TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

ULTIMATE FOOD FIGHT IV

Guest Vitamin X

I think "fish" is really an oversimplification of it all, though. If you want to include say, all seafood in general, nothing chicken does can compare to some awesome sea scallops or a fresh lobster. If you ask the other question around, can you really compare a sexy lightly breaded, herb crusted trout with fatty ass, greasy fried chicken? No way dude. This is practically comparing apples and oranges.

And I have yet to hear a chicken equivalent to sushi yet. Again, it just goes further to prove this is a bad comparison to make. Maybe a better food fight would've been chicken vs. pig, or shellfish vs. fish fillets, etc.

Also I've been viewing this fight as solely fish (Trout, Halibut, etc) as opposed to all seafood.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, also..

Chicken without a doubt...the possibilities are endless with it.

What can you do with chicken that you can't do with fish?

Fish parmesan doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, for one...

parmesan_tilapia_6543.jpg

Parmesan crusted tilapia. Fucking delicious with a side of veggies.

Fish Parmigiana?

Fish Marsala?

Fish Francese?

General Tso's Fish?

You can sit around and watch the game with a big platter of buffalo wings. When was the last time you saw someone eating buffalo fins?

The list goes on. I like fish as much as the next guy, but chicken is much more versatile, so that would have to be my pick. Although of all seafood, I don't think crab is given nearly enough credit. Good crabmeat is, in my opinion, even better than lobster or steak.

Guest Vitamin X

I see people eating oysters with hot sauce or whathaveyou when watching football games. Definitely not as popular as wings, but there you have it.

I can argue this to kingdom come, considering I've eaten exclusively fish and fish-related products for the past year; only recently am I starting to take back a (very) limited intake of other meats, and that's usually only local farm-fresh, grass-fed, MIG (Managed Intensive Grazing) stuff.

Another point in the chicken-fish debate: The reason, IMO, there's more varieties of things you can do to chicken is because chicken is always going to taste like chicken. Salmon tastes entirely different from say, rainbow trout, and oysters, and crawfish, and halibut, and tuna. And then, with each one of those kinds of fish, there's different things you can do with them that gives them an entirely different flavor- grilling or barbecuing salmon as opposed to say, fried cod or halibut. As for the dishes...

Chicken and chips? (Sure you've got fried chicken, but they don't go with tartar sauce, good fries, and some beer on a hot summer day the same way)

Chicken shooters?

Chicken chowder?

Chicken sushi?

Crispy coconut chicken?

Not to say that these things don't work.. Much like you probably COULD make General Tso's Shrimp (which is actually pretty good- as is Kung Pao Shrimp), or Fish Parmigiana (which I just showed a good example of), or Fish Marsala and Fish Francese, but they won't be anywhere near as good with the chicken equivalents. The problem, the way I see it, is that all those dishes you named involve chicken playing with some sort of cheese- not a whole lot of fish go well with as many different kinds of cheeses as chicken, but the fish more than males up for it in the variety of the meat itself.

Fish Parmigiana?

Fish Marsala?

Fish Francese?

General Tso's Fish?

You can sit around and watch the game with a big platter of buffalo wings. When was the last time you saw someone eating buffalo fins?

The list goes on. I like fish as much as the next guy, but chicken is much more versatile, so that would have to be my pick. Although of all seafood, I don't think crab is given nearly enough credit. Good crabmeat is, in my opinion, even better than lobster or steak.

Chicken is bland and to reach any sort of level needs to be paired with a sauce or filling. But when you look at a piece of fish, before you say I can serve it with so and so sauce, you can marinate it, you can serve it sliced thin and raw (you could do both of the first two for a ceviche), you can cook it to wide variation of temperatures, you can cold smoke it or hot smoke it, you can barbeque it, etc. Some of those cooking styles come into play with chicken, but some don't, and that's before you get into specific seasoning. I can take a piece of sole, stuff it with king crab and shrimp and camembert. You think cordon bleu is good, that'll knock your socks off. Tilapia with a parmigiano crust doesn't need to be drenched in marinara. You can use soul or flounder for francese, which is a classic preparation. Chicken has a limited scope in that regard, as your going to need somethinng to mask it to get it the extra mile, whereas not just the variety in fish, but the fact that it loans itself to many different ways of cooking itself, make it a more valuable agreement. I'm not going to throw thirty herbs on my fried fish because I want to taste the salmon or cod. Whereas you taste chicken, which doesn't have much depth of flavor on its own, and you know what you're getting in terms of the meat no matter what the preparation. The sauce will be different, but the meat itself will not change too much. But you take some pieces of raw salmon. Cure one like gravlax. Cold smoke one like smoked salmon. Fry one on it's own. Bake another. Deep fry another. I'm not talking about seasoning it outside of salt and pepper, but in terms of testures and tastes, your going to get more out, and that's just salmon. Throw in the otoro of the tuna. Cured anchovies, which make wonderful bases for other sauces and dressings. Dried shrimp, if we head that direction, are the basis of many great Filipino dishes. Southeast asian cuisine cannot exist without fish sauce. Fried calamari. Shellfish boils. Grilled unagi. Chowder.

Guest Vitamin X

Chick0wned!

I think a lot of the bias towards chicken is the American bias of the board; American cuisine, and particularly a lot of fast foods and cheap eats (both of which are quite popular among TSM, if guys like JN "Pizza Hut needs its game face on" News are any indication) heavily revolve around chicken, and chicken-based products. I am not dissing the chicken here, but I think there's been a ton of fish dishes that people haven't tried and they're more likely then, as a result, to stick with what they're "comfortable" with, what they know. It's actually difficult to believe that of all the things that people say is superior to fish in terms of variety is chicken- come the fuck on! Chicken isn't even superior to pig; remember that Simpsons when Lisa says she's going to become a vegetarian and Homer's all like,"Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?" "No." "Ham?" "No!" "Pork chops?" "Dad, those all come from the same animal!" "Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal!"

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Fish is fuckin' magnificent. Collars! Cod cheeks!

Jonathon_ocean_cod.jpg

Sadly, that lovely beast in that size is becoming increasingly commercially rare.

Chicken is for people that can't cook, or can't decide if they want beef or fish.

Chicken is one of the lowest forms of poultry.

Guest Vitamin X
Just eat corndogs, who cares.

I'll have to thank you for this quote, Nighthawk. I found this quote to actually work for a variety of different situations way beyond this.

"I really want to finish this paper, but I don't know what to do"

"Just eat corndogs, who cares."

"I don't know what to do with [these two girls my friend was bitching about]."

"Just eat corndogs, who cares."

were two recent examples.