TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Jonathan Coachman leaving WWE for ESPN

I heard DeMott on Deep South commentary once... arrgh, it burned. Actually made me glad I missed out on the announcing tryout I was once supposedly up for down there.

I can't remember the exact exchange, but Joey 'Not yet Mercury' Matthews was on Velocity leading to Tazz asking if he and Josh were related. Josh said no because his name only has one t. Tazz followed up with "My name used to have one 'z' but that's another story". I enjoyed their work.

Looks like Coachman was indeed leaving and Meltzer was correct. Jim Ross posted the following on his blog today:

It was great seeing Jonathan Coachman for a few minutes Sunday afternoon at the Nassau Coliseum and getting to meet his new, baby daughter who is beautiful for the record. Coach is leaving the WWE and will begin a new career with ESPN and will be moving to the Bristol area in the near future. I am not sure but I think I first met Coach in Kansas City where he was working with Len Dawson, the former K.C. Chiefs Hall of Fame quarterback, doing local sports on TV. It seems as if Coach may have visited the day we produced Smackdown show #1 which I broadcast with The King. Michael Cole took over then the next week on episode #2. I wish Coach nothing but the best and he is genuinely and deservedly excited about his new gig. Our infamous "Country Whipping Match" that took place in Chicago on Monday night Raw was a unique experience for both of us and I am sure provided some insiders with a chuckle or two. I do think it got a decent TV ratings from what I recall, and quite frankly ladies and gentlemen, isn't that what makes the world go 'round?

Good riddance, anyway. Coach was only interesting after he turned heel in '03, and was only entertaining for about a year. But that's not enough to warrant anyone really missing him, because he sucked on commentary and sucked as a stand-in GM. I will be interested to see him on a national sports network, though, maybe he was just out of place in the wrestling world.

How exactly was that a personal jab? He didn't personally insult him whatsoever. He just stated he didn't like his work. Unless that was an edited post...

Looks like I'm the only one who is going to miss Coach. I never got the amount of heat he gets in the IWC. I thought he was a good heel announcer. He's certaintly much better than Adamle and Tenay/West. I want to at least pay a little bit of attention to TNA, but their voices irritate me so much I can't watch for over a couple of minutes at a time.

I'll miss Coach, too. I think, his announcing aside, he always did the best he could with whatever material they threw at him.

His Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote segment with Hornswoggle was better than it had any right to be.

Remember that old segment when DX was chasing after him around the building? It was hilarious. He was a great, great personality and he will without a doubt be missed.