TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

I wouldn't take any Nirvana in 100 picks.

that means more nirvana for the rest of us. in utero rules, guy. get over it. embrace it!

my next pick is almost a tribute to...

nirvana - in utero 1993

can't believe this is still around.

I thought the same thing about Nirvana in general when I was writing up my Radiohead blurb, and actually went back to check the list of picks on the first page. We're past 100 albums now, so anything great that gets grabbed is going to seem like finding a 10-year starter at left tackle on Sunday.

Yeah, I'm officially distraught now. In Utero is actually one of my top three favorite albums ever, and I gambled that it would be around when the picks came my way next round. Should have known better.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

This is a whole 'nother thread, but what are you guys getting out of that album? I don't even think it's good.

Is the burden of proof on me, then?

This is a whole 'nother thread, but what are you guys getting out of that album? I don't even think it's good.

Is the burden of proof on me, then?

Hard to say that it's a good album in terms of cohesion. I'm not a fan of most of the songs outside of "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle" and "All Apologies" but then again "Lounge Act" is my favorite song of theirs.

I really dislike "Dumb" and "Heart Shaped Box" and most of the other songs are forgettable in terms of memorable hooks in comparison to Nevermind.

Being much more of a jazz novice than I should be, that was the one I was thinking about taking, just to have some in the collection. Alas. Anyway, I wonder how many "YOU SONOFABITCH"-esque replies I'll get for this one:

417Z30NK2GL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Slint - Spiderland

Every collection needs an apocalypse. One of the most explosive and emotionally devastating albums I know, Spiderland is 6 harrowing songs. That's it. Weird, dreamlike narratives of the dead heartland, strange time signatures, and loud-soft-really loud at its finest. I always want to have this album with me, for thunderstorms and other such awesome occasions. I MISS YOOOOOOOU, indeed.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I can live without it, but it's really really great. Surprised it made it this far considering who's playing.

I'm starting to get a little more confident that my next pick is going to survive.

Guest Vitamin X

f8a739aba945c2bbf59d2c749a0dd0cb_full.jpg

Agalloch - The Mantle

Awesome ambient not-sure-quite-what-to-classify-it metal. In my opinion, their best work, although their new album is really good as well, but this was the album I used to just chill to forever at night. Panders to a particularly dark or morbid mood too, and the final song's lyrics are almost comically morbid to the point of being gothy, but it's such a good album overall I had to have it.

B0000058SE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mogwai - Young Team

Pretty much one of the bands that got me into post-rock. It's their first, but I feel like they got it right on the first try, even though I like Young Team and Happy Songs for Happy People. I figured my post-rock selections would stay safe until the later rounds, but I'm upset about Edwin taking the Pixies earlier, and the slew of Velvet Underground taken in the last couple rounds. Had to chip in here.

hey penis, keep your hands off our jazz, poser.

mib has the credentials, but i hate him for taking love supreme already. i kinda dislike tsar for kind of blue.

Well, I was after new music for my fast approaching boring playlist on ipod, these thread seems a good a place as any to delve into. Plus, it will allow me to vote fairly, rather then just vote for the guy whose stuff I've actually heard/got.

aerosmith19735vf.jpg

Aerosmith- Aerosmith 1973

Seeing as how my other one didn't count :angry: , I needed a re-do, so here is my *real* pick, Aerosmith's self titled debut. I have a hard time choosing between this and "Rocks" but I just go back to this one more often. "Dream On" and "Mama Kin" are classics but I really like the lesser known tracks on the album. "One Way Street", Write Me", and "Movin' Out"(I believe the first song Steven Tyler and Joe Perry wrote together) are so damn catchy and their cover of "Walkin' The Dog" is fantastic and will always get stuck in my head after listening to it. Overall, a great debut and the start of an awesome string of albums that lasted throughout the 70's.

I still can't believe that Velvet Underground album lasted this long, although the fact that the fans they do have tend to be so passionate about them may have caused me to overestimate their popularity.

Vitamin X: A good way to describe The Mantle would be Folk Black Metal or Post Black Metal.

I still can't believe that Velvet Underground album lasted this long, although the fact that the fans they do have tend to be so passionate about them may have caused me to overestimate their popularity.

I thought about taking some VU at various points, as high as pick #4, but made arguments in my head to prioritize other stuff instead. One of the problems there was that I couldn't decide which of their albums I would want, while I knew pretty solidly what I wanted from whom in other cases.

Yeah, I'll go ahead and take The Velvet Underground and Nico, if it's actually my turn. (Whither Darthtiki?)

When the draft first started, I was actually banking on taking 1969: The Velvet Underground Live late in the game, until I found out that it's actually compiled from two different live recordings, which would disqualify it from selection here. Ultimately, though, I think they slid through the draft because the four "proper" VU albums are all well-regarded and, as a result, there was a lot to choose from. From a drafting perspective, there is much less scarcity around the Velvet Underground's catalogue than, to cite a recent example, a group like Slint, who have one seminal album and then nuthin'.

Since I didn't get a PM until today about being on the clock, here is my pick.

l2144.jpg

Save Ferris - It Means Everything 1997

In keeping with the Orange County vibe of my last pick, I chose this album because of its poppy-ska goodness. Monique Powell's vocals are fantastic. Unfortunately, this band got overshadowed by that other female fronted, ska influenced band from OC. "The World is New" is fantastic as well as the cover of "Come On Eileen", plus how can you not love an album with a song dedicated to SPAM.

214.jpg

Slayer - South of Heaven

I'd have prefered Reign In Blood, but I like this nearly as much. I probably listen to it more, actually. It's slower, which is good and bad, but I don't think it loses any impact over it. This is still a fucking sick album, and content wise is as dark as anything Slayer's done.

Probably would have went sooner, but with RiB gone, and my having to grab Master of Puppets, I figured it'd be safe to hold off on more thrash. I was correct.

For a moment, I'd considered taking the "alone on the island" part of the OP too seriously, but then I decided to go with this, anyway:

41XJTMF54NL._AA240_.jpg

Teddy Pendergrass - Life is a Song Worth Singing

When they came up with the phrase "baby making music," they were talking about Teddy F. Pendergrass. While there are other albums by Teddy with songs I like better, this one has more disco tracks, and would be better suited to a solitary island life. Honestly, I like Teddy a little better, but you can't properly appreciate Come Go With Me and Turn Off the Lights without the company of the opposite sex... ;)