TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2008 Stanley Cup Finals

If I had to pick one final that didn't involve a Canadian team at the outset, I think this would be the one I'd pick. Should be a very interesting series. I don't really have a rooting interest -- you have the quitter Hasek on one side, and Gary Fucking Roberts on the other.

The two teams did not play each other during the regular season.

Game 1, May 24 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8 p.m.

Game 2, May 26 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8 p.m.

Game 3, May 28 -- Detroit at Pittsburgh, 8 p.m.

Game 4, May 31 -- Detroit at Pittsburgh, 8 p.m.

*-Game 5, June 2 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8 p.m.

*-Game 6, June 4 -- Detroit at Pittsburgh, 8 p.m.

*-Game 7, June 7 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8 p.m.

Guest Desensitized

I think Lidstrom, Osgood, and Zetterberg should do a great job leading the Red Wings to the 1999 Stanley Cup.

This could end up being a great series. I think for forwards I'd give a slight edge to Pittsburgh. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are just as good (if not better) than Malkin and Crosby but Hossa, Sykora and Malone give them a slight advantage. If Johan Franzen makes it back I'd call the forwards a draw. As for defense, no question the edge goes to Wings. Their top four is outstanding and Kronwall is showing why he was sorely missed in last year's run. Goaltending is going to be crucial but I'd say it's an even battle. Both Fleury and Osgood have been solid but not tested by the kind of offenses they're about to face. Osgood has been here before so he has that going for him. In the end, I think Pittsburgh has a legitimate chance but Detroit's superior defense and overall experience carries them to victory in six games. Henrik Zetterberg will win the Conn Smythe trophy.

AiG, you lost me with

Zetterberg and Datsyuk are just as good (if not better) than Malkin and Crosby

Maybe if you're referring to their total game, their ability to play in all three zones. But it doesn't seem to be that, it seems like you're referring exclusively to their offensive prowress. And even though their point totals are comparable this post-season (in fact I think that they're identical) the Wings have also played a couple more games, so their PPG is slightly lower.

It's a big stretch to say that the Wings duo is just as good as the Penguins duo ... and it's not realistic to say that they're better.

Having said that: Defense is very much in Detroit's favor, as is goaltending, so it's tough to pick a winner. I'm going to go with the Wings, in 6, but I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh won, or if either team won in less games or it went a full 7. Basically, I have no idea what I think.

I think Lidstrom, Osgood, and Zetterberg should do a great job leading the Red Wings to the 1999 Stanley Cup.
I thought Detroit already won the 1999 Cup, by beating the actual winners in the Western Conference Finals. Didn't Detroit put their 97-98 Cup up against the Stars' Cup?

Forwards:

Penguins have had all 4 lines contributing and playing great hockey. Staal and Talbot have been great tertiary scoring (Crosby, Malkin, Malone, Hossa, Sykora should be enough to consitute primary and secondary scoring) while Laraque's line has been excellent at controlling the play and cycling the puck down low. Flawless play from pretty much everyone (outside of Gary Roberts). The Red Wings top unit of Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom has been the best line in the playoffs but they're other lines have not been too consistant. They've been lucky enough to have SOMEONE show up every game outside of the big 3 but never more than other line. Eventhough, right now, I'd say Datsyuk and Zetterberg are playing better than Crosby and Malkin, the Penguins have are quite a bit stronger, with or without Franzen playing.

EDGE: PENGUINS

Defence:

The Red Wings defence has been phenomenal. They have the best defenseman in the league and a lot of other good defensemen who fill needs (Kronwall, Rafalski etc.). The Penguins have a solid top 2 in Gonchar and Whitney (eventhough Whitney has little range outside of being an offensive defenseman) and the others have been playing beyond expectations. However, no match for the Red Wings.

EDGE: RED WINGS

Goalie:

Fleury has been solid and that's all he's really needed to be. The Penguins generally outshoot opponents bu double figures so Fleury gets by making 18-20 saves a game. He's held up when necessary but that hasn't been often and he definetely has not faced an attack like this yet. Take the same exact two sentences and apply them to Osgood.

EDGE: DRAW

Coaching:

Therrien has been solid, making adjustments when necessary and doing a good job of not overplaying the big guns, however he still makes rookie mistakes (sending Crosby in the last minute of a blow-out) that could cost the Pens against the Wings. Babcock isn't Scottie Bowman but he, generally, avoids making any glaring mistakes that could cost his team.

Power Play:

Both teams have been excellent.

EDGE: DRAW

Penalty Kill:

Both teams have been great however the Red Wings have a knack for timely shorthanded goals so the edge is theirs.

OVERALL:

It'll be a great series, possibly the best in a very long time and should be close throughout but the experience and defence of the Red Wings should put away the Penguins who have been playign slightly over their heads.

