TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Cucaracha

Discussion: Marketing WWE PPVs

They talked about making Cyber Sunday/Taboo Tuesday into a USA/SNME Special last year and they should've done that this year. It'd fit right into the quartly 3 Hour Raws they do and serve a chance to build to Survivor Series by having unique matches and using the popular voting mechanism that fans liked but without asking fans to fork over money to see what they asked to see.

ONS has found its niche as the gimmick PPV, so it's a decent PPV attraction with the right matches (which is the case for all events except WM/Rumble).

Since my comment was the one that got this thread started, I'm gonna give my two cents:

It's only been a mere three weeks since Summerslam, three weeks after HBK announced his "retirement" and three weeks since Jericho going over the World Champion in his hometown. Since this PPV is flooded with the Scramble matches, it would have just been easier to have those sell the PPV since in they keep saying in the hype videos that "A new champion is guaranteed". HBK/Jericho is the hottest fued in the company right now and shouldn't take a backseat to new gimmick matches esepcially when 3 of those said matches are happening in the same night. What they SHOULD have done is added Jericho in the Raw scramble when Cena went down, have Punk retain and put him in a mini fued with Jericho going into No Mercy in which HBK costs Jericho the match and have them go into Survior Series in a "3 Stages Of Hell" blow-ff. That way, HBK can still sell his "retirement", can really get inside Jericho's head by screwing him over when his game was at an all time high and Jericho's win over Punk on Raw won't be wasted to make him look weak (hell if they still wanted Mysterio to be a part of this, he could have interfered and helped take out Kane). Survivor Series is a PPV that's marketed as having the traditional team elimination matches as well as big time gimmick matches (HIAC last year, first Elimination chamber in 2002, Ambulance and Buried Alive in '03, etc.).

But back in topic, if WWE wants to keep these Scrambles as an exclusive to the Unforgiven PPV then that's fine with me. It sets it aside from PPV's like No Mercy and Armageddon.