TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

Let's Talk About...

04-2.jpg

So, the other day I was watching an old episode of RAW that was built around this underrated stable, and I got to thinking about how much I liked the concept. The Corporation was losing steam, and the Ministry was going nowhere fast, so the idea to combine them, effectively, prolonged their shelf life. I often wonder if this would have worked with any other two factions.

What do you think?

Originally, I didn't completely hate the concept. I actually liked Taker and HHH around this time, so I was thrilled to see them on the same team. However, the only other people in the stable that were worth anything were the Acolytes... and maybe Boss Man. I mean seriously: Viscera? Mideon? I thought it was plausible, I guess, that Shane's Corporation and the Ministry could've joined together.

Once Vince revealed himself as the Greater Power, though, the last few months immediately seemed like a complete waste, and even as a mark in 1999, I thought it was pretty absurd.

I never got why they joined forces after feuding with each other for the last month?

I liked them at the time. Was the beginning of Triple H being booked as a true main eventer. But the stable was pretty much filled with filler.

I probably should have specified that I liked it the most before Vince decided that he didn't want the top heel stable to stand on its own two feet, and revealed himself as the Higher Power.

In that picture, who is that standing behind UT, and beside Bossman?

Is that just a camera man? I think it is, but I'm not sure.

Looks like the camera man. He has a generic WWE t shit on by the looks of it

IIRC, those two never really merged, they formed an unsuccessful alliance to end Hulkamania and then feuded with each other after Hulk went on one of his six month vacations.

This thread has not only managed to bring up bad memories of '99 WWF but late '95/early '96 WCW, thanks assholes!

Eh, the Horsemen and DOD mostly teamed a bit to take out Hogan but I'd hardly call them close allies. Eventually the Horsemen beat the piss out of Sullivan and it kinda went nowhere after that since the NWO debuted.

There's quite a bit of fondness for the Corporate Ministry though. Perhaps it's because it was the last truly silly Russo type storyline before they started pushing HHH down everyone's throat.

Yeah, that theme song was one of the baddest of badass entrances ever. Just awesome.

This angle happened to coincide right when I started watching the show. In fact, the whole Ministry angle was one reason I started paying attention. Through video games and stuff in my childhood I vaguely knew who the Undertaker was, and associated him with the old gloves-n-hate "Rest In Piece" cartoony gimmick which I just thought was corny as hell. Then I catch this show, and Taker is in his full-blown satanic cult leader mode, and he's tying people to crosses and kidnapping chicks and feuding with this psychotic bald guy who cussed a lot. I thought, holy shit, this isn't anything like that stupid Hulk Hogan crap I watched a tiny bit of when I was a kid and then immediately rejected as being phony and dumb. Even though in hindsight it was all Russocity which made no sense, at the time it felt delightfully weird and groundbreaking, and started me down the obsessive path which I still walk today.

They really could've done a better job of relaying the longterm backstory of the feuds, though. I didn't know anything about the long Vince/Austin story, and it seemed like the announcers never explained it. So when Vince turned out to be the Higher Power, I was even more confused. It's something that bugs me to this day, when the announcers never talk about the background and continuity of the company and how it relates to the current angles.

It was fun while it lasted. Vince being the higher power despite the feud makes a bit of sense in a way. After mania, with Vince (through Rock) losing his title back to his hated enemy Austin, Vince is desperate, so he strikes a deal with Taker to screw Austin, and get Taker the world title.

The theme does kick ass though.

Wow, stables. I remember when mofuckers had stables in high school, and we wrestled in the gym. The nWo, The Horsemen, DOD, The Nation, The Corporation, Corporate Ministry, DOA, DX, Ahmed and the Road Warriors, everybody was clicked up in WCW and WWF at that time. The shit was cool for it's time, but I don't want to see a ton of stables again anytime soon.

Something every once in while, like Evolution, can come along and be great if it's done right, tho.

The name was tragically unimaginative. Should've saved it for the Right To Censor and made them a Focus On The Family style stable.