TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge Gorgeous

The NFL All-Time Draft.

tim%20mcdonald.JPG

SS Tim McDonald

6'2" and 215 lbs. made the Pro Bowl 6 times in his career. Had 40 INT and 1,063 tackles in his career. His peak was 1989 (7 INT and 155 Tackles) showing he'll gladly cream somebody as snatch the ball out of the air. Had 20 INT on some poor Phoenix defenses in only 80 games and then was a mainstay deep for San Francisco during their mid-90's run of dominance in the NFC (1993-1999). Very underrated player at the position and another guy who played on some top notch defenses.

p1_ware.jpg

DeMarcus Ware.

I was kinda surprised he was still available. Maybe he isn't, but he wasn't on the list. I knew he's only been in the league for 3 years but he's already been a 2 Time Pro Bowler, 2 Time All-Pro (1 time first team). A beast at linebacker who will complete my linebacking core along with Butkus and Brazile.

FPGBPLongwellRyan.jpg

Ryan Longwell, K

He was consistent and accurate in a place it's very hard to be consistent and accurate. If he can excel in Green Bay, he can excel in any weather my team may come upon.

and

p1_sauerbrun.jpg

Todd Sauerbrun, P

Before the roids, he had a very high yard average per kick and made a bunch of Pro Bowls and All-Pro lists so good for him. He's a punter, what more do I need really?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Did I miss one of Brooklyn Zoo's picks? Check your roster, dude, I probably missed something or else you have an extra pick to take at any time.

It's been well over 16 hours, so I'll make my last pick now. I'm the last person to take a coach and it's pretty damn hard trying to come up with one because there's still so many legends out there. There are also some coaches out there that would run great schemes for my team but don't stack up when it comes to their overall coaching resume. In the end, I'm gonna go with a guy that's been overlooked and hasn't even been mentioned in this thread.

Stram.jpg

Hank Stram

1968 PFW AFL Coach of the Year

1968 UPI AFL Coach of the Year

3x AFL Championship winner (1962, 1966, 1969)

Super Bowl champion (IV)

Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame

131-97-10 (Regular season)

5-3 (Post season)

136-100-10 (Overall)

Another innovator of the game, Stram knows how to develop talent and coach them up. He's created the two TE formation, the moving pocket, and the triple stack defense, all of which I plan to use at certain times. Not to mention being the first coach to wear a mic, giving legendary Super Bowl quotes such as "matriculating the ball down the field" and "65 toss power trap". Tough call, but Stram is the type of coach I'm looking for here.

My final selection...

Eddie%20Murray.jpg

K Eddie "Money" Murray

At his peak, he was connecting at 95%! He had 6 years with a minimum of 83.9% and was good 65% of the time in his career from 40-49 yards. Also made 49% of his kicks from 50+ yards and had 5 punts good for a 38.4 average!

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Ok, well, it's time for my QB.

Like with dude's coach pick, there are still soooooooo many great ones out there.

Fuck those guys.

michael_vick_2.jpg

Yes, I'm seriously taking QB-Michael Vick

In six years of playing for a really shit team, he's completed over half of his passes to nobody worth a shit not named Alge Crumpler, for over 11,000 yards. He's also the only QB to ever pass and run for over 1,000 yards each in a season. Three time pro-bowler, and slew the packers in the postseason in Lambeau, so he CAN perform under pressure. His only negatives, as far as I'm concerned, are being injury prone and his off-field issues, which I don't give a fuck about, personally. He can give women herpes and kill dogs all he wants. Bad news surounding athletes is nothing new, but the internet and the instant media are. Look at the kind of shit Babe Ruth used to pull, and he's one of the most revered athletes of all time.

Also, consider the offense I'm running. Max protection, and nonstop running game. Imagine what a raw natural amazing athlete like Vick would've done back in the day. He'd run circles around everyone. He's already the fastest guy on the field, and he's a friggin' QB in the era of nothing but top-form athletes.

I'm limiting him to maybe 20-25 attempts per game, and he's yet another running threat. He also has speed to get around the edges of these mean defensive lines.

Flame away.

Interesting pick... I'm not criticizing it, I always thought Vick was loaded with potential, and would've been great with an offensive minded coach. He looked GREAT under Dan Reeves(whom was unfairly fired), and had Reeves still would've been with the Falcons his numbers would've been a lot better. Plus I always wanted to see him with a legit #1 wide out.

Thank god Stram got picked up. He was one I was worried about not making it. Too bad Bill Cowher gets left out now, though.

As far as Vick goes... Hey, in an offense where you don't plan on passing, that's a great choice. And with Tsar having a 210 pound center playing next to an out-of-position DT trying to play guard, he'll need a QB that can scramble. I don't think there's any question he still has the worst offense here by a lot, but Vick/Dorsett/Coates should be able to put a few points on the board, even with every defense putting 9-10 in the box against him.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

210 was plenty big for the 1930s. Culp was a two way starter. Guard and Nose tackle.

