TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

Guest blame that goot.

Cowboy Numbers is kind of running head-first into walls here.

Guest blame that goot.

Your posts and TheOriginalOrangeGoblin's (honestly now?) are all sort of running together in my head. I can't remember who said what. Anyway, Born in the U.S.A. is a shitty album.

The Beatles are a moment in time.

It is like a "Greatest Basketball Player" argument...

The Beatles are like Jordan.

Sure, you can argue it...but...for those that know...there was no close second....they were THE BAND from 1964-1969....period. No band has ever been so universally appealing. End of discussion. Sure, some hate them. But, the number of those that like and respect is much higher...especially in the musical community....

Do I like Springsteen and Pearl Jam better? Yes. I do. But, without the Beatles...neither exists. At least not the same way. And there are countless bands you could say that about....they were like N'Sync meets Elvis meets Dylan meets Nick Cave meets Raffi meets...fuck...everything...hell...one of my favorite "albums" is a mix I made of the best tracks off McCartney...Plastic Ono Band/Imagine...Ringo...and All Things Must Pass...they still had one more left in them....

Have other bands gone different places...of course...but the Beatles opened a door...a door built by others....

In fact...I once read a critique that compared Rock'N Roll to a chair...and the Beatles are the seat...maybe not the legs...but...they gave you something to sit on and improve on...

So...it's fine to not like them personally...but...to say they are crap means you don't know a damn thing bout music.

Guest blame that goot.

No it isn't! It has poorly aged synthesizers and is really heartland-y and dopey! Every album before it was better! Especially the first two!

I won't say Born In The USA was terrible (I have too much nostalgia for it to make that assesment) but Czech is definitely right in saying it was his worst album up to that point. Heck, I probably like the follow-up Tunnel of Love more.

No it isn't! It has poorly aged synthesizers and is really heartland-y and dopey! Every album before it was better! Especially the first two!

Yes, it wasn't his best album but from the Bruce albums left, it was by far my favorite. Plus it's got a lot of nostalgia value for me which is plays a pretty damn big part in deciding what I want to listen to for eternity.

Guest blame that goot.
Born in the U.S.A can't be a good album, its title track was used in Ronald Reagan's presidential campaign.

Idiotic.

I think "For You" has more lyrics than the entire Born in the U.S.A. album. I like verbose Bruce. Which albums were taken already?

You took The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle (my favorite as well) IIRC and someone else took The River. I know there's more but those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

But that makes it hilarious since the campaign clearly had no idea what the song was about when they picked it.

Yeah, but people who've misinterpreted the song in general are also a large part of the reason that it's really hard to actively enjoy it.

Born in the U.S.A can't be a good album, its title track was used in Ronald Reagan's presidential campaign.

Idiotic.

I think "For You" has more lyrics than the entire Born in the U.S.A. album. I like verbose Bruce. Which albums were taken already?

Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge of Town, Nebraska. There has been more Bruce taken than any other artist, by far.

Idiotic.

Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge of Town, Nebraska. There has been more Bruce taken than any other artist, by far.

Not really. I count 5 albums now, same as Pink Floyd, and one more than Bowie or GnR. And RHR took 3 of them!

Ok, I don't THINK this album counts as a compilation album, but if it does lemme know and I'll change my pick to something else.

Neil_young_silver_gold_cd.jpg

"Silver & Gold" by Neil Young

I thought about picking "Rust Never Sleeps" but I generally find myself skipping around that album more than I listen to it. And whenever someone comes up with a "what songs do you listen to the most" thread, I look at my iTunes thing and see that "Without Rings" and "Razor Love" are in the top three more often than not. There've been times I've listened to this album a couple times a week and didn't even realize it. I love me some Neil Young, and this is my favorite album of his.

Guest blame that goot.

There's a difference between an errant keystroke and misusage. That said, trying to take a limp-wristed swipe at Ronald Reagan by way of a shitty Springsteen album isn't germane to the conversation at all.

Dammit...I forgot I have to pick two at a time...sorry...as long as it's okay with everyone...here is a personal favorite of mine....great pop rock songs...i must have worn thru the tape back in 98 when it came out...not a very popular album...but...they were about five years early....with the right promotion they could have been much bigger...

so...if no one is against me still picking...

My pick is Athenaeum "Radiance"

B0000062RP.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

And as far as the whole Springsteen/Born in the USA thing goes...it's a pretty weak album as far as his other work goes...but...not a BAD album. I personally remade it myself but combined it with some other tracks that were left off like "Murder Incorporated", "This Hard Land", and "Frankie"---then took out "Working on the Highway" and "Darlington County" (two songs I hate). I personally feel, and always have felt, "Downbound Train" is by far the best song on the album...followed by "I'm Goin' Down"...