TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WWE SummerSlam 2008

SummerSlam 2002 is one of those shows that has plenty of solid wrestling on it....and I don't like it for shit. I hated Lesnar's push, didn't care for the angle that led to HBK/HHH, thought it was puzzling that Jericho would tap to the Figure 4, etc. In fact I enjoyed the 2001 show a lot more.

Hell, with 2002 there was a better RVD/Benoit match on Raw than at the PPV. Eddie and Edge had better matches on SD that year than the misfire at SS, where Edge blatantly no sold the shoulder Eddie had worked for most of the match.

Not that it means much since people weren't expecting Foley anyway, but.....

--Another note on tonight's show. Mick Foley was originally scheduled to play a part in the Hell in a Cell match as the 10th anniversary of what is probably one of the more famous matches now in wrestling history. He was told during the week that there was a change in plans and he wasn't needed. Foley's "injuries" from Edge a few weeks ago on Smackdown now constitute his being written out as a character. (www.wrestlingobserver.com)

I'm guessing Foley probably was going to take some crazy bump, more than likely. This could still just be a swerve and he'll be there, but it seems highly doubtful. It's possible they have someone else taking some big bump, like Vicki (doubtful) or Hawkins/Ryder, but who knows. I expect something significant here for a big memorable moment, even if its an uber protected big bump, ala Rikishi back in 99.

And as some have already thrown out there, I'm calling an Orton run-in during Cena/Batista, and a faint chance Batista turns heel in that match by joining up with Orton. Recall there was teasing from an Orton conversation with Batista that they should join up, right before he went down with the injury. I am pretty sure that Orton "accident" was total bullshit to try to swerve the audience for an appearence on this show. Time will tell I guess.

Damn.

With all the talk of Foley leaving WWE because of his beatdown, I called Foley being involved in the HIAC match, but didn't say anything in case i'd be laughed at.

I also think we'll never see Rey Mysterio in WWE again but he's advertised all over the Summerslam, er, advertising.

SummerSlam 2002 is one of those shows that has plenty of solid wrestling on it....and I don't like it for shit. I hated Lesnar's push, didn't care for the angle that led to HBK/HHH, thought it was puzzling that Jericho would tap to the Figure 4, etc. In fact I enjoyed the 2001 show a lot more.

Hell, with 2002 there was a better RVD/Benoit match on Raw than at the PPV. Eddie and Edge had better matches on SD that year than the misfire at SS, where Edge blatantly no sold the shoulder Eddie had worked for most of the match.

Then again what do you like...

bethphoenixicchampej0.jpg

WWE.Com sent this picture out in its newsletter e-mail today, but a look at the side plates show that it's the Women's Title photoshopped to look like the IC title.

Hardy hasnt wrestled at Summerslam since 2001? interesting

So, I guess he wasn't on the card for some reason in 2002. He was let go by WWE in 2003, but was back in time for SummerSlam 2006. Was he suspended or injured for the '06 and '07 events?

EDIT: Looks like he came back to WWE before SummerSlam '06, but didn't re-debut until after it.

Hardy hasnt wrestled at Summerslam since 2001? interesting

So, I guess he wasn't on the card for some reason in 2002. He was let go by WWE in 2003, but was back in time for SummerSlam 2006. Was he suspended or injured for the '06 and '07 events?

EDIT: Looks like he came back to WWE before SummerSlam '06, but didn't re-debut until after it.

They already had a card in place by the time that he returned in '06, and he was, indeed, serving a suspension this time last year.

That was a strong opener, that feud can keep going for all I care, I think they got a few more good matches still to go with each other.

Also, I think they should have MVP and Shelton join up as an alliance that tags here and there, call them the Money Players. They got a similar gimmick anyway, why not.

Damn, that entrance stage is swanky. Best stage setup they've done ever, barring some of the WrestleManias.

Winner takes all -

Beth pins Kofi, decides she wants to be IC Champion and then gives Santino the women's title..

then Andy Kaufman comes out of hiding to beat up Santino tomorrow night on RAW.

I wonder if Santino uses his new finishing move tonight maybe?

I swear to god I get sick of Kofi Kingston only because Michael Cole can't restrain himself from mentioning his CONTROLLED FRENZY in the most monotonous voice he can muster.

I swear to god I get sick of Kofi Kingston only because Michael Cole can't restrain himself from mentioning his CONTROLLED FRENZY in the most monotonous voice he can muster.

Mike Adamle needs to be out there for Kofi matches.

That visual of Santino on Beth's shoulders was great. Should make for interesting TV as those two playing the "power couple" kind of role even more, now.

I was hoping she'd drop him and he'd get a broken neck.

I was hoping she'd just give him an electric chair and take both belts.