TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2008 Stanley Cup Finals

But in all seriousness, that was a great game and a heart-attack-inducing ending. God, this is a great shot in the arm for the sport. Hank getting recognition, Lidstrom getting another big check-mark against his name (The first European born and raised to lead a team to the Stanley Cup, as apparently some guy out of Odessa who was raised from infancy in Canada lead Chicago to it in 1938), and (FINALLY!) the Wings finally cap off a season the right way.

Finally! The long drought is over!! These last 5 seasons must have been brutal for you Wings fans.

Sorry to bust balls, but when your team has won 4 in like 11 seasons, it's tough to see a "Finally" and not make jokes. Try being a Bruins fan or a Leaf fan who hasn't gotten to see a Cup celebration in their life time. (Especially a Leafs fan, I'd say ... at least us B's fans have seen our team play for a Cup)

EDIT: And having said that, congrats to the Wings fans. Your boys really did deserve the Cup this year, they were the best team all along and deserved the win.

I was actually making reference to the fact that they've been the first seed in the West ever since the 2002 win (along with two President's Trophies), but they've never been able to finish it. I wouldn't say it like that if they weren't the damned 1st Seed every damned year. :P

I think Zetterberg will eventually become the Captain of the Red Wings once Lidstrom retires (not anytime soon I hope). It was a good game and I had a lot of faith that they would get it done last night. I'll give the Pittsburgh fans credit, they stayed until the trophy presentation but I guess when you pay so much for those tickets, you HAVE to see something so memorable even if it isn't your team hoisting it.

And wow Detroit closed off all their series this year on the road.

Great game, great win, fun series. This is something the NHL needed, excitment all the way around. As a Rangers fan, it's always nice to see an original 6 team win if my team can't do it. Congradulations to the Wings and their fans.

Ratings Info: ... Cup Runneth Over

Should the 7.02 million viewers hold, Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals would be the most watched NHL telecast since Game 7 of the Mighty Ducks/Devils Finals drew 7.2 million viewers in 2003.

And across the board, ratings are up compared to last year. I'm presuming some of it is because there are two US teams, and neither of them are recent expansion teams. But regardless why the ratings were up, it's good to see that people were tuning in.

This series was more competitive than the Anaheim/Ottawa series.

I disagree with that wholeheartedly. Of the four games that Anaheim won, three were one goal games, and all three saw Anaheim take the lead in the third period. Before Game 3 of this series, we were wondering if Pittsburgh was even going to score a goal, let alone win a game.

I disagree with that wholeheartedly. Of the four games that Anaheim won, three were one goal games, and all three saw Anaheim take the lead in the third period. Before Game 3 of this series, we were wondering if Pittsburgh was even going to score a goal, let alone win a game.

But it wasn't exciting hockey. For the skill those two teams had it was very lackluster.

But it wasn't exciting hockey. For the skill those two teams had it was very lackluster.

True for the most part, but competitive <> exciting.

At least this year they appeared to have ice more solid than what you'd find in your typical sno-cone.