TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Twisted Intestine

OAO JR's blogs

What would WWE have to gain from Shamrock? He's been openly exposed in the past few years in MMA and he wasn't that special in the ring to begin with. There's a good deal of people from that period that would have more to offer in the WWE beyond a brief wave of nostalgia.

I think the number of wrestling fans who also watch MMA is often overestimated. I don't know I always just thought Shamrock had that intangible "It" factor.

This is verring off topic a bit but speaking of late 90s guys, whatever happened to the rumors swirling around about D Lo Brown returning to The 'E? I'd enjoy seeing him make a comeback even if he was cannon fodder like Val. For some reason, I think he'd make a great addition to the ECW/Smackdown roster

Even more off-topic, but does anybody remember why Shamrock left WWF in late 99? It happened rather abruptly at a time that I wasn't following wrestling as closely as I usually do, so I have always wondered.

Even more off-topic, but does anybody remember why Shamrock left WWF in late 99? It happened rather abruptly at a time that I wasn't following wrestling as closely as I usually do, so I have always wondered.

Shamrock was involved in a feud with Chris Jericho in September 1999 and they were scheduled to have a match at the Unforgiven 1999 PPV. On the Smackdown before the PPV, they had a First Blood match for some reason. In the match, Mr. Hughes (Jericho's bodyguard at the time) hit Shamrock with a hockey stick, legitimately injuring his neck. Shamrock had to sit out the PPV and during his recovery, he decided he wanted to go back into MMA before he got too old. He's stated before that once he's done with MMA, he'll probably go back to wrestling full-time if someone wants him.

Shamrock was also TNA's first champion, winning thier first title tournament. He ahs wrestled since he left the WWE.

From the way J.R. phrased everything, I'd expect Shamrock to do some cross promotion with WWE for his scripted reality show where he changes his gimmick or whatever he's doing there.

And I'm all for a D'lo comeback. He'd be a good dude for MVP to fued with for a while.

D'Lo is working backstage with TNA. It's been mentioned a few times before. He is an agent.

April 10, 2008:

Greetings from Oklahoma and from under the black hat while preparing to fly across the Atlantic to London this weekend for Monday Night Raw. I wonder if barbecue will be served on the flight … most likely not.

Monday Night Raw had a hard act to follow from the memorable and emotional Raw from Orlando, Fla., where the greatest wrestler who ever lived, Ric Flair, gave his farewell address. Nonetheless, the Backlash pay-per-view card began to take shape. The Raw main event for the WWE Title will be a chaotic Fatal Four Way, which really puts the WWE Championship in jeopardy, and has made titleholder Randy Orton about as happy as Hillary Clinton after it was suggested that she might make a nice “vice presidential” candidate.

After 92 percent of those voting on the AT&T Mobile text poll voted that Orton would not retain his title at WrestleMania XXIV, the odds one could assume for the second generation Superstar to retain his title against not two but three Superstars at Backlash will be even greater. One could surmise that by winning the Fatal Four Way at the pay-per-view later this month from Baltimore, the main event match could be the defining moment of the young Orton’s career. For Orton to leave Baltimore with the WWE Title and leave Triple H, John Cena and JBL all empty-handed would be damn near miraculous.

General Manager William Regal’s challenge of the Legend Killer this Monday night from Regal’s homeland could prove to be most interesting, because Regal still considers himself a wrestler first and an administrator second. A Regal victory over Orton would certainly change the landscape of Raw.

On with the proceedings … this week’s Raw Superstars of the Week are the team of Brian Kendrick and Paul London, who have put together two impressive outings in a row on WWE’s flagship broadcast. The supremely quick duo seems to have developed a little “attitude” as of late which seems to be serving them well. If Kendrick & London, who have also apparently smoothed over any internal strife they had a few weeks ago, can channel teams like The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express or The Midnight Rockers, this team can be wearing tag team gold again just as they once did on SmackDown. It would be nice to hear from Kendrick & London in the future about how they feel about their chances of becoming the World Tag Team Champions.

Umaga looks like the prototypical NFL nose tackle, and with his Samoan heritage, which has blessed the 350-pounder with uncanny quickness for a super-heavyweight, the Samoan Bulldozer seems to be getting back to his dominating ways.

