TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

Deal. You'll recall my disdain during the sign-ups regarding the lack of you, Nskie, and Czech. Maybe we can get him as a play-by-play guy or something.

Gents, we have a new GM for the 14th and 15th picks.

Clock's ticking, Baron, but I'm drunk, and he's my boy.

Like Gord Downie, he'll get some grace,too. His pick is forfeited if he hasn't chosen by the time I wake up Monday.

Welcome to the party, Max, and thanks for making my pick over the weekend.

And while I was hesitant to say this until he was selected, but I'm shocked that Orr fell as far as he did - he would have been my top choice if I was picking first overall. While 99 & 66 had more gaudy numbers offensively, #4 could do so-much-more defensively.

And in a mock draft for bragging rights on the internet, what's more important than playing all three zones well?

Hey, just for confirmation, are we picking 12 forwards - regardless of their position - or 4 LW/4 C/4 RW?

I guess if Baron isn't making picks that I'd better get to stepping.

With the...next picks in the draft:

Nicklas Lidström

Lidstrom_With_Cup_JPG_small.jpg

Aaaaaaand

Dominik Hašek

AADN037~Dominik-Hasek-with-the-2002-Stanley-Cup-11-Posters.jpg

Building from the net out, motherfuckers.

No, I'm fine with 12 forwards instead of 4/4/4. Baron's pick is gone for this round - he's gone for good if he misses his pick again tomorrow, but that'll have no effect on any picks so far.

Goblin, who will first benefit from the wisdom of...Edit: Oh shit, you already called him the best leader. Pick someone.

I'm not a part of this, but I was wondering, since this hasn't been clarified:

Are you looking at full careers, or would you take people whose careers was cut short? In particular, I was thinking Mike Bossy. Just wondering if you are doing it all on career numbers or just actual talent achieved.

And a few quick observations:

- I'm surprised that Orr wasn't taken in the Top 3.

- I think max made an absolute steal with his two picks. I thought more defensemen would go quickly, since there are (in my opinion) fewer big game defensemen in comparison to the plethora of forwards one could find. Along with Hasek, and he has one hell of a start. Bravo.

- I didn't think Messier would go as high as he did... or maybe that's because he went higher than Orr. *Shrugs*. Also, I could think of at least one person I might pick over Jean Beliveau, though his leadership qualities probably make Beliveau more valuable. Can't wait to see the rest of the next round.

Yeah, that's probably it, EHME.

Each pick is assumed at the player's peak, so it's sort of a combination of reasons. Most people are explaining or 'selling' their picks, but it's basically an individual's reasoning behind each pick.

I'm a little surprised Orr went so low as well.

I sort of have my picks planned out. It's sort of hard to compare teams because we aren't playing any type of strat-o-matic or sim hockey league.

I was thinking a fantasy tournament.

Does anyone know if whatifsports allows people to load custom teams for a game or league?

If so, we could just add our teams to that site and let their computer simulate the games for a tournament or season.

Welcome back.

Re: the tourney. If whatif doesn't do what Nskie suggested, I'll randomly draw up some divisions, and arrange an inter-division round robin, to be voted upon by three out-of-division GM's. Playoff bracket to follow. If anyone else has ideas, throw 'em out there, we still have forseeably a couple of weeks before push comes to shove.

Smartly, you're up.

Ovechkin2.gif

He's played 245 games in his career. In those 245, he's scored 310 points. I crunched numbers last night. That's 1.25 points per game. So let's say he plays 1400 games. That's 1,750 career points, which would land him third all time. I pick Alex Ovechkin.

He'll also be a Stanley Cup champ when Caps eventually trade him.

I don't think it's a stretch to say the Caps will be Cup contenders in two or three years. But here is not the place for that.

Treble, make your pick, under the graces of my obligatory Holiday Inn Guy comment.

If they actually learn to play good team defense, they could be a serious threat. They definitely have the youth to stick around for a while.

The Northern Lights Five are proud to select Doug Harvey with the (whatever # pick this is) pick.

7 time Norris trophy winner

6 time Stanley Cup champ

Tremendous offensive skills from the blueline

IMHO, the second best defensemen in the history of the game.

And since I wasn't around to explain my selection of Ken Dryden: Like Max, I was planning on building from the net out, so I knew I wanted a netminder with my first choice, and it was between Dryden & someone else. I ended up going with Dryden because (1) he helped lead the Habs to 6 Cups between '71 & '79 (and that's not including his hold-out year), (2) 5 Vezina trophies in 7 years, and (3) I wanted a smart, intellectual player to neutralize some of the more bombastic players that are on my wish-list. And Dryden is most assuredly intellectual.

MF'erExtreme, you're up.