RESULT: RED WINGS IN 6

AiG, you lost me with
Zetterberg and Datsyuk are just as good (if not better) than Malkin and Crosby

Maybe if you're referring to their total game, their ability to play in all three zones. But it doesn't seem to be that, it seems like you're referring exclusively to their offensive prowress. And even though their point totals are comparable this post-season (in fact I think that they're identical) the Wings have also played a couple more games, so their PPG is slightly lower.

While I'll concede that the Pens duo may have an edge offensively, if we include the overall package I think Datsyuk and Zetterberg are right there. Both are Selke nominees and play the PK often (and are a threat to score in that role which adds another dimension to their games). In time Malkin and Crosby will get there but to me offense is their only weapon so that's why I put Hank and Pav up there. Hell, Zetterberg probably would have hit top three scoring had he not gotten injured (but I guess you could say the same about Crosby). Either way that matchup is what is going to make this series exciting.

I agree with Angle on the "Whole Package" argument. Sure, they don't get as many points, but in part that's because of their incredibly solid defensive play. It should also be noted that Zetterberg and Datsyuk have played against better teams overall in comparison to the Pens (Dallas should be enough to make that argument).

Looking at this, I almost want to say Detroit in 5, though my realistic bet is in 6. I think that the Pens have had one of the easiest paths to the Cup in recent years, with timely injuries along with absolute collapses in two series helping out. They have yet to play against a truly complete team (Ottawa was a wreck, the Ranger's offense was abysmal, and Philly's injuries killed their defense), something you could argue Detroit did with Dallas. I think Detroit's team defense will be able to keep the Crosby-Malkin-Hossa line from running away with games and keep secondary scoring down, while Detroit's offense should be more than enough to overwhelm the Pen's overperforming defense (Which has yet to really be tested).

So I guess Detroit in 6. Too much polish with the Wings to just be overwhelmed with talent.

pittsburgh has more offensive fire power, but detroit's top two guys are better than pittsburghs. everyone can piss & moan all they want, but as a total package, both datsyuk and zetterberg are more complete players right now. they are the two best defensive forwards in the nhl in addition to being top 10 forwards in the entire offensively. gonchar makes mistakes. lidstrom is the best defenseman in over twenty years. i don't think pitts even has a defender at the level of kronwall...or even defensively as strong as stuart. i have been wrong before (many times) but i just see this as detroit's series. the detroit/pitts rivalry will be around for a long time....maybe like lakers/celts. both teams are set for a long long time.

i'd maybe *maybe* take that into consideration, however, the nhl would be just as happy to see a regular 6 team win the cup. the cup back in hockeytown? while not the beginning of another dynasty, its not exactly like they're playing nashville.

Offence:

Pittsburgh. They can roll out all for lines and get production on each line.

Defence:

Pittsburgh: Detroit's old age is going to kill them on the back end when matching the speed of the Pens. Unless Lindstrom is going to play 35+ minutes a game, the Wings D needs to pick up their game.

Goaltending:

Detroit: Fleury hasn't been tested that often this post season, and hasn't seen much offence power from Ottawa, New York and Phili. Detroit is another team all together. Ozzy is solid and needs to step up his game to carry the Wings to victory.

Winner:

Pens in six.

It's not even a theory. I just look at the teams and think about how weird the penalty calling has a tendency to get when the games get close. It's more of a "I've seen this before..." then a theory.

Penguins in 6.

The NHL had a Stanley Cup of Edmonton v. Carolina. If they rig the playoffs, they do an awful job at it

Guest Desensitized

I'm just happy we finally have a cold-weather Stanley Cup for the first time since 2001. Still, it sticks in my craw that the Hawks excelled against the Wings this year, and the Wings are still the best team in the league. I'm sick of them. I won't do it for the conference. Go Penguins.

It's not even a theory. I just look at the teams and think about how weird the penalty calling has a tendency to get when the games get close. It's more of a "I've seen this before..." then a theory.

Penguins in 6.

The NHL had a Stanley Cup of Edmonton v. Carolina. If they rig the playoffs, they do an awful job at it

Carolina made perfect sense; Bettman needed a team that he relocated to be successful & regionally relevant, and what better way to achieve that than by having them play for & win a Cup? And Edmonton? He just threw a bone to the Canadians.

Having said all that: no, I don't think the NHL is manipulating anything to give a certain team a Cup or anything. This isn't Stern & the NBA we're talking about.

I want the Pens to win (due to my hate of the Wings), but I have the sneaking suspicion that the cup will be back in Hockeytown again this year.

Offence:

Pittsburgh. They can roll out all for lines and get production on each line.

Defence:

Pittsburgh: Detroit's old age is going to kill them on the back end when matching the speed of the Pens. Unless Lindstrom is going to play 35+ minutes a game, the Wings D needs to pick up their game.

Goaltending:

Detroit: Fleury hasn't been tested that often this post season, and hasn't seen much offence power from Ottawa, New York and Phili. Detroit is another team all together. Ozzy is solid and needs to step up his game to carry the Wings to victory.