If you like Diva action in WWE, then your cup runneth over Monday night as two matches on Raw featured the lovely ladies. Beth “The Glamazon” Phoenix is the most dominant female in WWE, especially when she utilizes her “Fisherwoman’s Suplex” which, as I have been reminded, is the politically correct way of describing her finishing maneuver that is devastating. Mickie James and Melina also have great competitive chemistry, and one has to admire Maria’s desire to compete. Jillian may be the most underrated and entertaining Divas on Raw … as long as she isn’t singing.

It seems like there might be a little trouble in the trailer park brewing between Lance Cade, who HBK originally trained, and his tag team partner, Trevor Murdoch, who was trained by WWE Hall of Famer, the government-mule tough Harley Race. Perhaps Cade & Murdoch should watch Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby together a few more times, as it always seems to cheer me up. I hope this potential conflict doesn’t result in WWE having to call in Larry the Cable Guy for an intervention.

Being in the right place at the right time and mentally staying one step ahead of the opposition usually produces positive results, and that was the case Monday night when Triple H qualified for the main event at Backlash by beating the WWE Champion and the No. 1 contender for the championship. This specific misstep may come back and bite both Orton and “Mr. Mamajuana” JBL in the backside before all of this title business is said and done.

Carlito and Santino used to have one thing in common … they both had apparent lust in their hearts for Playboy cover girl Maria, not that there is anything wrong with that. Now they have two other things in common: Each of their names ends in a vowel, and they have their sights set on becoming the tag team champions. At times, Santino reminds me of a young Bobby Heenan, the best manager ever, with his wit and verbal delivery — which is high praise. No, I am not having a “senior moment” and I understand that Santino isn’t a manager but his tart tongue is still Heenan-esque.

Did Triple H have the line of the night when he said what many people likely think and that is that JBL is an “arse”? There’s a colonoscopy joke there somewhere, but these days that hits a little too close to home for yours truly. Ouch ... there goes my equestrian career.

Nice coup by Chris Jericho in securing both Shawn Michaels and Batista for his Highlight Reel on Monday night. It was more compelling than any Rome is Burning clones – please stop the pain, hair gel boy – and ranks up there with the Rosie O’Donnell meltdown days on The View. Listen, folks: I miss the hell out of Ric Flair even though we did speak three times last week on the phone, but I am not angry at HBK for doing what Shawn does best and is paid to do by bringing his “A” game to WM XXIV just as Shawn’s boyhood idol Flair demanded.

Bottom line, the benefit for us fans out of this verbal confrontation – no matter if we think Batista or HBK is in the right – is that we will get to see HBK vs. The Animal at Backlash, which should be a most interesting contest. I wonder where Triple H weighs in on this Flair matter being best friends with HBK and also being close with former Evolution member Batista.

Just curious, but does any one know when Chris Jericho is next scheduled to defend the Intercontinental Title?

John Cena rose to the occasion at the right time Monday night to make the four-way dance at Backlash even more of an unpredictable train wreck by defeating Triple H and JBL (bad night for initials) thanks to an assist – or so it seemed – from The Game. One has to assume that Triple H had a reason for his actions Monday night as the Cerebral Assassin is damn sure a thinking man’s wrestler. Perhaps we will find out more of each of the combatants’ motives and mindsets this Monday from London.

For the record, I am still trying to ascertain what in the heck Cena was saying when he mentioned my name in conjunction with Randy Orton’s on Monday night while holding court in the ring. Perhaps I will seek counsel from my broadcast partner, “Jerry Bobby,” for the interpretation of Cena’s remarks. Or perhaps it doesn’t MATTER WHAT I THINK! Oops … I think I just channeled The Rock as I just previewed his upcoming DVD. Sorry for the emotional outburst, but I have not had my J.R.’S BBQ Sauce fix today.

Finally, it was nice seeing “The World’s Most Dangerous Man” Ken Shamrock backstage at Monday Night Raw in Albany, N.Y. Ken was in the area on business and dropped by to see friends. We have a story about seeing Ken at our Web site

This one doesn't really say much. I like how he hints about the WWE not taking the IC title seriously though with the Jericho remark, and the remark from the last blog. For some reason I think JR might make a good booker... has he ever done anything like that?

April 10, 2008:

Greetings from Oklahoma and from under the black hat while preparing to fly across the Atlantic to London this weekend for Monday Night Raw. I wonder if barbecue will be served on the flight … most likely not.

