TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

ECW 12.18.07

I get a kick out of MVP using the "I'm Better Then You" line on Punk.

Yeah, unfortunately most people who watch ECW won't get how funny that is.

I still want CM Punk to turn heel eventually, and maybe that'll make its long overdue comeback.

These two are having a pretty damn good match, can't wait for them both to grow for another year or two and lock it up in a major ppv bout.

Punk needs to grow? He's a 9 year veteran. He just doesn't get the opportunity to do what he can because of the WWE style, which he's really picked up very well. He's had to forget more things then most WWE developmentals ever learn.

However, these could/should be main event acts in the future.

Chavo? Oh, for crying out loud. If it means BDV/Henry is done, then yay.

No one's perfect and yes from what I've heard from many wrestlers if you stop growing it's time to stop wrestling. I am a huge CM Punk fan, but yeah they had a pretty good match tonight. Hope to see them again.

Punk has shit going on with 4 different people now. What's Chavo's motivation? Punk was friends with Eddie as well, so Chavo hates him!

I'm fine with the MVP finish since it would suggest they'd have a rematch with Punk getting the better of MVP but Chavo coming out and laying Punk to waste was a huge stretch. It's one thing with Henry and BDV, but Chavo?

Well... that ending sucked balls.

Punk has shit going on with 4 different people now. What's Chavo's motivation? Punk was friends with Eddie as well, so Chavo hates him!

I'd assume he wants the ECW title.

They could do a 96 like HBK style reign here with Punk, have him knock out a defense against MVP, Mark Henry, Big Daddy V, and Chavo. That gets him past mania unless they do a 3 way with Punk vs the two big guys, or use tv for more title defenses.

Punk vs Chavo is exactly what I wanted. Chavo is a good guy to put against Punk to raise him to the next level. I can't see his issue with Striker, Henry and V being over, though, but if they were planning for this, you may as well have had Kane take the loss. Well, I'm hoping to see one or two Punk/Mysterio vs MVP/Chavo tags in the near future.

Was this the first of Chavo since he got suspended? I haven't paid close attention to Smackdown.

On TV, yea......he's been doing darks for awhile.

Chavo lost a loser leaves Smackdown or I Quit Smackdown match to Rey, and Punk's the top guy in the brand so that's why he attacked him.

Oh no, I left early and missed CHAVO~!

Seriously, half the crowd left as Smackdown! ended and another fourth poured out throughout ECW; more with each match. I love the way ECW comes across on TV, but nobody there cared at all. They especially killed the crowd with a 10 minute dark match between KC James and some Lashley clone wearing Khali tights.

Seriously, half the crowd left as Smackdown! ended and another fourth poured out throughout ECW; more with each match. I love the way ECW comes across on TV, but nobody there cared at all. They especially killed the crowd with a 10 minute dark match between KC James and some Lashley clone wearing Khali tights.

Dead serious. That James/Lashley clone match was a goddamn abortion. James fucked up a hammerlock powerslam by breaking away from the hammerlock and FLAILING HIS INJURED ARM AROUND. He did this for a good two seconds before PUTTING IT BACK IN THE HAMMERLOCK like we wouldn't notice.

Also, note that the live crowd was given no explanation for Chavo's run-in whatsoever. Whatever he said to Punk in the ring we couldn't hear.

It's totally their fault on that one, we were hot as hell coming out of the end of Smackdown and then the long stall for ECW's set up (complete with them draping curtains over the back 2 screens while simultaneously breaking the feed on the four central screens, giving everybody just the screen above the ECW entrance to look at) with that god-awful match to "re-ignite" us...we were absolutely dead for Punk/MVP which came across as completely awful live.

Dead serious. That James/Lashley clone match was a goddamn abortion. James fucked up a hammerlock powerslam by breaking away from the hammerlock and FLAILING HIS INJURED ARM AROUND. He did this for a good two seconds before PUTTING IT BACK IN THE HAMMERLOCK like we wouldn't notice.

Also, note that the live crowd was given no explanation for Chavo's run-in whatsoever. Whatever he said to Punk in the ring we couldn't hear.

