TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

the Spurs picking up Kurt Thomas is such a ridiculously perfect move. It's not a blockbuster, but it gives them exactly what they need for the playoffs - a good big man who can rebound and defend. He can play right alongside Duncan and the Spurs frontline can now at least match up pretty decently with ANY frontcourt in the league, from gasol/bynum, to Shaq/amare, wallace/mcdyess, KG/whoever.

Exactly. And that's why the Spurs are who they are.

Akron Beacon Journal says that the Cavs are close to pulling off a blockbuster trade that will re-shape their roster (not the aforementioned Mike Miller deal). Apparently they need to pull in one or two other teams to make the cap numbers work and that's proving difficult at this late juncture. Sources tell the reporter it has a better than 50/50 chance of happening.

So, I generally try to stay out of rampant rumor speculation, but who would they be trying to acquire? I'm guessing it would have to be Carter or Jermaine O'Neal.

EDIT: David Aldridge says its Shawn Marion.

I'm normally not really interested in Basketball, but hearing a lot of familiar names being moved around has resparked my interest. This is easily one of the most exciting trade seasons in any sport that I can remember.

Marion already being traded? What the heck? No matter how you slice it, that gotta bruise his ego, being traded twice in the same season (if its indeed him being talked about).

Marion's dream of being the star on a crappy team could be disappearing. Oh well, he still has the offseason to try and rectify the situation.

Chad Ford: (1:24 PM ET ) Maybe ... call was about Ben Wallace in a possible deal with the Cavs. I've got to stress that it was from what I'd call a third party source ... not someone directly involved in the negotiations. So ... take it with a grain of salt ... but interesting ...

Chad Ford: (1:25 PM ET ) The deal as I heard it ... by the way ... had Drew Gooden, Ira Newble, Shannon Brown and Cederic Simmons coming back to Chicago.

Does anyone think that there might be pressure put on the league in coming years to relax their salary cap or make amendments to rules regarding trading after the ridiculous farces that were the Gasol and Kidd trades? It seems like no one cares for these rules, from the fans to the players to management. Whey keep this charade in tact any longer?

The Wallace deal would also have Chris Duhon and Joe Smith going to Cleveland, and Donyell Marshall and Devin Brown going to the Bulls.

Clark (Durham, NC): Why would the Cavs trade for Ben Wallace?

Chad Ford: (1:47 PM ET ) To make that work financially the deal would have to look like this:

Ben Wallace, Chris Duhon and Joe Smith to Cleveland for Drew Gooden, Donyell Marshall, Ira Newble, Shannon Brown, Devin Brown and Cederic Simmons ... unless Ilgauskas is in this deal.

EDIT: alfdogg got it first. That's not a great move for the Cavs, but I think it makes them a tiny bit better. Smith and Duhon would be good complementary parts for Lebron, but I don't know what Wallace does for them. They are good defensively already. They need to add scorers/shooters.

Ric Bucher with a couple new ones being discussed

Ben Wallace and Chris Duhon to Cleveland for Larry Hughes

Wally Szczerbiak to Cleveland for Donyell Marshall and Ira Newble

Bill Simmons proposed a deal of Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley to the Knicks for Stephon Marbury, Malik Rose and David Lee. And honestly...if this didn't require Marbury actually playing for us, that deal isn't half bad. It's just too bad that his deal doesn't expire this season instead of next, we could make a push for Elton Brand and not even miss Jermaine that much.

Bill Simmons proposed a deal of Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley to the Knicks for Stephon Marbury, Malik Rose and David Lee. And honestly...if this didn't require Marbury actually playing for us, that deal isn't half bad. It's just too bad that his deal doesn't expire this season instead of next, we could make a push for Elton Brand and not even miss Jermaine that much.

The sad thing was that almost all of Simmons' proposed deals made sense for both involved parties. Why can't real GMs swing deals like the ones he proposed? None of them have the balls to actually shake things up.

The Cavs need the Bulls to take back Larry Hughes in a deal so that they can use their exirings to acquire Wally Z. I don't see the Bulls doing that, so instead of Lebron getting 3 new starters to play with the team will probably end up doing nothing.

The Cavs traded for Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Wally Szczerbiak, and Delonte West. I think they gave the Bulls Hughes and Gooden. It's a good trade. I didn't list what the Sonics got, because David Aldridge differs with what's being reported. And I trust him a whole lot. That said, I still don't think the Cavs are good enough to make it to the Finals. They need offensive contribution, and I don't know if Wally is going to be consistent enough. I said it's a good trade because the Cavs gave up junk for better junk, but this deal is a whole bunch of junk changing addresses.

I have no problems with the trade. At this point if the Bulls were going to have to overpay between either Wallace or Hughes, might as well see what Hughes can bring because the team is just miserable right now with Wallace. Drew Gooden also is solid and should work out well for the Bulls.

Cleveland getting two serviceable point guards in Duhon and West should be a step up. Wallace in an environment where he doesen't need to be any sort of vocal leader like in Chicago could be helpful for him. And Joe Smith is a great veteran backup to have, he's having a solid year. Throw in a good shooter with Wally and the trade is a plus in my eyes.

And Seattle....well um.. they got some expiring contracts. And Donyell Marshall. Good times.

See, there's a deal that works for everybody. Chicago gets some offense in the post with Gooden and get rid of Wallace in the process. Larry Hughes is overpaid, but he might be a better fit than in Cleveland. Couldn't make them any worse than they are now.

Cleveland took a shitty situation and made it a little better. They don't need a big playmaker, they need role players around Lebron and this gives them a few. May not be enough to get them over the hump, but I will never doubt what James can do.

Seattle just keeps moving in the right direction by shedding salary and hoarding picks. Eventually they'll make some noise. It's clear that their GM has some sense.

I haven't had a chance to independently verify the numbers, but I read on another board that the Cavs would have about $34 million in expiring deals next year. So not only are they potentially much better now, they have pieces in place to swing something huge next year if need be.