Monday Night Raw had a hard act to follow from the memorable and emotional Raw from Orlando, Fla., where the greatest wrestler who ever lived, Ric Flair, gave his farewell address. Nonetheless, the Backlash pay-per-view card began to take shape. The Raw main event for the WWE Title will be a chaotic Fatal Four Way, which really puts the WWE Championship in jeopardy, and has made titleholder Randy Orton about as happy as Hillary Clinton after it was suggested that she might make a nice “vice presidential” candidate.

After 92 percent of those voting on the AT&T Mobile text poll voted that Orton would not retain his title at WrestleMania XXIV, the odds one could assume for the second generation Superstar to retain his title against not two but three Superstars at Backlash will be even greater. One could surmise that by winning the Fatal Four Way at the pay-per-view later this month from Baltimore, the main event match could be the defining moment of the young Orton’s career. For Orton to leave Baltimore with the WWE Title and leave Triple H, John Cena and JBL all empty-handed would be damn near miraculous.

General Manager William Regal’s challenge of the Legend Killer this Monday night from Regal’s homeland could prove to be most interesting, because Regal still considers himself a wrestler first and an administrator second. A Regal victory over Orton would certainly change the landscape of Raw.

On with the proceedings … this week’s Raw Superstars of the Week are the team of Brian Kendrick and Paul London, who have put together two impressive outings in a row on WWE’s flagship broadcast. The supremely quick duo seems to have developed a little “attitude” as of late which seems to be serving them well. If Kendrick & London, who have also apparently smoothed over any internal strife they had a few weeks ago, can channel teams like The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express or The Midnight Rockers, this team can be wearing tag team gold again just as they once did on SmackDown. It would be nice to hear from Kendrick & London in the future about how they feel about their chances of becoming the World Tag Team Champions.

Umaga looks like the prototypical NFL nose tackle, and with his Samoan heritage, which has blessed the 350-pounder with uncanny quickness for a super-heavyweight, the Samoan Bulldozer seems to be getting back to his dominating ways.

If you like Diva action in WWE, then your cup runneth over Monday night as two matches on Raw featured the lovely ladies. Beth “The Glamazon” Phoenix is the most dominant female in WWE, especially when she utilizes her “Fisherwoman’s Suplex” which, as I have been reminded, is the politically correct way of describing her finishing maneuver that is devastating. Mickie James and Melina also have great competitive chemistry, and one has to admire Maria’s desire to compete. Jillian may be the most underrated and entertaining Divas on Raw … as long as she isn’t singing.

It seems like there might be a little trouble in the trailer park brewing between Lance Cade, who HBK originally trained, and his tag team partner, Trevor Murdoch, who was trained by WWE Hall of Famer, the government-mule tough Harley Race. Perhaps Cade & Murdoch should watch Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby together a few more times, as it always seems to cheer me up. I hope this potential conflict doesn’t result in WWE having to call in Larry the Cable Guy for an intervention.

Being in the right place at the right time and mentally staying one step ahead of the opposition usually produces positive results, and that was the case Monday night when Triple H qualified for the main event at Backlash by beating the WWE Champion and the No. 1 contender for the championship. This specific misstep may come back and bite both Orton and “Mr. Mamajuana” JBL in the backside before all of this title business is said and done.

Carlito and Santino used to have one thing in common … they both had apparent lust in their hearts for Playboy cover girl Maria, not that there is anything wrong with that. Now they have two other things in common: Each of their names ends in a vowel, and they have their sights set on becoming the tag team champions. At times, Santino reminds me of a young Bobby Heenan, the best manager ever, with his wit and verbal delivery — which is high praise. No, I am not having a “senior moment” and I understand that Santino isn’t a manager but his tart tongue is still Heenan-esque.

Did Triple H have the line of the night when he said what many people likely think and that is that JBL is an “arse”? There’s a colonoscopy joke there somewhere, but these days that hits a little too close to home for yours truly. Ouch ... there goes my equestrian career.

Nice coup by Chris Jericho in securing both Shawn Michaels and Batista for his Highlight Reel on Monday night. It was more compelling than any Rome is Burning clones – please stop the pain, hair gel boy – and ranks up there with the Rosie O’Donnell meltdown days on The View. Listen, folks: I miss the hell out of Ric Flair even though we did speak three times last week on the phone, but I am not angry at HBK for doing what Shawn does best and is paid to do by bringing his “A” game to WM XXIV just as Shawn’s boyhood idol Flair demanded.

Bottom line, the benefit for us fans out of this verbal confrontation – no matter if we think Batista or HBK is in the right – is that we will get to see HBK vs. The Animal at Backlash, which should be a most interesting contest. I wonder where Triple H weighs in on this Flair matter being best friends with HBK and also being close with former Evolution member Batista.

