TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

Desert Island Draft: Movie Edition

Hoop Dreams by Steve James

My all time favorite documentary.

mole going all "surprise, motherfuckers" and busting out the legitimately great movie on us. who saw that coming.

mallrats.jpg

Mallrats - Dir. Kevin Smith 1995

Yeah it may be most people's least favorite Kevin Smith movie, it was the one that introduced me to his films.

I notice that happens a lot. Seems like there's a trend where the only people who really love Mallrats are the ones who saw it before any of Smith's other films.

I also think people like it because it's easier to watch than any of his other films excluding JASBSB.

It's heartier and more drama as opposed to the more laid-back comedy of JSBSB and Mallrats. I actually felt that Mallrats was the best of his movies for the longest time simply based on it being the most easily enjoyable.

Mulholland Dr.

Sometimes, there's a buggy. How many drivers does a buggy have?

A film that I'll never get tired of. It's unique, smart, sexy, disturbing, challenging; I could go on. I'm surprised I had my choice of David Lynch movies.

i think lynch has enough movies that could reasonably be considered his "best" for everyone to be happy. i mean, i like 'mulholland drive' a lot, but i won't lose any sleep over not being able to pick it.

that "llorando" theater scene is priceless though. one of those gorgeous moments that can only happen once, because you're not expecting it at all.

i recently saw the 52-second short he made with the old lumiere camera some years back...he should try to shoot more stuff with that camera, because the flickery archaic look just made everything that much creepier.

Rebekah Del Rio's performance of "Llorando" is probably my favorite song as far as vocals ever. I'm picking her CD in the Album Draft just for that song.

True Romance - Tony Scott

true-romance-1993-poster.jpg

It's violent and sexy with great performances from Walken, Slater, Hopper, Arquette... one of my top five favorite movies, I only let it slip this far because I thought it would still be here... lucky for me it was. The Walken-Hopper "Eggplant" speech is one of my favorite scenes in a movie. Oh yeah, GREAT score by Hans Zimmer. My favorite in a movie. Also, Tarantino wrote it. Plus, Val Kilmer plays Elvis and Gary Oldman plays a white gangster who acts black and says "Titty-balls."

Pretty great movie.

once-poster-0.jpg

Once

Despite my dislike of musicals, this is a great fucking movie. Good performances from two non-actors, a romantic pairing that's not a romantic pairing, and very probably the best musical number in any movie I've seen. I saw the movie before everybody was raving about "Falling Slowly" so I hadn't heard about how great it was, which made the scene just powerful stuff. And it's the best song of the movie, but the rest of the music isn't a bunch of filler around the one big number. Marketa's solo number is good, the song by Interference is a nice folksy number, and "Broken Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy" is a damn fun song for something that was put together in like thirty seconds. It was barely edged out for my pick for best movie of 2007, but it's hands down my favorite musical and it's definately something I'd want on my island.

Third vote here for the Lloooraaanndo Sequence in Mulhollnad Drive. For whatever reason, that bit smacked me in the face and very nearly made me cry. Which is terribly odd, considering that 1.I haven't cried during any movie in like a decade, and 2.I couldn't explain why it was so moving. I have no idea. It just was.

And even worse, you just know it's gonna collect dust while he watches his Desert Island Veronica Mars DVDs.

I actually forgot I owned it until last week. I loved every second of it again.

spinaltap.jpg

This Is Spinal Tap - Rob Reiner - 1984

A classic comedy/musical that I'm surprised hasn't been snagged yet. It's become entirely cliche to use the phrase "we go to 11," and the "lost backstage" section has been parodied by other movies and even professional wrestling (Chris Jericho used it in one of his more popular backstage segments in WCW). And come on: who here that has played a few live shows in a band hasn't had a true Spinal Tap moment? It perfectly satired aging rockstars, and also nailed the general lack of substance that was rampant throughout 80's hair bands. Plus, really, who doesn't love the songs? "Big Bottom," "Hell Hole," and "Stonehenge" are magnificent pieces of cheese.

looks like p.g.o.a.t.'s time has elapsed so i'll go ahead and pick...

bonnie_clyde_465x402.jpg

Bonnie_Clyde_Car.jpg

Bonnie and Clyde

almost impossible to describe the exact way that this movie's great and why it holds up so well, but it does.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I've performed "Hell Hole" live. Splendid movie, that one.

Need a lighthearted movie to balance out a very cynical collection, this is in my opinion, the inferior movie to the film selected earlier by someone else, but still very funny and they got some nudity if I need:

life_of_brian.jpg

Monty Python's Life of Brian (Jones and Gilliam) 1979

Oh damn I'm a little late

the-departed.jpg

The Departed

Of the Scorsese stuff that's left this is probably my favorite. A nasty, violent crime drama from the man who elevated the nasty, violent crime drama to the realm of high art. It's got a pretty okay cast, too.

a706186.jpg

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Love 80's John Hughes. This is my fave.

-----

Won't be around for the next few days. I sent my next couple of picks to Mole (TV draft too). That should keep things going smoothly.

Hmmm. Looking over my list, I've got plenty of stuff which is grim, depressing, and overall R-rated. Now, for the lighter side of being stranded on a desert island:

TheIncredibles_poster.jpg

The Incredibles

It's hard to pick the Best Pixar Film Ever, since just about all of them turn out to be so damned amazing, but I love me some superhero deconstruction, so this is probably my favorite. It's basically The Tick with a hundred million dollar budget. Especially worth noting is the cast; all the actors here do better, more three-dimensional work with just their voices than most performers do with their whole bodies.

I may as well finish off the original trilogy, I guess...I always thought this was the weakest of the three, but, hey, in the end it's still Indiana Jones:

G-164-161~Indiana-Jones-and-The-Temple-of-Doom-Posters.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

And I need a real comedy in here, so I'll go with my favourite Bill Murray movie...a very underrated film:

quick-change-794468.gif

Quick Change (1990)