TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Warriorfan

Austin Idol: The Universal Hearthrob

Guest Warriorfan

I have been watching some Youtube clips of Georgia Championship wrestling and Austin Idol is shining through in each one. He seemed to be the earliest SBG disciple that had the total package of looks, charisma and being great on the mic. Given his ability; it made me wonder why Idol never made a bigger mark on the sport by going to the WWF or becoming a staple in Mid-Atlantic or the NWA?

Does anyone know the reason why the Universal Hearthrob didn't become a Universal star?

I have been watching some Youtube clips of Georgia Championship wrestling and Austin Idol is shining through in each one. He seemed to be the earliest SBG disciple that had the total package of looks, charisma and being great on the mic. Given his ability; it made me wonder why Idol never made a bigger mark on the sport by going to the WWF or becoming a staple in Mid-Atlantic or the NWA?

Does anyone know the reason why the Universal Hearthrob didn't become a Universal star?

From what I gathered courtesy of certain shoot interviews, Austin Idol was never too fond of traveling so that's why he pretty much stayed in Memphis. I think Jim Cornette mentioned in his interview that Idol would have preferred to do just promos as opposed to actually getting in the ring.

But you are right... pretty much anyone that was a fan of wrestling at the time will say Idol had tremendous ability to draw people into the building.

He supposedly had some attitude problems, even by wrestling's standards. And Cornette did mention that he was kinda lazy, hated getting hit hard in matches, and often just didn't feel like leaving the house.

I remember seeing the angle with Kevin Sullivan from Georgia, which was so good, Johnny B Badd and DDP basically ripped it off years later (the one where the tires got slashed).

Guest Hasbeen2

Injuries might have been part of him not wanting to travel so much.

Look for the Lawler-Idol cage match on youtube. I won't spoil it if you've never seen it.

I remember seeing the angle with Kevin Sullivan from Georgia, which was so good, Johnny B Badd and DDP basically ripped it off years later (the one where the tires got slashed).

Badd - FOUR FLAT TIRES?!? I SAID A FLAT TIRE!!!

Guest chrislatimer2008

In england we have twc which showed a lot of classic memphis.

austin idol was great but as said here he didnt like travelling and really didnt have the heart for the buisness. he could of been as big as hogan if he would of went to new york.

he could of been as big as hogan if he would of went to new york.

No.

Hogan is in many respects the most successful professional wrestler of all time. It's ridiculous to think that anyone could have matched his success, especially a guy like Idol.

Guest Warriorfan

I don't think Austin would've been as big as Hogan but I do think he would've had a tremendous run in the WWF against Hogan had he entered the federation. I think he would've mirrored to a large extent Savage's success in the WWF after his Memphis run.

If Idol never went to the WWF he still would've been a mainstay in the Crockett promotions and I see him supplanting the role that Magnum T.A. had with JCP.