It's totally their fault on that one, we were hot as hell coming out of the end of Smackdown and then the long stall for ECW's set up (complete with them draping curtains over the back 2 screens while simultaneously breaking the feed on the four central screens, giving everybody just the screen above the ECW entrance to look at) with that god-awful match to "re-ignite" us...we were absolutely dead for Punk/MVP which came across as completely awful live.

You summed it up nicely. Smackdown! was awesome. The break was too much. For those unaware as how thse tapings work, they film Smackdown in about 1:30-1:40 then wait; in this case over 40 min for ECW to go Live. They teased going live with the classic live crowd shot commercial promo on Sci-Fi then gave us a bad dark match that killed the crowd. I bought my ticket today mainly for MVP/Punk and couldn't even sit through it. I was exhausted from marking out enough for Smackdown! and mainly yelling "COME ONNNNNNN REFF!"

and also "FESTUS IS A BRUTE" during dead silence in that match. Section 224. Good times.

Was the "Lashley Clone", Charles Evans? In a spot like that, they need to have more known personalities work. Throw Noble and Dreamer out there and give them 10 minutes instead of two unknowns to kill a crowd during the wait. Try-outs and OVW guys should work before SD starts.

Was the "Lashley Clone", Charles Evans? In a spot like that, they need to have more known personalities work. Throw Noble and Dreamer out there and give them 10 minutes instead of two unknowns to kill a crowd during the wait. Try-outs and OVW guys should work before SD starts.

It was indeed Charles Evans. Over the full four hours we were there, the participants in this match were the only two I couldn't name immediately, which was a horrific omen I wish I'd heeded, because I was starving.

Section 31 (my section, thank you StubHub) was a mishmash of people. If at any point during Smackdown or ECW you hear someone who sounds like a twelve year old girl professing her love for a wrestler, that was one of the two young twats sitting directly behind us.

Fun fact, when Nunzio plunged into the crowd and ended up losing his hat, he did it right at the end of our row. I was sitting next to the drunk guys who he leaned on and shook his fist with, and Nunzio threw his hat directly at my face. Thankfully the guy right in front of me grabbed it and gave it to his kid, because I was so startled and the other guys were so drunk that if he hadn't snatched it, it definitely would've just smacked me in the face.

Chavo lost a loser leaves Smackdown or I Quit Smackdown match to Rey, and Punk's the top guy in the brand so that's why he attacked him.

So that means Chavo is on ECW now? I like it, unless they do something where because Vicki is the GM she re-instated Chavo for Smackdown and he just decided to attack Punk because that's the only face with a title on either ECW or Smackdown.

There was never any stipulation that Chavo would leave Smackdown if he lost the I Quit match. That was simply a way to write him out for his suspension. He's still on the SD roster page.

Evans has been doing a lame Sgt. Craig Pittman type army gimmick down in OVW. This would also be while feuding with Justin "The Ox" Larouche (SP?), with Ox doing a really awful and embarrassing blackface skit.

The crowd was dead for the Chavito beatdown run-in, but I dug it nonetheless. I've been calling for Punk to get to feud with wily veteran ring general types to keep pushing him in the ring. I've been calling for Finlay, but Chavo will work as well.

What I think ECW needs to do is be taped before SD! rather than airing live after a full SD! taping. I mean it would have been like taping Velocity after SD! back in the day. Tape ECW first to ensure the crowd isn't tired out and deflanted before their taping. It will come across much better on air that way. And you could still sweeten SD! crowd noise if they fade by the end of SD! in the three days between the taping and the airing on Friday nights.

I don't like that Elijah Burke is getting left behind though. I mean he is the person to bring Benjamin over and then is forced to the sidelines in a way because of him? That makes no sense. While I love Burke on ECW, I think he might be better off moving to SD! fulltime.

I continue to be impressed by both C.M. Punk and M.V.P. As far as 10 minute matches go, this one was really good. I think wrestling needs more DQ's and countouts like this. I can't remember the last time someone was disqualified for not releasing a hold. Maybe Andre at WM5.