TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The 2008 NFL Draft Thread.

I love the way the weekend turned out.

Adding Lorenzo Booker and a 1st and a 5th next year, while still getting Jackson in round 2 was terrific.

Laws will be a solid 3rd DT behind Patterson and Bunkley

Demps gives them a solid S prospect

Ike has big time talent and can be stashed for the season

McGlynn provides some Oline depth being able to play anywhere

And then the standard Andy Reid, fill out the draft with random linemen

The only pick that was a real huh pick was the third rounder, an undersized DE from a small school.

All while not giving away Lito, so they still either have a bullet to still fire or they keep a terrific 2nd CB.

I'd still like to see them add one of Bowman, Marcus Monk, or even a Todd Blythe/Mario Urrutia level WR in the UFA process.

I liked seeing Washington snag Brennan. He'll be a good fit in a West Coast style offense as he's at his best throwing to certain areas and throwing 10-30 yard routes.

He could turn out to be a decent to solid backup to Campbell for future seasons and it only cost the Redskins a 6th round pick.

I like how this draft went much faster than last year and years prior to this.

To me, much more enjoyable to watch.

This draft finished over 3 and a half hours sooner than it did last year, from what I heard on NFL Network.

Cutting down the first round to 10 minutes was a nice touch.

Dama, McShay and Kiper were doing their little debate thing and the issue about the Jags having a chance to pick up Jason Taylor for a 2nd round pick instead of "reaching" for the two guys they picked.

Well, McShay out right asks Kiper where he heard that and Kiper stumbles at the question so McShay just smirks and says "Yeah, you're lying.. you made that up."

Kiper then just glared at the camera as if he was going to kill McShay

I'm glad the Eagles picked up Jackson, especially in the 2nd round.

Originally I wanted Kelly, but I don't know if he is able going to recover from injuries. Jackson is a fast weapon who will help us on special teams. He's going to be able to stretch the field.

At least with Brennan you could argue he was a product of Hawaii and their competition. Woodson put up monster numbers in "the greatest football conference in the universe".

I found it pretty funny that Flacco was praised by Mortensen and Kiper because he had an "accurate arm that could throw 15-20 yards on a rope" , and "still shined as a quarterback with a weak season schedule and strong receivers". What? That was the same things people knocked him [brennan] for! Colt has tested better at accuracy than Flacco at every measure, and Flacco's arm is weak at the deep ball. What makes these guys different at all?

I love the way the weekend turned out.

Adding Lorenzo Booker and a 1st and a 5th next year, while still getting Jackson in round 2 was terrific.

Laws will be a solid 3rd DT behind Patterson and Bunkley

Demps gives them a solid S prospect

Ike has big time talent and can be stashed for the season

McGlynn provides some Oline depth being able to play anywhere

And then the standard Andy Reid, fill out the draft with random linemen

The only pick that was a real huh pick was the third rounder, an undersized DE from a small school.

All while not giving away Lito, so they still either have a bullet to still fire or they keep a terrific 2nd CB.

I'd still like to see them add one of Bowman, Marcus Monk, or even a Todd Blythe/Mario Urrutia level WR in the UFA process.

Agreed.

I still see the Eagles trading Lito at some point this summer. Perhaps they'll add a WR like they did a few years ago with Stallworth and T.O.

At least with Brennan you could argue he was a product of Hawaii and their competition. Woodson put up monster numbers in "the greatest football conference in the universe".

I found it pretty funny that Flacco was praised by Mortensen and Kiper because he had an "accurate arm that could throw 15-20 yards on a rope" , and "still shined as a quarterback with a weak season schedule and strong receivers". What? That was the same things people knocked him [brennan] for! Colt has tested better at accuracy than Flacco at every measure, and Flacco's arm is weak at the deep ball. What makes these guys different at all?

Colt Brennan's throwing motion.

EDIT: Shit, can you tell from that picture chad bradford throws side arm? he throws side arm. colt brennan's throwing motion is awful. That's what i mean. Like, you know how Ron jaworski will say "So and so has a bad throwing motion" but only he notices it because he played quarterback? brennan's throwing motion is so god awful everyone notices.

Here's a list of Great Blue North's Top 100 Undrafted Free Agents from the Rookie Draft: http://www.gbnreport.com/updatedtop100.html

Some interesting names...

WR DJ Hall

LB Erin Henderson

LB Ezra Butler

WR Dorien Bryant

WR Adarius Bowman

QB Kyle Wright

QB Sam Kellar

DE Johnny Dingle

LB Ben Moffitt

The Hawaii Trio: WR Davone Bess/WR Jason Rivers/WR Ryan Grice-Mullen. Wonder if any of them head to Washington to re-team with Colt?

QB Anthony Morelli

Originally I wanted Kelly, but I don't know if he is able going to recover from injuries. Jackson is a fast weapon who will help us on special teams. He's going to be able to stretch the field.

