TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge Gorgeous

The NFL All-Time Draft.

Guest Vitamin X

Kahran made two awesome fucking picks there these last two rounds. O'Neal isn't someone who gets mentioned too much, but he's a hell of a force on defense.

Kahran made two awesome fucking picks there these last two rounds. O'Neal isn't someone who gets mentioned too much, but he's a hell of a force on defense.

Thank you, thank you. You're right. O'Neal doesn't get talked about nearly as much as he should. He's in the top ten for sacks all time, and basically saved the Chargers defense in the late 80s/early 90s.

This must have been the Leslie O'Neal round as I was planning on taking him here after my last pick.

mike.jpeg

Mike Holmgren, Head Coach

Super Bowl XXXI Champion

3 NFC Championships

8 Division Championships

12 Playoff Appearances

2 Super Bowl Championships as Offensive Coordinator

157-99 Career Record

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Randy Moss in a real West Coast Offense? Hmm. That could be sick. Taking a 6 yard cross or slant route and creating after the catch isn't really something I've associated with him.

robinson_all.jpg

Eugene Robinson, FS

Career Stats

Tackles 1,415

Interceptions 57 (12th all-time)

Fumble recoveries 22

Sacks 7.5

Career Highlights and Awards

3x Pro Bowl selection (1992, 1993, 1998)

2x All-Pro selection (1993, 1998)

Super Bowl XXXI champion

3-time NFC champion

Never hurts to have another ball hawk in the secondary.

I'm going to take Karl Mecklenburg. Surprised he hasn't been taken yet, to be honest.

* Pro Bowl (x6) (1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993)

* All-Pro 1985-1987, 1989, 1991

karl_mecklenburg.jpg

I'm going to have him play outside linebacker rather than on the inside...I hate 3-4.

Guest Vitamin X
Randy Moss in a real West Coast Offense? Hmm. That could be sick. Taking a 6 yard cross or slant route and creating after the catch isn't really something I've associated with him.

Yeah, that's a good point. Holmgren worked well with having a sick defense and excellent possession receivers like Brooks, Chmura, and Freeman (I guess Keith Jackson and Andre Rison fit under this as well) and then having his quarterback under control to win games. But, much like Favre, the two haven't really been that great since they split. I really, REALLY wish the Packers would've managed to keep Holmgren since the only thing he wanted in Green Bay that they didn't want to give him were GM duties, which the Packers then gave to Mike fucking Sherman later on anyways. And Holmgren relinquished GM duties in Seattle later on anyways!

But an interesting coach pick with a lot of the coaches still out there. Holmgren is only the 11th coach picked in this draft (after freakin' Don Coryell) and now I'm just interested in seeing where my two backup picks for coach would be going...

I'm going to take Karl Mecklenburg. Surprised he hasn't been taken yet, to be honest.

I came thisclose to drafting Mecklenburg over Dean, but there's another guy out there in the pool who fits Karl's position perfectly for me. Fact is, I'd take him over a lot of linebackers already drafted, including one on my team. I took the risk of leaving "him" for another round because Dean was going to be scooped up. He WILL be taken with my next pick if he's around.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Yeah, that's a good point. Holmgren worked well with having a sick defense and excellent possession receivers like Brooks, Chmura, and Freeman (I guess Keith Jackson and Andre Rison fit under this as well) and then having his quarterback under control to win games. But, much like Favre, the two haven't really been that great since they split. I really, REALLY wish the Packers would've managed to keep Holmgren since the only thing he wanted in Green Bay that they didn't want to give him were GM duties, which the Packers then gave to Mike fucking Sherman later on anyways. And Holmgren relinquished GM duties in Seattle later on anyways!

But an interesting coach pick with a lot of the coaches still out there. Holmgren is only the 11th coach picked in this draft (after freakin' Don Coryell) and now I'm just interested in seeing where my two backup picks for coach would be going...

Coryell's the perfect fit for Porter's team, really. I'm coming around on what he's trying to do.

Personally, I can't stand Mike Holmgren and don't even think he should've been drafted

20 Coaches I'd Take Before Mike Holmgren

1. Tom Landry

2. Vince Lombardi

3. Lovie Smith George Halas

4. Bill Walsh

5. George Seifert

6. Paul Brown

7. Joe Gibbs

8. Chuck Noll

9. Don Shula

10. John Madden

11. Curly Lambeau

12. Bud Grant

13. Dan Reeves

14. Bill Belichick

15. Bill Parcells

16. Bill Cowher

17. George Allen

18. Jimmy Johnson

19. Weeb f'in Eubank

20. Don Coryell, honestly.

I can keep track of my own turn, but I have no idea who is supposed to be going now.

