TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Best MLB Games By Decade

Is determining the best games of a foregone era by looking at game logs silly? After all, how can you fairly judge a game where no audio or video call exists? Quite the opposite. In the years before radio and television, fans would gather around newspaper and telegraph stations for live play-by-play readings of a game in progress. Many establishments during World Series games would receive game results in progress and display them on giant chalkboards or electronically operated scoreboards for interested fans. In essence, it was MLB Gameday 80 years before the advent of the internet. Reading the play-by-play of a game account is exactly the same as fans not in attendance would have received the game in that era.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/10021908.shtml

Cleveland 1, Chicago White Sox 0

October 2, 1908

With one week left in the 1908 pennant race, the Cleveland Naps trailed the Detroit Tigers by just half a game. The White Sox trailed by a game and a half. Ed Walsh pitched a complete game, striking out 15 batters and giving up a single run, unearned. Opposing pitcher Addie Joss pitched a perfect game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BO...191210160.shtml

Boston Red Sox 3, New York Giants 2, 10 Innings

October 16, 1912 (Game 8, World Series)

Thanks to a game two tie, this game eight meant do-or-die for both clubs. Christy Mathewson vs. Hugh Bedient. The Giants took the lead in the third, the Red Sox tied the game in the seventh. Red Sox ace Smokey Joe Wood took over in the eighth. In the tenth, Fred Merkle singled in the go-ahead run. The bottom of the inning however saw Fred Snodgrass's famous muff, and the Red Sox scored two runs to win the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WS...192410100.shtml

Washington 4, New York Giants 3, 12 Innings

October 10, 1924 (Game 7, World Series)

The lowly Senators had their first chance in franchise history to win a World Series. Trailing 3-1 in the eighth, Bucky Harris drove in two runs with a two-out single to tie the game. Walter Johnson, loser of two previous Series games, came in relief in the ninth. Johnson held the Giants scoreless for four innings. In the twelfth, Muddy Ruel doubled, Walter Johnson reached on an error, and Earl McNeely's double drove in Ruel for the win and the World Championship.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NL...193407100.shtml

AL All Stars 9, NL All Stars 7

July 10, 1934

If you know anything about this game, it is Carl Hubbell's five consecutive strikeouts. The rest of the game was a barn burner. Trailing 4-0 early, the AL stars came up with two in the fourth and six in the fifth. The bottom of the fifth saw the only steal of home in All-Star history, as Pie Traynor took home on the tail end of a double steal. Mel Harder relieved in that inning, with the score at the end 8-7 AL. Harder pitched five scoreless innings, keeping the NL stars at bay for the win.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BR...194710030.shtml

Brooklyn Dodgers 3, NY Yankees 2

October 3, 1947 (Game 4, World Series)

The Yankees led 2-1 in the ninth, up two games to one on the Brooklyn Dodgers. While putting the Dodgers in a three to one deficit would be big, the bigger story was Bill Bevens carrying a no-hitter into that inning. (The Dodgers run in the fifth came on two walks, a sacrifice bunt and a fielder's choice.) Leadoff hitter Bruce Edwards flew out to center. Carl Furillo walked, while Spike Jorgensen fouled out to the first baseman. Bill Bevens was one out away from World Series immortality. Dodger manager Burt Shotten sent Al Gionfriddo to pinch-run for Furillo, and Pete Reiser to pinch-hit for pitcher Hugh Casey. Gionfriddo stole second, prompting an intentional walk. The next batter, Cookie Lavagetto, hit a deep fly ball double to score both runs. The no-hitter was broken, and a 2-1 deficit became a 3-2 win for the Dodgers. Series tied at two games apiece.

Why walk Reiser to put the winning run on base? Reiser was an elite offensive force in that era. He finished in the top ten of the MVP balloting his three previous seasons (his resume would no doubt look more impressive had he not missed three years due to the war). Lavagetto had a good season, but was more or less a utility infielder with some plate discipline. He had batted just 69 times in 41 games that year, showing management valued his glove more than his bat. (In today's era, he would be an Oakland Athletic.) It is easy to see why Bucky Harris made that decision. Bevens was simply gassed. While no pitch count exists, Bevens had walked ten batters and struck out five. If not for the no-hitter in progress, there is no way he stays on the mound.