Jackson will be a good weapon that will help the return game too, but I still want a big receiver on the other side of the field.

A couple of things:

Flacco throwing the ball 74 yards or something like that in the air at that skills competition (remember, this is the team that picked Boller because he could throw 50 yards from his knees)

and

6'6" 236 vs. 6'2" 207

Not saying I disagree about Flacco being overrated, but that is probably what separated them. Personally, I have a hard time buying into a guy as a 1st rounder who transferred because he couldn't beat out Tyler Palko.

I wonder why the U has a bad reputation..hmm..

T-Good (that's just one of Taveras Gooden's nicknames) has good speed and good cover skills, but he also has experience rapping, and shows great ability in the, um, double team.

T-Good's a member of Miami's famed "Seventh Floor Crew," a group of football players that recorded a rap song in 2005 about things you wouldn't want happening to your girlfriend. Unless you were the one doing them, and even then ... I don't know, you've probably got some problems.

Here's T-Good's verse in the ditty. It might not even make a lot of sense when you take out the naughty words.

If your (expletive) the one gettin' (expletive) on the Seventh Flo'

Then you would know, 'cuz that (expletive) don't want you no mo'

She'd tell you she met a guy who was nice and candid

I think they call him T-Good, or the Big (expletive) Bandit

Said he had a big (expletive), but I thought it was random

Then he pulled out the (expletive) (object that would that imply that sex is imminent)

And he said, "Baby, that's now how it begins"

And he brought in all of his Seventh Flo' friends

She found out there was more to Miami than just a football team

There's also the Seventh Flo' king (expletive)-a-(expletive)s

Should thought 5-2 was just my number then she realized

You multiply that (expletive) up and you get my (expletive [not shoe]) size

First I put it in the (expletive), then in the (expletive)

That's all full, dog, the (there aren't actually any dirty words here, but it's gross when you put it all together)

T-Good and T-Sizzle on the D-fence

Updated thread here (these guys are on the ball with this crap):

UDFA

Morelli to the Cards

Woodhead to the Jets

Bess to Miami

Paul Smith to the Jags

Moffitt to Houston

Rivers to the Titans

Grice to the Texans

Vikings:

Erin Henderson

Marcus Griffin

Darius Reynaud

Kyle Wright

I like Amendola. No reason he can't project to be a Wes Welker type (as much as any of these guys project to a current player). Surprised someone needing a slot receiver didn't take a chance on him.

Oh, and here is hoping the Panthers suck balls next year and their 1st turns into Michael Crabtree. Yes, I am going to start beating that drum right now. That kid is just ridiculous.

Guest blame that goot.

How can anybody care about that Miami rap song? I know the school produces thugs, but they've done worse than write dopey rap songs. I bet meatheads all over the country try to write rap songs. They probably put them on Youtube. That's the least of Miami's problems. Besides, this happened a year ago. People were wringing their hands over this when Greg Olsen was drafted, too.

I like Amendola. No reason he can't project to be a Wes Welker type (as much as any of these guys project to a current player). Surprised someone needing a slot receiver didn't take a chance on him.

Oh, and here is hoping the Panthers suck balls next year and their 1st turns into Michael Crabtree. Yes, I am going to start beating that drum right now. That kid is just ridiculous.

I didn't even think of that. Thank you sir, now I have more hope after next season. Here's hoping for a Panthers nosedive!

Jackson will be a good weapon that will help the return game too, but I still want a big receiver on the other side of the field.

I think trying to fix our KR/PR problems was a bigger problem then getting a huge WR at this point.

We can still use Lito and our 1st round draft pick (considering we have the Panthers 1st round), as trade bait to get a WR. So all in all, Jackson was the right pick.

Yes trying to fix that problem is a big deal. I keep thinking back to the Packers game and how it was right there to win if it wasn't for special teams. Ugh.

I loved seeing the small school guys go by the 6th round... I can't remember this many FCS/Small School guys going before the 6th round (especially in the 1-4). 16 players with 7 (44%) going before the 4th round!

DB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: 1.16

QB Joe Flacco: 1.18

WR Jerome Simpson: 2.15

WR Dexter Jackson: 2.27

DE Kendall Langford: 3.03

DB Antwuan Molden: 3.16

DE Bryan Smith: 3.17

G Chad Rinehart: 3.33

DE William Hayes: 4.04

WR Arman Shields: 4.26

T David Hale: 4.34

DB Brandon Carr: 5.05

RB Jerome Felton: 5.11

RB Tim Hightower: 5.14

LB Kroy Biermann: 5.19

QB Josh Johnson: 5.24

Here are some FCS names to watch during Mini-Camp/Training Camp

Miami Dolphins: QB Jayson Foster (Georgia Southern)

Chicago Bears: QB Nick Hill (Southern Illinois), WR Curtis Hamilton (Western Kentucky)

Buffalo Bills: QB Luke Drone (Illinois State)

Jacksonville Jaguars: WR Clyde Edwards (Grambling)

Seattle Seahawks: CB Donovan Alexander (North Dakota), CB DeMichael Dizer (Grambling)

Dallas Cowboys: DE Marcus Dixon (Hampton)

Tennessee Titans: RB Omar Cuff (Delaware)

Kansas City Chiefs: QB Ricky Santos (New Hampshire). A favorite of mine...