I wasn't going to mention those coaches that haven't been selected yet, but since Tzar went ahead and did it anyways, I really think that Halas & Lambeau would have gone by now. I actually expected going into this thing that I would end up with Lambeau as my coach, but I ended up in a position where I felt Shula was the best value pick not knowing Paul Brown would still be around a few rounds later.

My top tier is Shula, Landry, Lombardi, Brown, Walsh, Noll & Halas. I think there is a significant drop-off after those seven, even though there are obviously other great coaches as mentioned above.

My computer is messed for some reason, sorry about that. Just now got my other computer working.

JohnnyRobinsonCard-150.gif

DB Johnny Robinson

7 Pro Bowls

8 All Pros

Finally addressing my secondary with a play-making safety. Recovered a fumble to seal the game in Super Bowl IV, which he played with 3 broken ribs. Was a pretty good receiver and return man too.

There goes my next pick. I didn't pick him sooner because I already had three guys in my secondary, but I was hoping to get him next. I believe he had an interception in that Super Bowl as well. Fantastic pick.

With the O-Line situated, I'm going to grab another LB.

s_hardy_sp.jpg

Hardy Nickerson

Career Stats

Tackles 1,586

Sacks 21

Interceptions 12

4x Pro Bowl selection (1993, 1996, 1997, 1999)

NFL 1990s All-Decade Team

Guest Vitamin X

Nickerson is a great pick, and would've been my pick if not for:

chuckhowleylu9.jpg

LB Chuck Howley

Career Stats

Sacks 26.5

Interceptions 25

Touchdowns 2

* 6x Pro Bowl selection (1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1971)

* 7x All-Pro selection (1963, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971)

* Super Bowl V MVP

* Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor

* 20/20 Club

Howley was someone picked up by Tom Landry after a season-ending injury was thought to be career-threatening when he was with the Bears. He was an incredible athlete, and likely one of the fastest guys on my team, albeit he's probably one of the smaller guys on my LB squad. This completes the 4 linebackers in my 3-4. I'll thus have:

ROLB: Chuck Howley Height: 6-3 Weight: 228 lbs. - Fast as fuck, nose for the ball.

RILB: Randy Gradishar Height: 6-3 Weight: 233 lbs. - Played the RILB spot for most of his career, tremendous run stopper, beefs up the right side.

LILB: Ted Hendricks Height: 6-7 Weight: 220 lbs. - Tall, lanky guy who'll break up practically any pass and was also a killer at stopping the run.

LOLB/LDE: Kevin Greene Height: 6-3 Weight: 247 lbs. - Fucking monster who isn't afraid to break your teeth and make you spit blood. Premier enemy of any and all positions in the offensive backfield, and can give left tackles something to lose sleep over whether blitzing or playing as a mean, fast and strong as fuck DE.

Screw what people have in the trenches; no way any play goes beyond 3 yards with these 4, plus my guys in the secondary.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Same logic as me! I have two sideline-to-sideline psychopathic ballhawking headhunters and a tall, fast, versatile athlete that can lay a whallop on someone and is awful purty. Lambert requested Taylor on the team to be Jack's wingman. Those three linebackers plus the ever-outstretched flesh-ripping hands of my line, plus Landry's genius (the guy who foiled the fabled Packer Sweep)..secondary's no joke either. Not possible to score. I just like 4-3 more than 3-4.

I don't think people in this draft quite realize how severely even a few all-pro defensive playmakers can make a difference in a ballgame, let alone half a dozen or more HOF defenders on each team. The game would end 5-3.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, right. Maybe 10-6 at best. I like the 3-4 for two reasons: One, Randy Gradishar excelled and was one of the best ever in that position, so I figured it smart to play to his strengths; but more than anything, the 3-4 is a headache for many offensive coordinators since they're not used to it and when you have a versatile linebacker that can kill on the line as well, it's difficult to call a smart offensive play not knowing if the LB is rushing or defending the pass; it's especially good against a slot receiver set, but you need to have a great nosetackle in which if Cortez Kennedy had come to me a round ago or so, I would have the PERFECT 3-4. I could still have a great one, just not a perfect one.

I do find it weird every single one of my linebackers is 6'3" except for Hendricks. Must be an ideal height for LB.