New York Giants 5, Brooklyn Dodgers 4

October 3, 1951

No boxscore handy, but you all know this one. Bobby Thomson hits a three-run home run to give the New York Giants a 5-4 victory and the National League pennant. The win is made more incredible by the fact that the Giants once trailed in the pennant race by 14.5 games. Books have been written on the game. I can not do it any justice with my own meager writing.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PI...196010130.shtml

Pittsburgh 10, NY Yankees 9

October 13, 1960 (Game Seven, World Series)

Most of you know Mazeroski's home run I assume. Serious fans (especially Yankee fans) know the Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 in this series. Still, the Pirates hung on to force game seven. The Bucs took a 4-0 lead in the game's first two innings. The Yankees fought back, scoring one in the fifth and four in the sixth. In the eighth, the Yankees scored two insurance runs to pad their lead to three. Things fell apart for the Yankees in the eighth. Two singles started the inning, the second of which hit shortstop Tony Kubek in the throat and forced him to depart. Two more singles cut the lead to one. With two outs and two on, Hal Smith hit a home run to give the Pirates a 9-7 lead.

The Yankees fought back, scoring two in the ninth off Bob Friend to tie the game. Bill Mazeroski led off the ninth with a home run, and the Pirates pulled a miraculous upset.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BO...197510210.shtml

Boston 7, Cincinnati 6, 12 Innings

October 21, 1975 (Game Six, World Series)

With ace Luis Tiant on the mound, the Red Sox took a 3-0 lead in the first. The Reds came back, scoring three in the fifth, two in the seventh and one in the eighth. With two out and two on in the bottom of the eighth, pinch hitter Bernie Carbo hit a home run on a 2-2 count to tie the game. Some brilliant defensive play kept the score tied until the bottom of the twelfth, when Carlton Fisk hit a leadoff home run to win the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HO...198610150.shtml

NY Mets 7, Houston 6, 16 Innings

October 15, 1986 (Game Six, National League Championship Series)

Take note of how many great games end with 7-6 scores. In any case, the Mets led the series three games to two, but a loss would put them in the Astrodome for game seven against the then untouchable Mike Scott. The Astros jumped to a 3-0 lead in the first inning. For eight innings, the Mets collected just two hits and a walk, with just one batter reaching second base. The Mets finally caught up to Bob Knepper in the ninth, scoring three runs and tying the game.

The Mets took a lead in the 14th inning on Wally Backman's single. In the bottom of the frame, Billy Hatcher hit a one-out home run off the left field foul pole. The Mets again struck in the 16th, scoring three runs. The Astros refused to go quietly. With one out, Davey Lopes walked, Bill Doran singled, and Hatcher singled as well, scoring Lopes. Denny Walling grounded out for the second out. Glenn Davis singled, scoring another run and putting the tying run in scoring position. Pitcher Jesse Orosco struck out the dangerous Kevin Bass to end the game finally, giving the Mets the National League pennant.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/AT...199910190.shtml

Atlanta 10, NY Mets 9, 11 Innings

October 19, 1999 (Game Six, National League Championship Series)

The wild card era and extra round of playoffs have cheapened the postseason, in my opinion. But expanded the playoffs from two to four in 1969 gave us a plethera of new classics, including this one. The Braves won the first three games of this series. The Mets though refused to go quietly. The Mets scored two in the eighth to win game four 3-2. In game five they scored two in the 15th inning to win; Robin Ventura's famous "grand slam single."