Pittsburgh Steelers: WR Micah Rucker (Eastern Illinois). Really a guy to watch... big size.

Not saying I disagree about Flacco being overrated, but that is probably what separated them. Personally, I have a hard time buying into a guy as a 1st rounder who transferred because he couldn't beat out Tyler Palko.

The understanding I get about that situation isn't he couldn't beat out Palko, it was Dave wasn't going to even let him compete with Palko. Then when he wanted out of Pitt to get a chance to compete, Pitt refused to let him out of his scholarship so he had to pay for entire year at Delaware.

The one thing I think being overlooked with Flacco by the scouts is...he had himself a VERY good running attack at Delaware with Omar Cuff and his line was pretty strong. Regardless of level of competition (which honestly I think means DICK when judging whether or not someone can be a good NFL player), there are a lot of things which made me believe he wasn't a first round quarterback.

Regardless of how well Flacco pans out, the Ravens certainly made out like bandits in drafting him, largely thanks to Jacksonville. They came out of the first round with a QB, an extra 3rd and 4th round pick, all for what really only cost them a 6th rounder.

The understanding I get about that situation isn't he couldn't beat out Palko, it was Dave wasn't going to even let him compete with Palko. Then when he wanted out of Pitt to get a chance to compete, Pitt refused to let him out of his scholarship so he had to pay for entire year at Delaware.

The one thing I think being overlooked with Flacco by the scouts is...he had himself a VERY good running attack at Delaware with Omar Cuff and his line was pretty strong. Regardless of level of competition (which honestly I think means DICK when judging whether or not someone can be a good NFL player), there are a lot of things which made me believe he wasn't a first round quarterback.

The only thing I saw Flacco have over IMO better QBs like Ricky Santos and Josh Johnson was size and a rifle arm.

I also love that every time an FCS/DII player was taken, Kiper had to mention how the level of competition was an issue/question there. Well of course it's an issue but at the same time, many of these teams do play I-A teams on the schedule and many of the guys drafted actually went to the FCS (usually for more playing time) from a I-A program.

I find that comment becoming more ridiculous with each passing year when we see the successful guys hitting the NFL (2005-2007): DB Nick Colllins (arguable), WR Vincent Jackson, RB Brandon Jacobs, WR Jerome Mathis (arguable), DB Danieal Manning, QB Tarvaris Jackson (arguable), DB Antoine Bethea, WR Laurent Robinson, LB Zak DeOssie, TE Kevin Boss

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Jacksonville's draft is deceptively brilliant. They've boosted pass rush and special teams. Softness and age on the O line can be addressed internally. Plus adding Porter as a target? They're making a run at Indy this season.

Speaking of the Colts: Mike Hart in the sixth round? That's a steal. Durable, versatile, and sure-handed. I've also read nothing but good things about Pierre Garcon; some jerkwater-division college guy with amazing numbers.

Add Harvey AND Groves. Prioritize much?

Gene, why didn't da Bears draft a QB? Any QB? Is it time for 90 runs/game in Chitown?

Why not, when you've got Adrian Peterson in the backfield?

Wait... wrong Adrian Peterson.

The only thing I saw Flacco have over IMO better QBs like Ricky Santos and Josh Johnson was size and a rifle arm.

I also love that every time an FCS/DII player was taken, Kiper had to mention how the level of competition was an issue/question there. Well of course it's an issue but at the same time, many of these teams do play I-A teams on the schedule and many of the guys drafted actually went to the FCS (usually for more playing time) from a I-A program.

I find that comment becoming more ridiculous with each passing year when we see the successful guys hitting the NFL (2005-2007): DB Nick Colllins (arguable), WR Vincent Jackson, RB Brandon Jacobs, WR Jerome Mathis (arguable), DB Danieal Manning, QB Tarvaris Jackson (arguable), DB Antoine Bethea, WR Laurent Robinson, LB Zak DeOssie, TE Kevin Boss

Not to mention Steve McNair before all of this and John Taylor was a pretty damn good target on the other side of the Niners field.

Flacco threw the ball extremely well on the run with zip, that's about the only other thing I saw. The NFL right now needs quarterbacks like that. If the Ravens are smart and have a good quarterback coach then he still becomes a great pick for them. Poor coaching and they run the risk of Kyle 2.0