I'm counting on everyone and their brother in the box. That makes a defense one-dimensional by design. Mix it up with play action and screen passes. Besides, so what if I have to punt? I have Ray Guy pinning you deep against an 11 guys that will seem like 15.

It's fun to imagine these teams playing each other, but I think the real goal here should be to judge these players against their own generation, and to put together the team of your dreams.

It's fun to imagine these teams playing each other, but I think the real goal here should be to judge these players against their own generation, and to put together the team of your dreams.

Agree 100% on that one. Players need to be judged based on their own generation. I did the same thing with my RT and several of my defensive players.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Randall Cunningham took a zillion sacks and has a lower YPC than Vick. Vick has run for over half as many yards as Cunningham in less than half the time. Nearly equal in terms of pro bowls and crap, and I'd argue that Cunningham did less with more around him. Nearly equal in terms of completion percentage. Cunningham has about three times as many passing yards in over twice the career length Vick has had, but was also throwing to the 98 Vikings offense for a year.

Basically, the two are proportionately equal in my book, statistically speaking. I took the better athlete.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Agree 100% on that one. Players need to be judged based on their own generation. I did the same thing with my RT and several of my defensive players.

Picture Dwight Freeney blitzing inside against..I don't know..Mel Hein or something..it'd be a slaughter.

While I'm sure whatifsports will find a happy medium based on raw numbers, I think it's too difficult to really imagine these teams facing each other with everyone playing relative to their own time. Yeah, thinking of modern D-lines matching up with 40's O-lines is one thing, but then throw in 90's receivers being guarded by 70's corners with linebackers spanning 40 years all playing out of 60's coach's playbook. Everything in football is so interdependent on other positions and matchups, there isn't really a perfect way to compare these teams to one another.

Ok, let's wrap this up with:

picture1mg9.jpg

Adam Timmerman - RG

1x Pro Bowl

1x All Pro

2x Super Bowl Champ

The final piece to my O-Line and my team. Along with Orlando Pace, Adam Timmerman was a staple on the turn-of-the-millenium Rams O-Line that made the "greatest show on turf" possible. Also a part of the successful mid-90's Packer line.

Guest Vitamin X

and I'm taking one more guy just for kicks, especially from the 1996 Packers team...

brown.jpg

DT/NT Gilbert Brown

Height: 6-2 Weight: 340 lbs.

This is a total homer pick, and I don't care. I needed a huge, run-stuffing guy to play in between the tackles, and this guy's peak during the Packers' better years in the 90's, he was a fucking force. He's a great nosetackle to have, and with the weirdness in size difference on my defensive line, I can rotate him out so he doesn't suffer a Super Bowl XXXII-like meltdown due to fatigue or anything.

Ha, I was wondering if the "Grave Digger" would get picked up in this thing. I was a little turned off by the fact he has no real numbers to speak of, but as far as fatass D-lineman who can take up space and deter running up the middle go, Big Gil's top of the line.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

As much as I have hated the Packers my entire life, I fucking love Gilbert Brown.

I considered drafting Gilbert and Fridge. I'll probably do that next year.

Guest Vitamin X
As much as I have hated the Packers my entire life, I fucking love Gilbert Brown.

I considered drafting Gilbert and Fridge. I'll probably do that next year.

Brown1.jpg

Fuck yeah. Dude had the Gilbert Burger as his claim to fame.

During the 1996 season, it became known that Brown would regularly order the "Gilbertburger" — a Double Whopper with extra everything, cut in half with extra cheese, no pickles — always obtained from the Oneida Street Burger King in Green Bay. Burger King even made it available for a short time as a promotion in the Green Bay/Milwaukee area Burger King restaurants.

It's been over 24 hours since the last pick which means time is up for Broward, jwest, and King.

CanadianChris pm'd his last pick to me.

KLeckoNYJ.jpg

Joe Klecko, Defensive Tackle

New York Jets 1977-1987

Indianapolis Colts 1988

And my last pick.

75520201.jpg

Tommy Davis, Punter

San Francisco 49ers 1959-1969

Guest Tzar Lysergic
While I'm sure whatifsports will find a happy medium based on raw numbers, I think it's too difficult to really imagine these teams facing each other with everyone playing relative to their own time. Yeah, thinking of modern D-lines matching up with 40's O-lines is one thing, but then throw in 90's receivers being guarded by 70's corners with linebackers spanning 40 years all playing out of 60's coach's playbook. Everything in football is so interdependent on other positions and matchups, there isn't really a perfect way to compare these teams to one another.

I PMed TOOG about the whatif sims, and he said that the football sim on there doesn't involve individual defensive players. Just by year and by team. Not sure there's a fair way to sim these teams against one another.

We should develop some kind of judging system..