TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Oasis

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Nothing related to Oasis is the greatest of all time, and they don't warrant an obsessive interest. That's only like two notches above intensely caring about the Goo Goo Dolls.

Get What's the Story, Morning Glory?, listen to it sporadically for '90s nostalgia, and then forget you have it. Works for me!

What's the Story really drops off after the fourth track (Don't Look Back in Anger) - five through eleven aren't worth listening to, and the version of Champagne Supernova they used for the final track is completely overblown and needs about three minutes hacked off of it.

Haven't heard any of their other albums.

The only non-What's The Story songs of theirs I've heard are "Sad Song", "Slide Away" "Stand By Me" and "Stop Crying Your Heart Out." So, I guess get What's The Story Morning Glory and download anything of theirs that starts with the letter "S."

Oasis is one of my favorite bands of all time. They saved me from the likes of "nu-metal."

If you are just trying to get into them, I would suggest either of their 3 first albums. Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory, and Be Here Now are all rather solid from start to finish.

Nothing related to Oasis is the greatest of all time, and they don't warrant an obsessive interest. That's only like two notches above intensely caring about the Goo Goo Dolls.

Get What's the Story, Morning Glory?, listen to it sporadically for '90s nostalgia, and then forget you have it. Works for me!

My sentiments exactly.

I will go against the grain and say that they are one of my favorite bands too. Well, not one of my favorite, because my favorite would have to be metal or Christina Aguilera, but they are really good. I have all their albums, and enjoy them all. I think Noel is a great songwriter, and the Gallaghers are also complete and total dicks, which I find hilarious.

You kind of know what you're getting, though. They have a rather distinct sound. So just get What's the Story, and if you like that a lot, you're safe with all the rest of their albums.

Watch their MTV unplugged, where Liam no shows and Noel has to sing the entire gig. Noels voice is much better than Liams..in my opinion.

I think that was the one where Liam shows up and claims throat problems then proceeds to go get drunk in the balcony and heckle the band while they're playing without him.

If that's not the definition of awesome I don't know what is.

i once made a mix cd of 80s and 90s jangly rock music, and i put "cigarettes & alcohol" on it. that's exactly how much appreciation they should be getting.

I'd also try and check out the following B-Sides: Acquise, Rockin' Chair, Sad Song, Slide Away, Stay Young, and The Masterplan. It's a shame Noel "threw" away so many solid B-Sides that really could've punched some of the albums up. Rockin' Chair was supposedly aimed to be on What's The Story but got shafted (instead we got some mediocre songs like Some Might Say, Cast No Shadow, and She's Electric and 2 short untitled instrumental filler tracks).

Acquiesce and Slide Away are both really great songs.

Also a lot of Oasis' songs are faster and edgier sounding when you hear their live versions and I think that works a lot better for them. Some Might Say is just plodding and slow on the album but the live versions I've heard are pretty good.

Watch their MTV unplugged, where Liam no shows and Noel has to sing the entire gig. Noels voice is much better than Liams..in my opinion.

I think that was the one where Liam shows up and claims throat problems then proceeds to go get drunk in the balcony and heckle the band while they're playing without him.

Okay, I have to find that. It sounds great.

It gets even better. When Noel and Liam decided to get rid of the booze and debauchery (some time after Be Here Now) half the band quit.

If you're looking for B-Sides just get the B-Side album, The Masterplan. Tons of classics that would have been definite singles had another band wrote them.

Oasis are a mainly UK phenomenon. They have had some success in the States, but mostly their first two albums. In Britain though it seems like they have been just massively popular. I do second the notion that Noel Gallagher is a better singer than Liam. Their best song in my opinion is Don't Look Back in Anger with Noel singing.

Anyway just pick up What's the Story Morning Glory and that should suffice.

I love Oasis. A lot of people stopped caring when "Be Here Now" bombed, but they got better eventually, to the point where "Don't Believe The Truth" is actually a great album. Hell, even now, when listening again, Be Here Now has some great catchy tunes, it's just that some of them sound really loud because they overproduced it.

If you just want single songs, "Acquiesce", "The Importance of Being Idle" and "Underneath the Sky" are some of my favourites.

Yeah, I really like some stuff off "Be Here Now" too. The problem with Oasis is they have quite a bit of filler on their albums and most of the filler is pretty bad or worthless. Ironic since a whole bunch of their b-sides and unreleased stuff is really really good.

Oasis also did a better

than Quiet Riot did.