TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

I don't know anything about Fukudome's hitting, so it's tentative in that regard. Also, don't you ever fucking use that fucking rolleyes smiley on me or anybody else. That's the international sign for "message board toolbox."

Czech showing the fire and the passion.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Whoa, I really exploded up there. Sorry about that, buddy. Gosh!

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I don't know anything about Fukudome's hitting, so it's tentative in that regard. Also, don't you ever fucking use that fucking rolleyes smiley on me or anybody else. That's the international sign for "message board toolbox."

Fukudome's comps are J.D. Drew and Bobby Abreu.

Keeping your players (no Pie instead of Fuld, for example), I'd say:

1. Fuld, CF

2. Fukudome, RF

3. Soriano, LF

4. Ramirez, 3B

5. Lee, 1B

6. DeRosa, 2B

7. Soto, C

8. Theriot, SS

9. Pitcher

I'd like to put DeRosa at 2 and move everyone else down (Fukudome 3, Soriano 4, etc.) but seeing Derrek Lee at 6 is just weird.

I know he's been compared to Abreu and Drew, but we haven't seen him face major league pitching yet, so I figured he's not ready to hit at #2 yet.

I can get behind that lineup.

I'd probably flip Soriano and Lee in that lineup since Lee has a higher OBP and Soriano is the better slugger, but otherwise it looks good.

On Fukudome and hitting major league pitching, I agree that we haven't seen him hit yet, but the only skill that will translate well is his strike zone recognition. I can't really foresee any scenario where those walks don't translate and that will keep the Obp up, unless of course he flat out can't hit anything. It's the power that I don't see making the trip from Japan.

In truly exciting news, the Brewers have resurrected the career of Gabe Kapler, and signed him to a 1 year deal.

Gabe spent 2007 managing in Boston's minor league system.

Looks like Geoff Jenkins is set to become a Phillie. Two years, $13 million with a vesting option for 2010 ($7 million). This one made too much sense not to happen. The Phils had righty bats at both corners of the outfield and Jayson Werth is an injury risk, so a lefty bat fits right into the roster.

I guess Chris Snelling is already on the disabled list. Went to the store to get milk and tore both his ACLs?

If Snelling's healthy, he's a good fifth outfielder and maybe more. But would you honestly depend on that?

Czech, Brian Roberts is maybe the best second baseman in the American League, and second best in baseball behind Utley. We can argue the moral implications of steroid use all we want. But everyone does it, and if it doesn't effect his performance to get named in the report, does it even matter?

Czech, Brian Roberts is maybe the best second baseman in the American League, and second best in baseball behind Utley. We can argue the moral implications of steroid use all we want. But everyone does it, and if it doesn't effect his performance to get named in the report, does it even matter?

It will make the Cubs look horrible if they acquire him, and they already look bad enough lusting after him. Stating your burning desire to obtain an admitted juicer is such terrible p.r. right now, and I want none of it. I'm happy with where we are at second, and I don't think it'd be worth what we'd have to give up.

Maybe I'm must desensitized, but I don't see the big deal. From the sounds of it, he wasn't a regular user. I know you can only take the word of any accused players with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't oppose a deal if they didn't trade the farm for him. Yeah, the Cubs have a boatload of second baseman, but this would be the first really good one and it'd give them a true leadoff hitter.

They'd have to give up Rich Hill and more. Bearing in mind that our rotation now features Ryan Dempster, I don't think we can afford to lose even a spotty and likely failed prospect such as Hill, because then we have Zambrano/Lilly/Marquis/Dempster/Marshall, and that just made me throw up.

Besides, "I did steroids once" probably means "I was on a shitload of stuff for a long time." I have a feeling that baseball is going to be less conducive to featuring players like Brian Roberts in the coming years. I want none of this.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Also, keep in mind that if you were on steroids but aren't anymore, you might start falling apart physically. You could see a huge decline in some of these guys who were on the juice for a while and then suddenly couldn't anymore due to testing. Just saying.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
MLB.com reports Josh Hamilton to the Rangers for Edison Volquez.

Their lineup is starting to come together very nicely. Once Bradley is healthy:

1B B. Broussard (vs. RHP), C. Shelton (vs. LHP)

2B I. Kinsler

3B H. Blalock

SS M. Young

LF F. Catalanotto

CF J. Hamilton

RF M. Bradley

DH J. Botts

Unfortunately, their rotation looks like:

1. K. Millwood

2. V. Padilla

3. B. McCarthy

4. K. Gabbard

5. K. Loe

They could contend for the Wild Card, though I don't see how anyone's going to take the division from the Angels.

The Rangers and Reds agreed on a trade Friday that will send outfielder Josh Hamilton to Texas in exchange for right-hander Edison Volquez and a Minor League pitcher.

