TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Smackdown spoilers for 5/2/08

Really? I've found Shelton to be pretty shitty for years.

Shelton always excelled in the ring when he was given the chance... His problem is just he has no mic skills and couldnt cut a promo to say his life, which could be easily solved.

Even nowadays Shelton continues to bring it in the ring... His singles matches with Kofi, Carlito, and Jimmy Yang Wang since being moved to ECW/SD! have all been very entertaining. Atleast thats how I view it.

I was there for that match (at Rupp Arena) and it was quite good, but it did point out some problems Shelton had, or even still has, as a worker. He's great at athletic spots but when he was doing the "heel in control" portion of the match he didn't seem to know what to do at times.

Here's the problem(s) with Shelton-

A. In order to be a good babyface, he needs to have a decent ability to talk. As a heel he also needs to do this, but you can at least give him a mouthpiece if he can't do it himself.

B. His wrestling ability and style makes him a natural babyface, but he botches a lot of spots. Plus he has a better understanding of how to work as a face than he does a heel, as Cabbageboy alluded to.

C. His natural aura lends to being a heel (think Floyd Mayweather but to a much lesser extent). He has a cockiness to himself that you'd want to boo him (or cheer him if that's something you like, as evident by some MVP fans around here)

So to sum it up, he has some major deficiencies as either a babyface or heel. And this is why until he fixes some or all of the problems I mentioned, he's not going to take off as much as he has the potential to.

I think Bill Goldberg in WCW proved that you don't need mic skills to be a monster babyface.

You can't book Shelton to absolutely kill people every time he goes out there like you could with Goldberg...that's not a fair comparison. You can possibly compare him to Chris Benoit in that regard if you like, but people bought Benoit as a killing machine (no pun intended), hence he got over. Shelton is neither a big ass kicking dude or a technical killing machine so it doesn't work for him not having verbal skills.

You can't book Shelton to absolutely kill people every time he goes out there like you could with Goldberg...that's not a fair comparison. You can possibly compare him to Chris Benoit in that regard if you like, but people bought Benoit as a killing machine (no pun intended), hence he got over. Shelton is neither a big ass kicking dude or a technical killing machine so it doesn't work for him not having verbal skills.

Shelton is best used as an athletic cocky babyface in the midcard... and there's nothing wrong with that. He's bad on the mic, but when they put him in the position of the guy who comes out to a cold crowd and gets them into his matches with his spots, he did well in that role. Then he got stuck in some dumb handicap feuds with Davari and Hassan, then was jobbed out to Carlito and Masters and it's like he quit caring, which showed in his ring work as he was nearly injuring himself in every major television match.

If you were being jobbed out to Carlito and Chris Masters wouldn't you find it hard to give a shit too? That stuff was during the late summer of 2005, the peak of Raw's lame duck time on Spike TV before they left for USA.

Anyway, regarding these SD spoilers. Does anyone wish SD (and ECW too I guess) would just END some feuds already? Edge jobbed to UT clean at WM. He jobbed clean at Backlash. So end the feud, it's over. We know Edge can't beat UT, even with run ins. Same thing with Chavo and Kane, we know Chavo has no shot, yet on ECW they keep this dreary feud going. I would say this is a byproduct of Hayes being suspended but SD has done this stuff for a while now, like last year with Batista getting shot after shot at Edge and jobbing constantly.

You know, I hate that so much. "If wrestler X is getting jobbed out or not pushed, why shouldn't he be expected to be lazy?" Just because management doesn't have plans for someone right away doesn't give them an excuse to half-ass it. Would this be accepted anywhere else?

Usually, WM is the first wrestling match meeting for the big time feuds, so it makes sense to stretch said feuds out for another 1 or 2 PPVs. I would expect JD to be the blowoff show for Orton/HHH (indicated as such by the gimmick match) and UT/Edge (which I'm sure will be gimmicked as well).

Oh I didn't include Orton/HHH in that since Orton lost in a 4 way and thus I can see his valid reasons for wanting a 1 on 1 match with HHH. In fact there really hasn't been a 1 on 1 Orton/HHH match from Oct. until this week on Raw.

I think this is going to turn out to be one of those fake / unrecognized title strippings. They've done this before. It'll be resolved with Undertaker still being the champion.

I think this is going to turn out to be one of those fake / unrecognized title strippings. They've done this before. It'll be resolved with Undertaker still being the champion.

How could it be overturned unless Vince does a face move?