Just curious, but does any one know when Chris Jericho is next scheduled to defend the Intercontinental Title?

John Cena rose to the occasion at the right time Monday night to make the four-way dance at Backlash even more of an unpredictable train wreck by defeating Triple H and JBL (bad night for initials) thanks to an assist – or so it seemed – from The Game. One has to assume that Triple H had a reason for his actions Monday night as the Cerebral Assassin is damn sure a thinking man’s wrestler. Perhaps we will find out more of each of the combatants’ motives and mindsets this Monday from London.

For the record, I am still trying to ascertain what in the heck Cena was saying when he mentioned my name in conjunction with Randy Orton’s on Monday night while holding court in the ring. Perhaps I will seek counsel from my broadcast partner, “Jerry Bobby,” for the interpretation of Cena’s remarks. Or perhaps it doesn’t MATTER WHAT I THINK! Oops … I think I just channeled The Rock as I just previewed his upcoming DVD. Sorry for the emotional outburst, but I have not had my J.R.’S BBQ Sauce fix today.

Finally, it was nice seeing “The World’s Most Dangerous Man” Ken Shamrock backstage at Monday Night Raw in Albany, N.Y. Ken was in the area on business and dropped by to see friends. We have a story about seeing Ken at our Web site

This one doesn't really say much. I like how he hints about the WWE not taking the IC title seriously though with the Jericho remark, and the remark from the last blog. For some reason I think JR might make a good booker... has he ever done anything like that?

If I remember correctly, Ross was on the booking committee when Flair was running things back in 1989. He probably had some role in Mid-South, but nothing directly in charge. The only other management experience I know he has is when he managed the talent roster, and he's repeatedly said that was pure hell.

Still, his booking sense would be so old school compared to the mentality of the WWE. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it wouldn't mesh at all. J.R. does like to apply logic to things.

Nice coup by Chris Jericho in securing both Shawn Michaels and Batista for his Highlight Reel on Monday night. It was more compelling than any Rome is Burning clones – please stop the pain, hair gel boy – and ranks up there with the Rosie O’Donnell meltdown days on The View.

Say what now?

Nice coup by Chris Jericho in securing both Shawn Michaels and Batista for his Highlight Reel on Monday night. It was more compelling than any Rome is Burning clones – please stop the pain, hair gel boy – and ranks up there with the Rosie O’Donnell meltdown days on The View.

Say what now?

Yeah. What's "Rome is Burning?"

April 12, 2008:

Just a few random thoughts before I leave to catch my American Airlines flight to London via DFW. I am keeping my fingers crossed that AA doesn’t cancel my OKC-DFW flight and I end up driving to Dallas and then flying to London. Nonetheless, Raw should have a great atmosphere at the O2 Arena Monday night.

I got to thinking a few days ago about the 2009 WWE Hall of Fame class that will be inducted in Houston in early April 2009. By the way, I am hoping the induction ceremony is held on Friday night and not Saturday of WM25 week, but that’s just me. Just glancing at the list of many, many viable and worthwhile candidates one preliminary list might include, in no particular order, Steve Austin, The FabulousFreebirds, The Von Erich Family, The Funks, the late, Houston Promoter Paul Boesch, The Million Dollar Man and Ricky Steamboat. How’s that for starters? Personally, I would add Danny Hodge, Scandar Akbar, and Bill Watts but I am not overly objective when it comes to those that I have admired since I was a kid or those that have helped me throughout my career.

Concussions. Serious business on any field of endeavor and with medical advances as they are today, so much info can be determined by properly checking for concussions and the residual damage that they have done to athletes and, for the record MSNBC and Fox News, wrestlers are athletes. I have not officially heard if the WWE is making these examinations a part of the wrestler’s annual physicals, but it would not surprise me in the least. The safety and well fare of the athletes cannot be stressed enough whether it is the WWE, the NFL,MLB , etc. My wife, an ex-flight attendant, had multiple concussions while working in the airline industry and with my background in the wrestling biz this one hits especially close to home. This one goes right along with aggressive drug testing and tightening any loopholes that a performer or a physician can create. Performers who try to cheat the system need to be allowed to earn a living elsewhere. Immediately. Simple deal. End of story.

