TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/30 - 7/6

The NL Central is a heck of a lot more interesting this year than I thought it would be. Cards are hanging in there and Sabathia might be just what the Crew needs to make a run.

Edit: Oh, Billy. Billy Billy Billy.

What a great day for me. Saw the Brewers beat up the Pirates today, found out my favorite player was voted in as a starter for the All Star Game, and now it looks like CC Sabathia is a Brewer. Good times.

It's quite appropriate that Blown Save Billy shits the bed on the day he's announced as the Mets sole representative on the AS team. He's one or two more devastating chokes away from reaching the rarified air of the lack of confidence we had when Mel Rojas, Braden Looper or Armando Benitez was the closer.

Let's check this a moment. Wagner hadn't given up a RUN since the last blown save on June 12. He got two strikes on Werth, and made ONE bad pitch. But he's a choker. Yeah.

Guest Smues

Yeah but surely there must not have been any CLUTCH situations during that near month long span. CHOKER!

From the Holy Crap department, IronPig Les Walrond struck out 17 Louisville hitters in a complete game shutout today. That is certainly the most by a Phillies' AAA starter since 1989, and maybe ever.

From the Holy Crap department, IronPig Les Walrond struck out 17 Louisville hitters in a complete game shutout today. That is certainly the most by a Phillies' AAA starter since 1989, and maybe ever.

I hope to God Czech doesn't see this.

I hope to God Czech doesn't see this.

Because of the IronPigs or the "my favorite team won a game" angle?

Yeah but surely there must not have been any CLUTCH situations during that near month long span. CHOKER!

He pitched 7 innings in 7 games, one of which came in a 9 run deficit, two outings were with 3 run leads, 3 others came with two run leads and he pitched one game with a one run lead. So he pitched in a grand total of one tight game since his last blown save, and blew another two run lead today against the division leading Mets' daddy Phillies. Wagner comes up small whenever the Mets NEED him to close out a win, and he loves to blow the few amazing performances our starters have given us with "unlucky" pitches.

He pitched 7 innings in 7 games, one of which came in a 9 run deficit, two outings were with 3 run leads, 3 others came with two run leads and he pitched one game with a one run lead. So he pitched in a grand total of one tight game since his last blown save, and blew another two run lead today against the division leading Mets' daddy Phillies. Wagner comes up small whenever the Mets NEED him to close out a win, and he loves to blow the few amazing performances our starters have given us with "unlucky" pitches.

How come those three games with two run leads don't count and this one does?

The problem is that fans have this mindset, usually with superstars but often with all closers, that they must come through in EVERY situation. Baseball is a competition. Across from the pitcher is a talented hitter, and vice versa. Jayson Werth is a very good hitter with a .500+ slugging percentage career against lefties.

Guest Smues
and he loves to blow the few amazing performances our starters have given us with "unlucky" pitches.

Yes I'm sure he really loves it. It just fills him with joy to lose games for his team.

Because of the IronPigs or the "my favorite team won a game" angle?

My favorite minor league team of my favorite team won a game!

Yeah, since when does Walrond not pitch within the Cubs' organization? Not that I'm mourning the loss of ol' Les.

The Brewers would have to be the clear-cut favorites in the NL if Gallardo weren't done of the year. As it is, I expect this will make the NL Central race much tighter, but I think the Cubs can hold off the Brewers. Milwaukee should get the WC, though.

How come those three games with two run leads don't count and this one does?

The problem is that fans have this mindset, usually with superstars but often with all closers, that they must come through in EVERY situation. Baseball is a competition. Across from the pitcher is a talented hitter, and vice versa. Jayson Werth is a very good hitter with a .500+ slugging percentage career against lefties.

Because Wagner doesn't routinely blow the rare one run lead he is asked to protect, although he's only 3 for 5 in converting those situations. We went through this same argument last month when you claimed he was "unlucky" when he blew 2, 3 and 2 run leads in three consecutive appearances. Getting tagged for a solo homer is unlucky if you throw a great pitch and the guy makes contact. Putting men on base and then giving up the game tying homer, double, whatever has nothing to do with a bad pitch, or a "tip your cap" moment to the hitter.

Im still trying to figure out how the Brewers got CC for as little as they gave up. This trade and Bedard's health problems this year makes the Mariners look like idiots.

1. Sabathia is a free agent after the season, while Bedard had two years left until free agency. The Brewers are guaranteed less than three months of Sabathia's services.

2. LaPorta has slugged .616 career in the minors. He's an elite hitting prospect, probably better than any individual player the O's got.

I'm waiting on doing an MLB draft until a later date. However, I'm interested in doing a sort of mini-draft on my blog. An All-Yankees draft. I'd want no more than six people for it, myself and five others. Only serious inquiries. Anyone interested?

Im still trying to figure out how the Brewers got CC for as little as they gave up. This trade and Bedard's health problems this year makes the Mariners look like idiots.

1. Sabathia is a free agent after the season, while Bedard had two years left until free agency. The Brewers are guaranteed less than three months of Sabathia's services.

2. LaPorta has slugged .616 career in the minors. He's an elite hitting prospect, probably better than any individual player the O's got.

Seattle is already considering trading Bedard now though. If they trade him with his health questions theres no way they get back anything close to what they gave up to get him and essentially they gave up a ton for a 5 month rental, a good portion of which hes been hurt. I doubt they will be able to trade him because its been said that he's still not 100% and probably wont be for the rest of the season unless he goes on another extended DL stint, which will probably happen anyway with them way out of contention.

We wont even see what Tillman brings to the table until 2010 at least and he was the 2nd key player in the trade behind Adam Jones, who is quietly growing into the CF position and hitting after a slow start. Not to mention George Sherill who turned out to be an All Star closer. And past that you still have the hoss Kam Mickolo who could step into the rotation next year and Tony Butler who I honestly dont know much about.

My point is though that Cleveland probably could have waited knowing they had the top pitcher available and gotten a better offer from a desperate team closer to the deadline.

Who is the next best pitcher available? The only name Ive heard thrown around is Daniel Cabrera and thats only because he's an Oriole. I for one hopes this means that a team gets desperate and trades for D-Cab and overpays for him. OUT THE DOOR SOLD! if that happens.

Oh, and I fully expect David Eckstein to be traded to the Orioles tomorrow since the Os are going to Toronto and it will be easier on both sides. Eckstein isn't the answer at SS but neither is Bynum or Fahey and at least Eckstein would be a veteran presence.

I'm waiting on doing an MLB draft until a later date. However, I'm interested in doing a sort of mini-draft on my blog. An All-Yankees draft. I'd want no more than six people for it, myself and five others. Only serious inquiries. Anyone interested?

I'd be up for it. Full 25-man roster, or just a subset?

LaPorta was the Brewer's best prospect. He was being looked at as probably Prince Fielder's successor, to give you an indication of his potential.

LaPorta was the Brewer's best prospect. He was being looked at as probably Prince Fielder's successor, to give you an indication of his potential.

They obviously will sign Fielder long term and that wont be a problem.

I went to Cooperstown today for the first time in 25 years. What an amazing place. So much history. I have a picture of me sitting on a set of seats from Shibe Park.

I picked up an awesome jersey there based on the Who's On First routine:

pdBJABC0001.jpg

except I went with jersey #2 (WHAT).

Guest Smues

I hate the Yankess, but count me in. Would probably be good for me to have to research the team and see just how much talent has gone through New York.