TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Speed Racer

Mr. Freeze the character is perfectly fine in Batman & Robin. It is the dialogue that ruins him. Poison Ivy is the one who's motivations and methods make little sense.

The director originally wanted Hulk Hogan to play Mr Freeze in Batman and Robin.

So, yes, it could have been worse.

I actually watched both of the Schumacher movies today since this thread brought them to mind. The amazing thing to me is that they did in fact usually get the right actors for the villains and still screwed it up. Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face? Sounds good in theory. Carrey as The Riddler? Fine. Arnold as Mr. Freeze, Uma as Poison Ivy. All of this sounds like decent casting, yet the characters are written so horribly. The most unforgivable is Two Face since the way he is written, played, and directed is 100% wrong given what we know about the brooding character. It's like "Hey, the raving madman schtick worked with The Joker, so we'll do it with every villain from now on!"

It's not hard to see why Silverstone and O'Donnell were wrecked by B & R the most. They sucked and not even in a so bad it's good kind of way. Batgirl was DOA as a character once she became Alfred's niece (instead of Gordon's daughter), and to boot they give her way, way too much to do in the film at the expense of Batman.

It's not hard to see why Silverstone and O'Donnell were wrecked by B & R the most. They sucked and not even in a so bad it's good kind of way. Batgirl was DOA as a character once she became Alfred's niece (instead of Gordon's daughter), and to boot they give her way, way too much to do in the film at the expense of Batman.

I think the reasoning behind Babs being Alfred's niece insted of Gordon's daughter was...well...Gordon didn't really DO much in the previous 3 Batman movies, did he?

I saw Batman and Robin in theatres THREE TIMES. If anyone familiar with the show Corner Gas saw the episode where some of the characters got roped into seeing the same terrible movie multiple times, it was pretty similar for me. I went once by myself to the first showing on a Friday morning because high school was already done by June 20th, then again Saturday afternoon because my younger cousin who was still in grade school wanted to see it, then again on Sunday because my friends wanted to see it and I for reasons I forget had to keep up the idea that I hadn't already seen it. Of course, it helped that I didn't actually think it was THAT bad 11 years ago. Even now when I watch it on DVD, I figure that at the very least there's almost always something going on (and it's pretty funny, like spman said).