Winner:

Pens in six.

you may be the only person dumb enough to be criticising the deepest defense core in the league. age only applies to chelios and maybe lidstrom. everyone else is in their prime. except kronwall and lebda. they're going to get better. if there is anyone team in the league that has the definsive prowess, offensively and defensively, to stop the penguins it is the red wings. defense is the name of their game. it is everything. to give the duke definsively to the penguins is absolutely fucking stupid.

definsively.........absolutely fucking stupid.

I agree with Baron to an extent. There's no disputing how good Detroit's defencemen are, but it's not a stretch to say that Chelios and Lidstrom could be huffing and puffing against a speedy team like Pittsburgh (who they haven't been up against all year, mind you). And though it does apply to Pittsburgh as well, many of the Red Wings have played 100 games now this season - that's a lot to ask, stellar conditioning or not, of two guys in the twilights of their careers.

I still give the nod, both the series and the head-to-head defence matchup, to the Wings; but Baron is not incorrect.

i agree with chelios

lidstrom? there's been no evidence of his age catching up to him playing defense against young forwards. especially since he is going to win another norris trophy. don't let age deceive anyone into thinking that lidstrom is going to have trouble with crosby and malkin. he's shown no signs of slowing down.

and pittsburgh has a defensive liability with gonchar and slow brtues like gill, whitney, and orpik. to say that pittsburgh has the defensive upper hand is silly.

I'm going to disagree, CG. Seriously, Pittsburgh is fast, but Detroit is certainly not slow. While I might believe Chelios getting tired (Of course, he's the #5 Defenseman and he still has that ridiculous conditioning routine), Lidstrom's positioning and general hockey intelligence often prevents him from needing to chase people. I mean, that's the primary reason why he can play so many minutes despite his age, and why he might beat Bobby Orr's Norris Trophy record. While Pittsburgh is fast, they don't control the puck nearly as well (and I'm willing to bet in this series, as often) as Detroit does, and I doubt they'll have the chance to "wear out" Lidstrom, let alone guys like Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, and Lebda. You are also discounting Detroit's superior (yes, superior) team defense, and the fact that just about everyone on that team is defensively sound.

On the flip side, the Penguins have Gonchar and... Whitney (Of course, he bears the infamous "Offensive Defenseman" title...)? Gill? Letang? I'd be a lot more worried about Pittsburgh's defense against a team that also rolls four lines all the time (I don't see how Pittsburgh does it any better than Detroit does). Saying Crosby-Hossa-Malkin is going to tire out the deepest lineup in the league while ignoring the lack of depth against a rolling Detroit team is a serious flaw in the "Pens have better Defense" argument you guys are putting up.

Since I'm completely reckless with my money (and I love the Red Wings that much) I'm heading down to Detroit for game one. It'll be my first game there and I can't think of a better game to mark my first visit to the JLA. Should be a hell of a time and I just pray that Detroit gets a win to make the trip that much better.

Detroit defence isn't as immobile as Phili, but Pittsburgh can roll out four lines switch them up and still be productive. Which line would Lindstrom be taking? Crosby or Malkin line.

Pittsburgh defence isn't the best and certainly not better than Detroit, but Detroit has a lot more on their plate than what Pittsburgh has to do.

LIDSTROM. NO "N". Christ, that always pisses me off.

"Not as immobile as Philli?" Do you even watch Red Wings games? If you do, then you wouldn't be giving such a backhanded compliment. They are incredibly mobile! We've seen Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, and Lebda join the rush numerous times. I don't see how Pittsburgh is "faster"... younger, yes, but I don't see the incredible difference there. Unless you are just basing this one Chelios (Which it seems everyone wants to do, especially when they call the Wings "old and slow").

Crosby or Malkin line? If you split them up, I think you honestly decrease their value. The reason the Hossa-Crosby-Malkin (in no particular order, there) is so damn effective is because they are together, and they've gelled pretty well. Taking them away, in my opinion, will only make it easier for Detroit because it goes from one "Super" line to two "Great" lines, and I think Detroit easily has the depth and the system to handle them broken up. You are seriously overlooking Kronwall and Stuart, who have been a fantastic pairing this year.

And are you kidding? Detroit rolls four lines, can switch them up, and still be productive. Look at Franzen, Hudler, Sameulsson, and Filppula. Even Drake, McCarty, Helm and Draper produce chances and can push defenses back. All of them have been great during the playoffs (The only under-performer on Detroit is probably Cleary). Gonchar and Whitney might stop the Euro Twins... but they don't have anything to stop the second, third, and fourth lines. The Pittsburgh defense hasn't faced anything even close to this in their walk to the finals, and their rookies are going to be hard-pressed to keep up with a deep, veteran lineup that will pass around them all day.

Why does everyone keep talking about the Malkin-Crosby-Hossa line? No such line exists. The only time they play together is on the powerplay. Crosby and Hossa play with Dupuis and Malkin plays with Malone and Sykora. I don't think Crosby and Malkin have taken more than 10 even-strength shifts together in the playoffs.