TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

SABR Minor League Encyclopedia

This just came to my attention. The Society of American Baseball Research has created an online encyclopedia of minor league statistics. It's absolutely incredible. Have a great-uncle who claims of his days playing AA ball in the '50s? Check out his story.

http://minors.sabrwebs.com/cgi-bin/milb.php

Here's a treat. Randy "Macho Man" Savage:

http://minors.sabrwebs.com/cgi-bin/player....ID=poffo-001ran

Obviously statistics are not entirely complete, but this is an absolutely incredible resource.

I'm truly loving the growing dearth of minor league statistics appearing on the internet.

Between this site, Baseball-Reference going back to 1992, and The Baseball Cube going back even further, it's just awesome seeing how a Mark McGwire did at AAA in comparison to a Jason Giambi, Frank Thomas, or David Ortiz.

I'm truly loving the growing dearth of minor league statistics appearing on the internet.

Between this site, Baseball-Reference going back to 1992, and The Baseball Cube going back even further, it's just awesome seeing how a Mark McGwire did at AAA in comparison to a Jason Giambi, Frank Thomas, or David Ortiz.

I feel bad for the Baseball Cube. Isn't that site comprised of just one dude who sits there and manually inputs old minor league statistics?

I feel bad for the Baseball Cube. Isn't that site comprised of just one dude who sits there and manually inputs old minor league statistics?

Yeah. He also has college statistics for players going back to the 2002 draft (and some players in the 2001 draft). While the site is devoted to the minor leagues, he also has a great draft section where you can click a player name and see the player page. Neat comparing the college stats of multiple players in the 2005 draft or seeing for yourself why Billy Beane leaned towards taking some of the players he did (i.e. Nick Swisher hit 30 doubles and 25 HR in 358 AB his last 2 years in college and walked 103 times).

The shame is that the Baseball Cube is far behind (still no independent league stats for 2007) and quite buggy at times. It is honestly too ambitious a site given its resources.

One really great thing about this site is getting information about defunct minor league franchises in Allentown, Scranton, etc. Heck, Stroudsburg PA is represented!

Overlooking the site some (and glancing at the Bill James New Historical Baseball Abstract) it really is neat seeing some of these stats.

An example...

International League: 1919 Baltimore Orioles. They had 5 players hit .320+ and all had a .440+ SLG.

Jack Bentley hit .324 with a .528 SLG in 377 AB. He had 24 doubles, 10 triples, and 11 HR.

As a pitcher, Bentley went 41-6 from 1920 - 1922 (25-27 years old) for Baltimore. He also hit .378 with a SLG of .591 over those 3 seasons too (including a .412 BA and .665 SLG in 1921 with 24 HR).

Oooh...

In 1938 Ted Williams hit .366 with 30 doubles and 43 HR in 528 AB for the Minneapolis Millers of the American Association.

In 1935 Joe DiMaggio hit .398 with 48 doubles, 18 triples, and 34 HR in 679 AB (172 games) for the San Francisco Seals of the PCL.

In 3 years (excluding 9 AB in 1932), Joe had 74 HR and 657 hits in 1816 AB in the PCL.