TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

Guest Vitamin X

B000002LOE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

R.E.M. - Out of Time (1991)

I don't think this is a very popular band among most of the posters here, but I love me some R.E.M., and I just chose this album out of all the ones I had. I don't like Shiny Happy People, but the rest of the album is pretty damn solid, with "Losing My Religion" being the big single off the album here, and probably one of my favorite songs while I was growing up.

pink-floyd-ummagumma.jpg

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (1969)

Dark Side of the Moon? Fine, take it. The Wall? I don't mind. Ummagumma is actually my favorite Pink Floyd album- they do psychedelic ambient type rock probably better than most any other band from that era, and it pairs perfectly with my Moody Blues album and Godspeed You! Black Emperor from earlier.

Maybe I'll take some hip hop later.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
A lot of Zappa's records are companion pieces to each other. That doesn't mean that they were released as part of the same package, just that they share many musical elements. He was so prolific that this was bound to happen from time to time.

I was refering to the semantic field of instruments that appear on Waka/Jawaka.

I had a really tough time selecting just one album from his jazz period, but I'd be happy with any or all of them.

31NMFTT70HL.jpg

"California" by Mr. Bungle

After what I'd heard about Mr. Bungle back when the only Mike Patton band I'd heard was Faith No More, I was surprised by how accessible this album was. I'd say it's one of my favorite rock albums, but hardly any of it is what I'd classify as "rock." "Sweet Charity" and "Vanity Fair" in particular, two of my favorite songs on the album, are nothing like the alt metal Faith No More or even any of the other Mr. Bungle stuff. But "Retrovertigo" is far and away my favorite of the album, and probably my favorite by the band as a whole.

downboundtrain_alb-bitusa.jpg

'Born In The USA', Bruce Springsteen

- I gotta get some Bruce before it's all taken so might as well go with his biggest album. The poppiest album of his career but also the funnest (with the very strong presence of the E-Street Band, moreso than on any other album of his barring 'Born To Run') to listen to while still retrospective and a slice of small-town life as we've come to expect from Bruce.

outside of love supreme, blonde on blonde, and purple rain, i will get all of my choices. its quire surprising how little i like msot of the albums that have been selected. like, we're choosing born in the usa over abbey road. you people are fucked.

outside of love supreme, blonde on blonde, and purple rain, i will get all of my choices. its quire surprising how little i like msot of the albums that have been selected. like, we're choosing born in the usa over abbey road. you people are fucked.

Fuck the Beatles. Springsteen owns them and their mothers.

ok, now how can we take anything you say seriously?

Guest blame that goot.
the very strong presence of the E-Street Band, moreso than on any other album of his barring 'Born To Run'

You're high. Shut up. There's more E Street on, like, every album before that one.

Why, cause I think Springsteen is better than the Beatles? I don't think that's far fetched at all.

bbrown.jpg

Yeah. Sure. This was supposed to be Off The Wall...and the next big Bobby Brown album was gonna be Thriller. At least that's what everyone thought in 1989-1990. Make no mistake about it...this album is full of gems. My Prerogative. Roni. Every Little Step. The title track. Rock Wit'cha. Just a really good, clean, pop with swagger album.

And for a good laugh...watch the video from Ghostbusters II....On Our Own...watch for Trump....then feel really wierd when you see what comes after the Donald.

Why, cause I think Springsteen is better than the Beatles? I don't think that's far fetched at all.

of course you don't.

of course you don't.

Which makes me right and you wrong. Thank you, good night.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm going to forego my next two picks to kill Ravenbomb's face.

My own fault, though, for letting that slide.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

057.jpg

Isis-Panopticon

I'm just going to corner the market on Isis since they're the best thing ever. The more I've been listening to it, this might be better than Oceanic. It opens stronger, anyway. The first three tracks on here are just...it. Sprout wings and turn in to God levels of great.

Discipline.jpg

King Crimson-Discipline

Their best aside from Red, which I chose earlier. Arguably the zenith of progressive rock in the 80s.

Aw, we have the same two favorite KC albums now! I was Starless for a while but Red won.

Beatles vs. Boss...can't think of anything Springsteen would win for me, except for the fact that he did anthemic windows-down or slightly drunk music way better than they did ("Born to Run" being the most obvious example). For me, I know I've left a lot of Beatles on the shelf in this just because I've kind of burnt them out in my head. Almost for the same reason Gene is passing on Sabbath--note for note, I know them perfectly, so maybe I want to fill this list of 20 with some of the more experimental growers in my collection. At this point, I've already lost half of what would normally fall in my top-20 of all time, so it's getting to be more about things I love but haven't been focused on since I was 12.

I completely forgot my last pick. Anyway here it is.

B00005RY7X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Andrew WK - I Get Wet

This is one of my favorite albums of all time and I would be at a loss to not bring in to a deserted album. So fun, so raucous, so filled with life. Its happiness would prevent me from being an angry schizophrenic and more of a happy go lucky sociopathic existence.

Plus, I could sing along to it forever.

Guest blame that goot.

What's the point of comparing the Beatles to Springsteen? But then you'd say what's the point of comparing anyone? I like both, but I don't know how to measure "Kitty's Back" against "In My Life." But honestly, Cowboy Numbers, that album you picked sucks.