TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Perfxion

TSM Person of the year

One of those threads... Anyways, I was thinking of 4 simple questions to see who we would pick as the biggest news stories of the year.

1: Who is your opinion is the biggest news grabber of 2007?

2: What was the biggest story for the year?

3: What was the story with too much main stream attention?

4: What was the story with the least ammount of mainstream attention that deserve much more?

My answers:

1: I picked Britney Spears in media's endless obsession to make everything into the major story breaking news story.

2: The Dog Fighting Saga that is Michael (Con)Vick. He has to be the dumbest person in America.

3: Senator Craig and his wide stance.

4: Jena 6 being a real news story in 2007 with backwoods town logic last seen in 1957.

The 2008 presidential election. The campaign started near the beginning of 2007 and just kept going on to the point all Americans just wish it was over with.

The arrival of the burst of the housing market and the burst of the credit bubble. It dominated the summer's headlines and has continued to dominate the fall news spilling into a political issue.

3: What was the story with too much mainstream attention?

Don Imus's comments concerning the Rutger's women's basketball team. Were they bad? Absolutley and he should've been reprimanded and served a suspension. However, to be fired in light of them, especially when the all the "outrage" built up several days later, was ridiculous. At least we can be glad they didn't lead to a huge clampdown on freedom of speech on the airwaves.

4: What was the story with the least amount of mainstream attention that deserve much more?

The defeat of Hugo Chavez at the polls in Venezuela to rewrite the Constitution and consolidate political power. I could say the same for nearly every OTHER international story in U.S. news but the MSM always ignores these things until they become chaotic.

I would probably have to agree with the constant coverage of Britney Spears.

I suppose the Mike Vick story because that was the first thing that popped into my mind. Danville, made an excellent choice as well.

3: What was the story with too much main stream attention?

The Anna Nicole Smith saga. Although the election coverage for 2008 was a close 2nd.

4: What was the story with the least ammount of mainstream attention that deserve much more?

The Jena 6 case. Clearly shows that the media was afraid of handling a case that shows racism is still a deep seeded issue in the United States.

Granted it is important, but we still have 11 months to go and they have already been campaigning for nearly a year.