Yeah, right. Maybe 10-6 at best. I like the 3-4 for two reasons: One, Randy Gradishar excelled and was one of the best ever in that position, so I figured it smart to play to his strengths; but more than anything, the 3-4 is a headache for many offensive coordinators since they're not used to it and when you have a versatile linebacker that can kill on the line as well, it's difficult to call a smart offensive play not knowing if the LB is rushing or defending the pass; it's especially good against a slot receiver set, but you need to have a great nosetackle in which if Cortez Kennedy had come to me a round ago or so, I would have the PERFECT 3-4. I could still have a great one, just not a perfect one.

I do find it weird every single one of my linebackers is 6'3" except for Hendricks. Must be an ideal height for LB.

Well, the 3-4 was "the" defense of the 70's and into the 80's, much like the 4-3 is "the" defense in the 90's and 2000's. Most 3-4 LBs seem to be around 6'2" - 6'4" thanks to the Parcells/Belichick mold of a solid size ratio.

Either way, we're getting close to a full 24 hours since the last pick (the time limit's 8 hours now I believe).

In that case, with a brief scan of the first page to make sure he's not taken...

Marvin Harrison is a great receiver, but he's only one man, and you need to augment Joe Namath's abilities the best you can. Thus, it's time to pick another great receiver, one with speed. And if you're going to take a speedy receiver, you might as well take the fastest man in the world.

hayes.JPG

"Bullet" Bob Hayes, WR

Having set several sprinting records at Florida State, including world records in the 100 meter and 200 and tying the world record for the 220 yard dash, and won a gold medal at the 1964 Olympics in sprinting, Hayes brought his track abilities to the Dallas Cowboys, where he served as often as a decoy as a receiver, as teams would often have to double-team him in order to keep up with him. His effectiveness was reduced drastically with the onset of zone defense and the bump-and-run, which were created solely to combat him, but he still helped Dallas win five division titles, two NFC titles, and a Super Bowl. Bob Hayes is quite possibly the best player not in the Hall of Fame.

3x Pro Bowl

4x All-Pro

371 receptions

7414 receiving yards

71 touchdowns

First Dallas Cowboy to 1,000 receiving yards in a season (rookie year)

Led NFL in receiving touchdowns his first two years

NFL's leading punt returner in 1968

Only athlete with both a Super Bowl ring and an Olympic gold medal

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I disagree completely about Hayes being the best player not in the HOF, because I'm taking that guy.

011006Guy180.jpg

PUNTER- Ray Guy.

Am I nuts for taking a punter before any offensive lineman? Maybe, but this guy can kick thread through a needle, and I want to pin opponents in the ugliest situations possible so my defense can pin their ears back and dismantle them. Plus I have this weird inkling that someone else wants him, and I don't want to lose two top-rate special teams guys.

Why in the hell is Ray Guy not in the Hall of Fame? Punting matters.

Look at this shit:

7x Pro Bowl selection (1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980)

9x All-Pro selection (1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981)

3x Super Bowl champion (XI, XV, XVIII)

NFL's 75th Anniversary Team

NFL 1970s All-Decade Team

Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame

Georgia Sports Hall of Fame

College Football Hall of Fame

For the critics that say kickers aren't good athletes, this guy was also a starting safety in college (Division 1-A ball) which is one of the most athletically demanding positions on a football field. He never had a punt returned for a TD. He had 210 (official) kicks inside the 20, and only 128 touchbacks in over 1000 kicks. 619 straight before one was blocked, and he played in 207 consecutive games. What's really sick to think about is that Guy played on a team that won 3 superbowls. They had a great offense and this guy still led the league in punting three times. Imagine his numbers if he played on some pack of suckasses like Tampa Bay.

Enjoy calling fair catch on the 3 yard line!

Alrighty then. Well, I think I'm starting to overanalyze the players available, cuz I probably considered at least 10 players to take in this spot. Since all this Brett Favre talk has been dominating the sports world lately, I figured why not take one of his favorite players?

glloyd.jpg

Greg Lloyd

Pro Bowl (x5) (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995)

All-Pro (x3) (1993, 1994, 1995)

1994 UPI AFL-AFC Player of the Year

Steelers' 75th Anniversary Team

I think part of the problem with me deciding on players is the high number of quality players who were DE/OLB "tweeners", played in a 3-4 defense (like Lloyd), or both. I just couldn't pass him up though and he's gonna play in the 4-3 on my team. Lloyd was truly a mean dude. He used to wear a shirt that said "I Wasn't Hired For My Disposition." Once knocked Favre out of a game, basically told Joe Namath to fuck off, and even (allegedly) shoved a pistol into his son's mouth for having bad grades. He was one of the more outspoken players against the protective QB rules and was definitely one of the NFL's most feared players in the 90's. This guy simply does not care about the well being of others.