Fox News morning show had some fun with the promotion of the proposed "Hillary vs. Barack settle-your-issues-business" slated for next week’s Raw. That was the general idea, I would assume by the WWE, to create a publicity stunt that creates….gasp…publicity. That’s what promoters do, they create topics that get folks talking. It’s marketing 101. Of course, Fox News had to make sure that their audience knew that none of them were wrestling fans because as we all know we wrestling fans need to be avoided like the plague and that being a fan of wrestling to any degree indicates that we are obviously impaired and in need of serious help. Ironically, Fox News coverage on their morning show covered such newsworthy items of the day including Britney not wearing under garments, Paris Hilton goes to jail, etc will no doubt continue, but for goodness sakes Fox must make sure we distance ourselves from those crazy, wrestling people. The bottom line is that Fox Morning News is trying to be an infotainment show and their making fun of wrestling fans and the wrestling business in general feels predictably arrogant. Perhaps they should studyRaw’s TV ratings over the past 15 years or so on cable, but that most likely wouldn’t change their attitude that has existed in the media since before you and I were ever an after thought in our folk’s minds. And it is not likely to ever change. At least Keith Olbermann and his writers got their wrestling info right when they were addressing the Clinton/Obama publicity stunt. Olbermann strikes me as the kind of guy who has had a beer and watched ‘rasslin in his lifetime at some point, which I applaud.

There have been some mild rumblings lately that that WWE is thinking about doing away with their brand separation. I have it on good authority that is not going to happen.

I have been enjoying WWE 24/7, especially this week as I watched the WCW WrestleWar pay per view from 1990, that I broadcast with Terry Funk. Terry did a super job and I honestly had forgotten how good a color commentator that he was. It was great seeing Cactus Jack "Manson" at a svelte 270 on the show plus a classic, tag team bout featuring the Rock ‘n Roll Express vs. The Midnight Express, which was a video text book on tag team wrestling. Plus, there was a great sequence between manager JimCornette and referee Nick Patrick during the tag bout that was priceless. Oh yeah, this guy named Flair closed the show.

Speaking of "Naitch", he is enjoying his new, non wrestling life and has plenty of appearances on tap for the WWE in a variety of corporate and media functions. Ric will keep plenty busy, but not so busy that he can’t enjoy his family and friends and his own personal, business interests.

Hooray for HBO who are now re-airing "Deadwood" episodes. Al Swearingen was the Mr. McMahon of his era.

The WWE is doing huge business, as we wrote about here the last time, as Liverpool sold out at over $750,000 in tickets sold, whileTorrevieja , Spain sold out and grossed over $500,000 in tickets sold. One can only imagine how well the merchandise is selling at the venues. Of all the changes in the business that I have witnessed since I started earning a living in wrestling in 1974, the international growth of the product including merchandising, licensing, and global television exposure, perhaps, is the most amazing.

Thanks for stopping by and be patient with our site upgrades. They will be finished soon I assure you. In the meantime, you could always check out our store for some great deals. Be well.

Boomer Sooner!

J.R.

"There have been some mild rumblings lately that that WWE is thinking about doing away with their brand separation. I have it on good authority that is not going to happen."

He must be talking about the TSM Town Hall.

He made mention of the Rome clones, which would suggest Colin Cowherd, whom is even more vocal about his hatred for pro wrestling, most notably his comments about Eddie Guerrero the day after his death.

April 19, 2008:

As I write this, I have no idea who will be in the King of the Ring Tournament this Monday night on the 3 hour Monday Night Raw TV Special presented by the USA Network. I bring this up for a couple of reasons. One, I wanted to make some predictions, if I could actually lay eyes on a tournament bracket, just as many of us did during March Madness. Plus, I wanted to do a little extra preparation for Monday night and I guess I will have to do it by reviewing the past 17 King of the Ring Winners with the first being Don Muraco, a WWE Hall of Famer. All I know is that all three WWE brands are going to be represented in the perceived 8 man, single elimination tournament that normally would create 7 bouts including the finale.

Does comedy in wrestling sell tickets or pay per views or is comedy in wrestling simply a "let me up" on the drama or serious presentations of wrestling? There probably isn’t a right or wrong answer to this question, but I will gladly provide my personal opinion because, as has been pointed out elsewhere. "J.R. is a master bulls******" (my thanks to whoever proclaimed that one). Comedy in wrestling is best served when it occurs naturally and if it is not a natural act, interesting choice of words, then it must be delivered by someone who has natural comedic timing. Simply writing something that is perceived to be humorous, no matter who says it, is no guarantee that the line will score. I am a fan of comedies in general and many of my favorite movies are comedies….check out the classic "Hollywood Nights" when you run out of something viable to do, as it is an off the radar comedy classic…but it seems that quite often, comedy in wrestling doesn’t work as intended. Does comedy sell tickets or pay per views? No. When organically executed does comedy have a place in wrestling? Hell, yeah.