Texas will have a press conference later in the day to announce the deal.

Hamilton was quite a feel-good story early last season. Acquired by Cincinnati from Tampa Bay via a Rule 5 Draft trade, the 26-year-old -- who had been troubled throughout his career as a professional by drug and legal problems -- got off to an impressive start.

A sprained wrist and a hamstring injury caused him to miss a good chunk of the second half of the season. He finished the season with a .292 batting average and had 19 home runs and 47 RBIs in 90 games.

The hard-throwing, 24-year-old Volquez fanned 166 batters while going 14-6 at three Minor League stops last season.

Most here probably know my love of Hamilton, and I hope he stays clean for the Rangers and plays up to his potential, but the Reds needed to move an outfielder with Jay Bruce coming up so it's okay.

Voloquez is the guy I wanted for Hamilton, it's been rumored for about 2 months in Cincy, but Texas was unwilling to part with Voloquez seeing as how he has a 98 mph fastball and an 83 mph changeup. He's a potential number one, and along with Bailey and Cueto gives the Reds three of the best pitching prospects in baseball, it's our Paul Wilson, Jason Isringhausen, and Bill Paulsipher if you will.

Here are Voloquez's stats from the minors last year: Volquez began this season in High-A and struggled mightily for reasons unknown, but moved up to AA and AAA and was nothign short of great. His combined stats from AA and AAA:

116.1 innings, 71 hits, 9 homers (all in AA), 40 walks, 128 strikeouts, 2.40 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 9.9 K/9

Despite Volquez doing good in AA and AAA last year, I am extremely saddened with this deal. I was hoping for Hamilton and Bruce being in the outfield together for years to come. I just don't see giving up Hamilton for a pitcher that hasn't done anything of note in the majors yet. He might turn out to be a true gem, but right now, I am not happy. What does everyone else think?

Despite Volquez doing good in AA and AAA last year, I am extremely saddened with this deal. I was hoping for Hamilton and Bruce being in the outfield together for years to come. I just don't see giving up Hamilton for a pitcher that hasn't done anything of note in the majors yet. He might turn out to be a true gem, but right now, I am not happy. What does everyone else think?

I think it's a good deal, because I'm of the opinion that Hamilton can not stick long term in center field. With Jay Bruce coming up, Hamilton is expendable. In a best case scenario, Cincy now has a good lineup and a potential future rotation starting with Aaron Harang, Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez and Homer Bailey. IF things break right, they could steal the Central this season or next.

The sad thing is if the Os trade Roberts and Bedard and dont acquire major league ready talent at certain positions (2B,SS,CF) it pretty much guarantees a guys like Brandon fahey starting at 2B, Luis Hernandez at SS and Freddie Bynum in CF for the Os in 2008.

If they do manage to trade off Bedard and Roberts..they might not even win 40 games next year, its going to be that bad. I thought the offense was anemic over the last few years, 08 looks like it could be shaping up to set some records for offensive futility.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
The sad thing is if the Os trade Roberts and Bedard and dont acquire major league ready talent at certain positions (2B,SS,CF) it pretty much guarantees a guys like Brandon fahey starting at 2B, Luis Hernandez at SS and Freddie Bynum in CF for the Os in 2008.

If they do manage to trade off Bedard and Roberts..they might not even win 40 games next year, its going to be that bad. I thought the offense was anemic over the last few years, 08 looks like it could be shaping up to set some records for offensive futility.

They should get a nickname, like The Triangle of Garbáge (garb-ah-zh).

You see?

...CF...

.. /...\..

SS - 2B

Triangle of Garbáge.

Yes, we all had a good laugh over that GRIT thing, but Nellie Fox was better than just "overrated cracker," wasn't he?

I expect Freddie Bynum to wind up with the Reds before this offseason ends. Gotta have Fast Freddie, dude.

Yes, we all had a good laugh over that GRIT thing, but Nellie Fox was better than just "overrated cracker," wasn't he?

Of course. Fox went to All-Star games in 12 seasons ans started seven of them. He often placed in MVP voting and won once, and he won multiple Gold Gloves. At the plate he was the third best second basemen at the plate, and he smoked those guys in the field. Probably the best second baseman of his time, though the guy who replaced him in Houston was pretty good too. Nellie Fox was basically Joe Dimaggio if he had no power.

Actually most of the guys on that list were good, especially as leadoff men. Unfortunately they tended to have short careers.

Edit: And Czech, I'm up early because I'm going to work. It's an hour earlier there. What's your excuse for being awake at this hour?

There's no rhyme or reason as to when I'm ever awake. Of the 24 hours in a day, each hour has an equal 50/50 chance that I'm sleeping. Today, I slept from 4.30 to 3.30. I had a big dinner and it was dark out.