TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Coaches have to pick reserves as 2 Guards, 2 Forwards and 1 Center. Then he can pick any other 2 guys.

Here are my reserves.

Eastern Conference

G Jose Calderon

G Chauncey Billups

F Caron Butler

F Chris Bosh

C Zydrunas Ilgauskas (On espn.com, they don't have Bosh as a C, otherwise sliding him in there would make things easier).

F Paul Pierce

F Josh Smith

Toughest omissions: Joe Johnson, Antawn Jamison, Rip Hamilton, Richard Jefferson

Western Conference

G Chris Paul

G Steve Nash

F Carlos Boozer

F Dirk Nowitzski

C Chris Kaman

C Amare Stoudemire

G Baron Davis

Toughest omissions: Marcus Camby,Deron Williams, Josh Howard, Stephen Jackson, Al Jefferson, David West, Brandon Roy

None of my choices were really that tough. I guess leaving Baron Davis out, but I don't see why he should go ahead of Roy, unless you're going solely on stats.

Joe Johnson shouldn't be a tough omit for anyone. He is averaging 21 points and shooting 40 percent. he is bascically Kevin Durant right now.

Guest Blue Man Czech
Doc Rivers should be coach of the year

The same Doc Rivers that Boston wanted to set on fire for like two years? Suddenly he's not just no longer bad, but the best coach in the league, because he has the fortune of coaching Kevin Garnett? Come on. You could hand Coach of the Year to Jerry Sloan based on lifetime achievement irrespective of this season's record, and it wouldn't be as fucking retarded as awarding it to Doc Rivers.

Guest Blue Man Czech

No, Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge are like the opposite of Bledsoe Island. They were utterly worthless until Kevin Garnett joined the Celtics. Now Danny Ainge has gone from the biggest idiot in the history of idiots to the executive of the year. I wouldn't wanna hang out with Ty Law and Roger Clemens either, anyway.

I think it's Nate McMillian, and it's really not that close. The only others I would even consider at this point are Stan Van Gundy and (to a lesser extent) Byron Scott.

Edited by alfdogg

Portland is shooting down the Western Conference standings, so right now, I'd have to say Byron Scott.

Guest Vitamin X

They've got a pretty easy schedule coming up soon, and it won't take long for them to come right back up the standings, I'd imagine. All of their losses lately have come to fairly good, possibly playoff-bound teams.

That's true, all of their games up to the 24th except for the Detroit game are realistically winnable. If they were to make the playoffs, I'd easily say that McMillan is the Coach of the Year.

Guest Vitamin X

So, who coaches the East, then? Or should they just have Scott coach the East and McMillian the West?

I meant for coach of the year.

And Bledsoe island should have been called Antoine Walker Island long ago.

Guest Vitamin X

I think the Boston fans were ungrateful for ol' Drew's services before Walker. Walker was relatively recently, like what, 2003 or so? Bledsoe was shipped off without a care in New England after 2001.

I like how people completely no-sell Doc's legitimately successfuly coaching record with a snakebit Orlando team, and the fact that he coached a weak Celtics team to a winning record and the playoffs his first season there, and utterly hone in on the last two seasons, as if they're the only pre-Garnett coaching experience he's ever had.

Not saying he should be coach of the yeat, but goddamn.

Guest Blue Man Czech

Doc Rivers's record with Orlando isn't germane to the argument. It's the fact that after we've heard people calling for his head for two years, it's funny to hear his name thrown around as the best coach in the league because Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett dropped by. I'm aware that Doc got the Celtics to the playoffs. Are Celtics fans? They're the ones calling anywhere up to the last fifteen seasons "the dark ages."

Yeah. boston fans are funny. Rivers had those kids playing well, but honestly, was that team supposed to be any better than they actually were? They sucked because he had a team of 15 year olds.

And yeah, Bledsoe was first, but i believe that Walkers was worse. During those "dark years" where they were in the Eastern Conference finals and semifinals he and pierce were the entire team. But as soon as he got traded it was "Fack Antwan Walka".

And they sucked. Then they got him back and they made the playoffs. Then he ended up in Miami and it was all "I hope ya happy with that fackin bum, Walka."

Antoine Walker should have done some priting outs of him taking a portrait with his championship ring on his middle finger and that "fuck yall" look on his face and had a plane drop them all over the Boston area.

Is it really outlandish to say that a coach who's team had like 4 losses I think at the time I wrote that should be first half coach of the year? And your reasoning is that he shouldn't win because moron Boston fans didn't like the guy before this year and "he has Kevin Garnett"? Really? Flip Saunders had KG for how many years?

He got em in the playoffs his first year, the year after that the C's were rebuilding on the fly with a ton of young players, and last year was the same thing but with Pierce injured. He did a good job in Orlando, had them at .500 or above every year, including that first year where the team was a who's who of journeymen and scrubs, Ben Wallace was having his breakout year, Darrell Armstrong was the go-to guy and F'n Pat Garrity was their second leading scorer. Why does it matter what Celtics fans supposedly think, I'm not a Celtics fan.

They're in a bit of a rut now and either way my answer probably would have been different by the end of the year, but he took what's basically a 3 man team with nothing at point guard or much in the way of a bench and had them playing great team defense and sitting on the best record in the league. It's pretty ignorant to put all of that solely on KG.

Gotta side with Roy here. The Celtics were in the pickle they were in the last couple years at the hands of Ainge, not Rivers. Rivers is a pretty good coach, although personally I can't stand the guy.

However, the Celtics had made the playoffs three straight years when he got there, so to say he "led" them to the playoffs is somewhat misleading. And since I'm sure someone will say "but they went from the 8 seed to the 3 seed!" They won the weakest division in basketball, and that was only after Antoine Walker fell into their laps at the trade deadline. I'm not much a fan of Walker myself, but what did Pierce ever do without him? Nothing.

BTW, you guys are forgetting Adam Vinateri on Bledsoe Island.