TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epic Narcissism

A celebration of Jay Mariotti.

Guest Epic Narcissism

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-10...0,3903610.story

As you may have noticed through the years, I am the Blizzard's only critic in the Chicago media, mostly because my soft colleagues either fear Guillen's wrath, enjoy how he rips me, work for one of the Reinsdorf-controlled broadcast outlets or are afraid of getting on the chairman's bad side.

This is all true and you know it, especially the hackneyed idea that calling a sportswriter a fucking faggot in public is permissible when it's Jay Mariotti.

Fun times at the Sun-Times, as epic douche Rick Telander actually took a swing at ol' Jay. If your only exposure to Mariotti is as the loudmouthed foil to east coast sportswriters on a silly ESPN program, you probably hate the guy, but as the quotation illustrates, he's one of the only sportswriters in that town who has the balls to speak out against the White Sox, which in its current iteration is one of the most toxic organizations in sports history, as well as blasting the Cubs when necessary, which the Trib can't do for obvious reasons. When he tried his hand at sports radio, he had some of the best ratings in the market. He's a windbag, sure, but he's a windbag with results.

He's certainly better than Rick.

Who fills space by writing in one-sentence paragraphs.

If that.

Go check out some Mariotti stuff. Fuck what Deadspin tells you to think: he's much more compelling than most of the hacks in sportswriting today. Don't let the bastards bring you down, Jay, bring down the bastards, especially the ones headquartered in Bridgeport.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/99...i061108.article

Every sentence hits the bullseye, and nobody else can get away with it. Both sports talk stations are under Reinsdorf's editorial control, so you won't catch them saying "they got Vinny because the owner is a cheap bastard." Nobody else seems willing to get on his bad side. What a fine indictment, especially the gall of this franchise to charge top dollar for tickets and then hire a coach who has never held that job in his life. More than hats off.

I will never read his stuff because I so often disagree with not only his views on ATH, but how upset he gets when no one shares his view. His ilk rub me the wrong way.

I agree that the Del Negro hire is laughable, but I think you (and Mariotti) are a little too eager to ascribe that to Reinsdorf when the Profound Incompetence of John Paxson is just as likely a factor.

And the column you linked is almost unreadable, by the way. He spends about a third of the column crutching his argument on Vinnie Del Negro's name. "My Cousin Vinny", "Vinnie Barbarino", "Rose doesn't know Del Negro from Del Shannon", one masterstroke after another. And then he almost compromises his entire rant by posting a number of positive quotes about Del Negro from Steve Kerr at the end, just to muddle the waters even further.

Sometimes the delivery is just as important as the message. Jay Mariotti is one of the most toxic, apoplectic writers that the mainstream media has to offer today. He's like the kid in the Updike story about the three bikini-clad girls who get lectured in the grocery store for their attire; his outrage is completely designed to draw attention to himself and it is, more often than not, inversely proportional to the severity of the actual offense. He's a literary hemorrhoid, throbbing with an absurd sense of moral superiority and self-importance, but startlingly oblivious to the fact that he's still stuck on an asshole of culture (sports journalism).

I sometimes wonder why he's a sports columnist, when the majority of his columns and spiels on ATH are anti-athletes. He's spot-on occasionally, but the rest of the time, he just reminds of me a guy who's trying to parody how negative and generally buffoonish most sportswriters are.

Plus he looks like an ugly James Cagney.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-10...0,3903610.story

As you may have noticed through the years, I am the Blizzard's only critic in the Chicago media, mostly because my soft colleagues either fear Guillen's wrath, enjoy how he rips me, work for one of the Reinsdorf-controlled broadcast outlets or are afraid of getting on the chairman's bad side.

This is all true and you know it

I might if I lived in Chi City

Guest Epic Narcissism
He's like the kid in the Updike story about the three bikini-clad girls who get lectured in the grocery store for their attire; his outrage is completely designed to draw attention to himself and it is, more often than not, inversely proportional to the severity of the actual offense.

I read "A&P" my junior year of high school!

He's a literary hemorrhoid, throbbing with an absurd sense of moral superiority and self-importance

I'd hate to know what that makes his arch-rival Telander.

Guest Smues

This is now the 3rd time I've attempted to post in this thread. This morning I swear I did but I must have neglected to hit the post button, and just now I somehow managed to erase my entire post before posting it. Anyway, just because Mariotti does not like the White Sox does not mean that he does not suck. Of the ATH crew I can tolerate him (both on TV and in print) more than Bill Plasche, and that's about the only nice thing I have to say about him.

really though, fuck Jay Mariotti... he's the same kind of suck to the ones you're comparing him too, you just happen to find this blowhard's opinions a little more agreeable at times.