It is hard to read about all the ailing wrestling greats this week including two WWE Hall of Famers, Killer Kowalski and Verne Gagne, along with lady wrestler Susan Green. Verne was LeRoy McGuirk’s successor as the NWA Junior Heavyweight Champion after McGuirk was blinded in a car accident in 1950. My first job in the wrestling biz was earning $125 per week, with no benefits, and served as McGuirk’s driver, and provider of his cigars and whiskey. More importantly, I got to take many a long car trip with LeRoy and I learned about the heritage of the pro wrestling business from a proud man who was also a NCAA National Wrestling Champion. Verne has to be considered one of the top ten all time pure athletes ever in the pro wrestling business, especially when one considers Gagne’s amateur success on the wrestling mat and on the gridiron.

Killer Kowalski, affectionately known as "Walter" to many of us, fell recently and is recovering. Walter is a vegan and has been for decades, but at one time the 6′6"-275 pound freak of nature certainly looked like an avid carnivore. I have seen many old tapes of Kawasaki wrestling from the 50s and 60s and he was the real deal inside the ring who old timers tell me had one of the great "motors" ever in the business.

Susan Green was extremely athletic when I refereed some of her bouts back in the 70s. I think Susan was a Texas native and she sported cowboy attire, including a hat and cowboy styled wrestling boots most likely made by Austin Hall Boot Makers. Susan was 6′1" and was a solid in ring performer who had a long career. If my memory serves me correctly "Captain Redneck" himself, Dick Murdoch, had an "eye" for the tall Texas gal, but to the best of my knowledge the two never "rode the range together" so to speak.

My most sincere, heartfelt wishes to all these ailing stars and wishing them all a speedy recovery.

Mike Adamle replacing Joey Styles as the play by play voice of ECW has created a plethora of talk this week regarding wrestling announcing. A couple of things on this matter, some people have a natural gift for wrestling broadcasting such as Gordon Solie did, but to others the art of wrestling announcing is "an acquired taste" (sort of like a guy once told me about Scotch Whiskey, but I have never been able to "acquire the taste" for Scotch). I know that after being a life long fan of wrestling and getting the opportunity to work in a viable wrestling territory for a great mentor (Bill Watts) that I had a better chance than most in making it as a wrestling broadcaster for so many years. Being involved with the WWE’s flagship cable broadcast is a huge honor and responsibility of which I take seriously. Perhaps too seriously at times in my life, especially when I was replaced on Raw, which resulted in yours truly not being a prize to be around until the sting went away. After my cancer scare of 2005, I look at my career a little differently now and take every day one day at a time and know that my next broadcast could be my last for any number of reasons. Bottom line is I count my blessings and I am proud of much of the work of which I have been associated and honestly feel I can contribute for many more years in my current role on Monday Night Raw. I know the King feels the same way. However, when the day comes to say adios on Monday night there will be no Tony Soprano "Poor me" stuff going on. But for those keeping score at home, in my mind I am far from ready to tap out and call it a career. Was Mike Adamle brought in to replace yours truly at some point? Beats me. And I don’t care. I do know that my best days are yet to come behind the mic, or at least that is how I choose to approach my work. As it relates to wrestling announcing, interesting days lie ahead.

Read a really nice article this week on Trish Stratus’s Yoga business that will open soon near Toronto. I enjoyed her definition that Yoga is a "power nap for the mind". Trish will do well as she is a true people person, highly intelligent and a self starter. I recall vividly our first meeting in my office in Stamford where I interviewed her for a job in the WWE that she took and ran with to great success. I always considered Trish one of my most significant hires while I was in the Talent Relations role in the WWE. She was never high maintenance and worked tirelessly to become a better wrestler. I joke about Diva’s learning to actually wrestle or to at least become accomplished cat fighters, but all Divas who get into wrestling should be athletic and have the desire to be the best female wrestler ever. Sometimes there is too much emphasis in this area of the business on silicone and not enough on side head locks, not that I am so old that I don’t appreciate the efforts of a talented plastic surgeon.

