TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

NFL Week 6: The Bills Could Not Pay Their Way To A Win

No, he could not.

It has to be frustrating for the offensive line and the recievers to be taking all that critisim for this game. They did a good job of protecting Harrington and the recievers ran good, smart routes while Joey was throwing the ball all over the place.

You can't hold the ball for 3 hours in the pocket and not expect to get pressure on you.

I wish he who will not be named had this kind of protection...

*sigh*

Why? Vick would just perceive pressure and take off anyways.

Miami Dolphins deal WR Chris Chambers to San Diego Chargers for a 2nd round pick. Why did Miami do that? Is there an issue with Chambers I don't know about?

I guess they are once again making a "we can't sign him, we need cap space" move and officially leaving the offense with little to no weapons. Frankly, I don't understand most of the moves the Dolphins make anymore.

Jesus, that's terrible. Unbelievably, the Dolphins might have been better off had Saban not left.

And the Bucs pick up Michael Bennett from Kansas City. Ask me my opinion on this in about eleven weeks.

Chris Chambers is one of the most overrated WRs in the league. He puts up some decent numbers, but it's because he's the only option there. Miami probably figured that since they aren't going anywhere they could cash in on Chambers and get some playing time for first round pick Ted Ginn Jr.

That's bullshit. As for him being the only option in Miami, during the past...uh, no. There were these two guys named McMichael and Williams that pulled down 50 receptions a piece. And shit, the year Ricky left, McMichael put up 73 catches.

He's never had a good QB to get him the ball, and he still pulled down 62 catches per year during his 6 full seasons in the league. I don't know who said good enough things about Chambers to suddenly make him overrated. That's news to me. You wanna talk about overrated receivers, talk about guys like Burress.

That's bullshit. As for him being the only option in Miami, during the past...uh, no. There were these two guys named McMichael and Williams that pulled down 50 receptions a piece. And shit, the year Ricky left, McMichael put up 73 catches.

He's never had a good QB to get him the ball, and he still pulled down 62 catches per year during his 6 full seasons in the league. I don't know who said good enough things about Chambers to suddenly make him overrated. That's news to me. You wanna talk about overrated receivers, talk about guys like Burress.

You mean Burress, the guy tied for the league lead in touchdown receptions despite the fact that a) he never practices, b) Shockey and Toomer are the other two "primary" options, c) they have a very good running game and d) their defense is so smothering of late that they rarely need to pass the ball in the fourth quarter?

Somebody must have impressed the Dolphins brass in the college game, because they're sending the all-out blitz for #1.

Chris Chambers is highly regarded for his speed and agility and that one Pro Bowl selection, but he's never been a good receiver. He drops passes and runs bad routes. He led the league in incomplete passes intended for him last year by a good margin. According to Football Outsiders, he was dead last among receivers in both DPAR and DVOA. He has never even been league average in catching passes intended for him. You attribute that to his QB, but he's played with 5 different starting QBs and his numbers haven't improved. At some point, you have to pin that on the player.

Name the good starting QB please.

Name the decent starting QB at least.

I am sorry but you just used a bunch of shit stats to say he is a bad receiver.

Simple logic. If you have bad QB throwing you the ball, there will be more incomplete passes thrown to you.

He has had one legged Daunte Culpepper, a few games of trent green, cleo lemmon, Gus Freotte, Sage Rosenfels, Jay Fiedler and AJ Feeley, Ray Lucas and Brian Greise throwing him the ball.

I agree. Eventually you blame the player. Unless it was those guys throwing him the ball. Then you blame the GM and the organization

I find it hard to blame everything on the QBs considering Booker and Welker were respectable according to the FO metrics. Last year, Chambers 39% catch percentage compared to the 60+% of Booker and Welker is a bit of an indictment. I think it is fair to say both sides of the pass-catch combo have been a problem.

I agree that I am not as big of a fan of the newer stats as I am with the newer baseball stats, but I don't think they can be completely disregarded.