Al Leiter gave up five runs in the first inning, failing to record a single out. For most teams, comeback over. The Mets scored three in the sixth to make it a game. The Braves got two back in the bottom of the frame. The Mets tied it in the seventh. Unfortunately the Mets could not put the game away. They took leads in the eighth and tenth only to see those leads slip away. In the 11th, pitcher Kenny Rogers issued a bases loaded walk to Andruw Jones to lose the game, sending the Braves to the World Series.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NY...200310160.shtml

NY Yankees 6, Boston 5, 11 Innings

October 16, 2003 (Game Seven, American League Championship Series)

Most of you are familiar with this one. Pedro Martinez, running on fumes, coughs up a three-run lead in the eighth inning after his manager refuses to take him out of the game. Aaron Boone hits a walk-off home run in the 11th. Was it a bad decision by Grady Little? Defenders will tell you it is easy to second-guess that move in hindsight. My sitting on the cough screaming "take Pedro OUT!" was hardly hindsight. He was not fooling anyone, and it was only by luck that he even escaped the seventh.

I hate this game. It would be an exercise in masochism to watch it again and it's a grueling experience. So why was it the best game of the decade? I think it is because of the pure emotion is exhibits. The heights of exhilaration are possible only after the depths of depression. Games such as this one make winning later a bit sweeter. You notice many of the truly great games involved exercises in futility. The Red Sox lost game seven in 1975. The Astros fought back twice only to fall short. Ditto the Mets in 1999. The Giants lost the 1951 World Series in six games. The excitement is not in the result, it is the process.

These were some difficult choices, so I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback.

As a homer, I'd put game five of the Phillies/Astros 1980 series high on the list. Although it is given a boost by the greatness of the series. Still the Phillies coming back against Ryan gives the individual game some magic too.

Guest Smues

As a Braves fan I prefer the last game of the 92 NLCS to the 99 one, but I can't argue with it due to all the lead changes and overall crazyness whereas 92 just had a great 9th inning.

How about an honorable mention to the Cleveland/Seattle game in 2001 where the Indians came back from a 12 run deficit to win in extra innings?

I personally think that game 7 of the 91 World Series between the Braves and Twins is the best. You have Jack Morris pitching 10 innings giving up only 7 hits while battling the flu. John Smoltz pitched outstanding as well that game. The Twins win in the 10th inning with a bloop hit by Gene Larkin(!) to drive home the winning run in Dan Gladden.

In all honesty, It seems that the 91 World Series has somewhat been forgotten. IMO it is the best World Series ever, even with a blowout game 5 in which the Braves won 15-4.

Game 7 of the D-Backs/Yankees '01 World Series was the most emotion I have ever invested into a game. Growing up as a Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers hater, that was the culmination of my childhood - the final game of the year and a comeback win.

My homer pick -- Game 4 of the 1993 World Series (Blue Jays 15, Phillies 14). What didn't this game have? It was the longest WS game ever, and set records for combined hits (31) and runs (29). There was the insane performance by Lenny Dykstra, going 4-5 with 2 HR, 4 runs scored and 4 RBI. There was Tony Fernandez going 3-6 with 5 RBI. There was the ridiculous baserunning gaffe by Todd Stottlemyre in the second inning. The Blue Jays came back from two separate 5-run deficits to finally take the lead in the eighth, with Mitch Williams in the middle of one of the most spectacular meltdowns by a pitcher ever. Then there was the dominant pitching performance by Duane Ward to close the game. And the fact that it was pouring rain at times didn't hurt.

My homer pick is 1996 World Series, Game 4. Yankees 8, Braves 6 (10 Innings)

Braves go up 6-0 after 2 innings against Kenny Rogers, and the bullpen has to put in overtime to save the season as the Braves were up 2-1 in the Series. The Yanks chip away at the lead, and it's 6-3 after 6 innings. Then in the 8th, Bobby Cox starts the inning with Mark Wohlers who immediately gets into trouble with two runners on, and Jim Leyritz is sent to pinch hit. He fouls off pitch after pitch until connecting with a game tying three run homer to left field that effectively ended up ruining Wohlers' career. The Yanks would take the lead in the top of the 10th inning when Wade Boggs got a pinch hit, two out, bases loaded walk to tie up the Series at 2-2.

Edit: Here's the box score from Retrosheet

My homer pick is game 6 of the '98 NLCS. I suppose game 5 of the '84 NLCS is a good pick too but I was too busy shitting my diapers to appreciate it.

My favorite WS game is game 7 of the '97 series, even if neither team deserved to be there.