The WWE Kids Magazine being promoted on TV is a really good idea and one that we are going to provide our young guests when they come into J.R.’s Family Bar-B-Q Restaurant in the near future. I became a fan of wrestling as a youngster and have remained such for the many years since which is the essential concept of appealing more to kids one would assume.

Interesting stories on ESPN this week about the trade rumors of the NY Giants outstanding tight end Jeremy Shockey. If you remember we talked about this matter several weeks ago after I had an opportunity to attend a backyard cookout with the Oklahoma native here in Norman. Jeremy told me and others that night that he fully expected to be traded to New Orleans and was looking forward to a fresh start for Saints’ head coach Sean Payton who was Shockey’s former coach at New York. Our news was discredited by some because of my background in wrestling, plus this is a Bar-B-Q site and not a pro football site. Time will tell because the NFL Draft, one of my favorite days of TV, is next weekend. I’m taking the over on a Shockey trade.

Oklahoma ran the no huddle offense this spring and this offense will add even more explosion to the Sooners’ offense this fall. OU is preseason ranked #2 behind Georgia, but as we all know, the preseason rankings mean next to nothing. It might help some schools recruit or sell tickets, but not a program on the national level as Oklahoma. Nonetheless, the 2008 college football season is greatly anticipated, as usual, here in Norman, Oklahoma. I just renewed our 6 season tickets of which there is a several year wait. As many of you know, I am a big time football fan, that’s American, tackle football, and we will occasionally write about the gridiron as the season approaches and into the fall. Hey, the site is free and you don’t have to read it if you only want wrestling "dirt" and opinion here.

We are in the process of getting tons of memorabilia framed for our second restaurant that is slated to open in June in Moore, Oklahoma along Interstate 35’s west side. We have game worn jerseys from every XFL team, some new John Wayne and Mickey Mantle items, Rey Mysterio’s silver mask he wore when he returned from injury at the 2007 Summer Slam event, Floyd Mayweather’s autographed boxing glove he wore at WM24, a ton of signed football jerseys from many NFL’ers, especially those that were former OU Sooners, a great selection of signed guitars from some of the biggest stars in the world including Eric Clapton and Santana among others, some vintage, mint condition wrestling posters, our recently signed #4 Bret Favre jersey, and literally dozens of unique items that will add to the uniqueness of J.R.’s #2.

There is a great article in this month’s "Oklahoma Monthly" magazine on our restaurant that I encourage those of you that can to check out.

The store is open…we sell things here…your business is sincerely appreciated…we ship any where. Thanks for stopping by and for enduring our site overhaul which will be completed soon. Be well.

Boomer Sooner!

J.R.

"I'm going to talk about Mike Adamle replacing Joey Styles" ... *Talks about myself for the bulk of the paragraph*

I'll definately go to Trish's yogs classes.

It’s hard to believe that Owen Hart would have been 43 years of age this week. Owen was one of the really good guys in the business. The youngest of Stu and Helen Hart’s children was funny, witty, an excellent wrestler, wasn’t a cry baby and never whined. Owen Hart was truly one of the really good guys I have ever met in any walk of life. Owen had character and integrity to go along with his outstanding wrestling talent. I never saw Owen drunk (I honestly can’t remember him even having a beer, although he well could have) and never, ever heard of him using drugs. Owen was also a man who honored his wedding vows. The practical jokes one hears Owen played on people were probably true and many of the much needed and funniest moments on long, gruelling tours usually came from Owen who would rather make people laugh than get drunk, get high or lay with a female that wasn’t his wife. Announcing to the world that Owen had died on a pay per view broadcast having about 30 seconds to collect my thoughts before going live to the world was one of the hardest things I have ever been instructed to do. Since then, when we have moments on Raw where the announcers have to lower our tone to embellish a particular moment and when fans or pundits refer to it as "the same tones the announcers used when Owen died" it pisses me off. No one in Internet land or sitting at home can ever put themselves in our shoes the night that tragedy occurred. My mindset and where my heart was on that night in Kansas City is far away from any place I have been since in the wrestling business. I saw a fellow the other day at an event that used to pick Owen up at the airport in a particular town, drive Owen around for free and allow the game’s greatest ribber to stay at the guy’s home just to be around Owen because Owen made every one he was around smile. Of course, Owen was saving money on rental cars and hotels so, as usual, Owen got the last laugh. :) Owen Hart deserves to go into the WWE Hall of Fame but unfortunately I feel that his widow Martha would never cooperate with such a thing which is unfortunate especially for Owen’s children who would see so many people demonstrate their love of their dad.