And to semi-contradict myself in the same post. I like the deal for the Chargers. I still think SD is good enough that it will be a late second rounder and I think Chambers has the skill to give them a killer offense with Gates and LT (also letting Vincent Jackson go back to the compliment piece he is).

The only QB Chambers has played for that played worth a shit was Jay Fiedler, and that was during Chambers rookie season.

Last year, Chambers 39% catch percentage compared to the 60+% of Booker and Welker is a bit of an indictment.

There are a lot of things that can be a reason for that catch percentage. Coverage among them. Dumpoff routes like the ones Welker ran are going to garner a high percentage of catches on pass attempts.

You attribute that to his QB, but he's played with 5 different starting QBs

You just made my point for me. His QB's have been so shitty that the Dolphins have went through 5 of them.

You mean Burress, the guy tied for the league lead in touchdown receptions despite the fact that a) he never practices, b) Shockey and Toomer are the other two "primary" options, c) they have a very good running game and d) their defense is so smothering of late that they rarely need to pass the ball in the fourth quarter?

I don't like Plaxico Burress. I think he's lazy. Forgive me.

Mike Vrabel has 7 TDs receiving and he is a freaking linebacker. Plaxico also drops a bunch of passes and quits on a few passes too. He's a good receiver but he's probably not the guy that Eli Manning would need in order to solidify himself as a great quarterback.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't like Plaxico Burress. I think he's lazy. Forgive me.

I'm going to have to second your point on Plaxico Burress. Toomer has had injury problems and a dropoff in consistency, same thing with Shockey, who's gone far down the list of notable tight ends in the league, even if he's still up there. Manning's made it clear that Buress is his favorite receiver anyways, so he's going to get more looks, and please, the defense? The only teams that they've held under 20 points is an inconsistent Washington offense (who totally gave that win away earlier this year), a suddenly lost Philly squad, and the equally hapless Falcons.

In fact, their only quality win was over the Redskins thus far, and seeing as how they've got San Francisco and Miami lined up next before the bye, they'll look like they have a nice record.. until they have to run the gamut of NFC North defenses, rematch with the Redskins, and then finish off with Buffalo and New England. But hey, look at it this way, this will hopefully just get Tom Coughlin out the door a lot faster.

The only NFC North opponents left for New York aren't really threats to them. Chicago maybe if they somehow get their shit together and Minnesota if Peterson develops and their defense tightens up are the only potential losses for New York.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

We need a new offensive line or we'll never win again. I hope this means the end of Olin Kreutz, because that's one guy I don't like having to like.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Guy seems like kind of a sociopath, and not in the good Dick Butkus "I go out there to kill people" way. He beat the shit out of his teammate at a shooting range, and I'm surprised he just stopped there. He's the designated "threaten to hurt the media so they leave" guy, and the Chicago media, with their complete inability to objectively cover the Bears, just write fluff pieces about how "that Olin Kreutz sure is one tough guy!", framing the whole Fred Miller thing as just a friendly little play-fight. Everyone just wants to be buddies with the Bears, so you never get any quality reporting. The Lance Briggs car accident? "Well, I was hangin' at the club with Lance that night, and I don't think I saw him drinking, so if you're trying to say alcohol was involved, that just. isn't. true." I'm going off on a tangent here, I know, but it's kind of bothersome that they don't hold players accountable for anything. John Paxson gets a hard time for his draft choices, even though he's probably the best general manager in the city. I think the tide will soon turn on Lovie Smith, though.

Guest Vitamin X

Eh? John Paxson? What do the Bulls have to do with Olin Kreutz?

Also, I wasn't aware of those incidents with Olin, so that's something that's not really covered much by the national media.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I was talking about the Chicago media. The Bears players get off easy, the Cubs in general get off easy, the White Sox can get away with anything now, and nobody covers the Hawks. Only the Bulls seem to get criticized.