Happy Birthday Owen. I miss you.

The Mrs. and I received a fantastic, signed poster from Dwayne Johnson, the Rock, this week to frame and hang in J.R.’s Family Bar-B-Q #2 when it opens in June in Moore, Oklahoma. We will also have an outfit Dwayne wore in "The Rundown" on our walls. Since the WWE Hall of Fame it seems that many people have voiced a variety of opinions on the wrestler turned actor with some potshots not being so flattering. Jealousy is an ugly emotion and loyalty is a two way street, but I can attest that Dwayne Johnson was the most charismatic rookie wrestler that I ever signed and his signing was one of my greatest accomplishments when I served as the head of talent relations back in the day for the WWE. Dwayne Johnson is a wonderful human being and deserves all the success he is experiencing.

I will spend two long nights this week doing voice overs for the next THQ/WWE video game, which will be out this fall. Wrestlers who make the video game roster are provided an opportunity to earn significant dollars via royalties. Those that don’t make the video game roster have a problem. Everyone can’t be on every game, but that should be the goal of 100% of the roster.

The Legends Video game that will be out in 2009 is an idea I love (we all love our own ideas) and I can’t wait to see how that one materializes. I am anxious to see it come together and be able to match the greatest Intercontinental Champion of all time, the Honkytonk Man, versus his cousin, Jerry "the King" Lawler…..two of the best in ring performers of any era.

Oklahoma City will host Monday Night Raw on June 30 with tickets going on sale on May 17 and I am pleased to be back in my old school promoter’s shoes helping the WWE promote this long awaited event. The OKC media is embracing the return of the WWE and this Raw will be one of the best promoted events the WWE has had in any Raw market. I would give a case of J.R.’s Bar-B-Q Sauce to be left alone that night and to simply do my job, that is if Mike Adamle hasn’t replaced me by then, as OKC has been the site of some interesting evenings for yours truly over the years. Nonetheless, I am having a great deal of fun working with my friends in the media promoting this event which will be held at the Ford Center, the future home of the team formerly known as the Seattle Sonics.

I have no issues with Kobe Bryant being named MVP of the NBA, but who would get your vote for the MVP in the WWE thus far in 2008?

Larry Zbyszko has a book out that I hope to read. Larry was one of the most underrated TV color commentators around at one point in time. I tried to help Larry get work several years ago in the WWE, but I couldn’t close the deal. Larry even had the idea at one point to challenge Mr. McMahon to a wrestling match. I thought Larry would make a strong TV personality with his gift of gab and intellect. Hopefully, Larry’s book will be a success and will be as entertaining as some of the conversations I have had with Bruno Sammartino’s protege and the man who married Verne Gagne’s daughter.

Yours truly will be heading to Tampa next week after the Detroit Raw to visit the WWE Developmental Training Facility. I look forward to speaking with the students and watching their workouts. It will be interesting to see how my remarks to the group are regurgitated back to the Internet when I leave town on Wednesday. I can assure you that whatever I say it will be what I believe.

My hotel reservations for the Cauliflower Ally Club have been made and I will arrive in Vegas on Tuesday after the marathon night of 2 Monday Night Raws in Oakland on June 9. I will be looking for a poker game while in Vegas, as I have a feeling my pipes will be shot. Perhaps I will meet my poker hero, Doyle Brunson, while I’m in Vegas, but that’s not too likely. The CAC reunion is an event I have wanted to attend for many years and unless something unforeseen occurs I’m there.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your business in our store. Be well.

Boomer Sooner!

J.R.

A nice piece on Owen, but I can't help but notice he's taking a few suttle shots at Bret there.

I assume you're referring to the line "Owen who would rather make people laugh than get drunk, get high or lay with a female that wasn’t his wife". While that certainly applies to Bret since we've read his book, it also applies to about countless others in the business and life in general.

If anything, its the line "an excellent wrestler, wasn’t a cry baby and never whined. " Also, I remember in 1999 when Mideon, Viscera, and the Blue Meanie made the cut for the video games. I guess these days you just can't fit all these guys in a game...

If anything, its the line "an excellent wrestler, wasn’t a cry baby and never whined. " Also, I remember in 1999 when Mideon, Viscera, and the Blue Meanie made the cut for the video games. I guess these days you just can't fit all these guys in a game...

One word: Voiceovers.