TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

TSM QUESTIONS YOUR LOYALTY

I'm not worried about anything. All I'm saying is, you just described an emotionally invested history you have with the team that you'll just leave because they draft a scrambler. That's pretty lame.

Once again, it isn't going to happen. So it's a moot point.

It's not a moot point at all. The fact that you would ditch your beloved football team because they signed a scrambling QB is just idiotic and shows that in the end, you're not a true fan.

Regarding 909's point-

I didn't even know people took US soccer seriously enough that it has rivalries. If your team signed a Mexican player, you could be angry and still not like the guy, but you should still root for the team.

I admit that I dropped the Knicks when they traded Ewing. My Knicks fandom had been slowly declining, and seeing how they treated their franchise player and one of the greatest to wear the uniform disgusted me, and I realised I could never get emotionally attached to them again. They were dead to me for all I cared. So I became a Nets fan and have been so ever since and will continue to be one. I didn't watch them a lot last year b/c of Memphis, but I still get emotionally invested into their games.

I would still root for the team, but I would never root for the player. US soccer fans take their rivalry with Mexico very seriously. It's the only rivalry we've got. When we hold games against Mexico in cities without a large Mexican population, the stadium is always sold out.

It's almost like the same situation with teammates. You don't have to like each other to support each other. I really dislike Jared Jeffries. Not because he's a bad person, but because he doesn't know how to play basketball. But I want him to do well.

If the player performs, I end up becoming a fan. So I didn't have to start liking Peca and Blake. Or Glavine.

Then you're not loyal to yourself. I'm more loyal to myself than a sports team. I know what I like. I know what I don't. Simple as that. If you don't understand, then that's fine. That's the beauty of sports. There's many things you can like and many things you don't have to like, and it all works out in the end.

I guess under some of you guys' harebrained criteria, the only team I'm truly a fan of is USC.

The player is not the team. Doesn't mean you aren't loyal to yourself. This is the same shitty mentality teachers have when one student screws up. Everyone gets in trouble. That used to be bullshit. Just cause I don't like one player doesn't mean it has to bring the whole organization down. I support the team utmost.

If the organization supports a player I can't support, then how can I support that organization? Suppose Rae Carruth came out of jail and Michael Vick came out of jail, and the Jets signed both. How can you support a team with two bonafide criminals on it? Same concept. I can't support a team that supports something I immensely dislike. Call me disloyal if you'd like, I call it being true to my beliefs.

I'd still support Vick to win games, doesn't mean I have to like him as a person. And you're comparing a killer (Rae Carruth) to you not liking scramblers? There's a huge difference. Signing a bunch of criminals is way different than disliking a person or the style he plays. I never said you can't stop rooting for a team, but your reason sucks.

I'd still support Vick to win games, doesn't mean I have to like him as a person. And you're comparing a killer (Rae Carruth) to you not liking scramblers? There's a huge difference. Signing a bunch of criminals is way different than disliking a person or the style he plays. I never said you can't stop rooting for a team, but your reason sucks.

Oh so you'd sacrifice personal beliefs just for a win? Gotcha.

If the organization supports a player I can't support, then how can I support that organization? Suppose Rae Carruth came out of jail and Michael Vick came out of jail, and the Jets signed both. How can you support a team with two bonafide criminals on it? Same concept. I can't support a team that supports something I immensely dislike. Call me disloyal if you'd like, I call it being true to my beliefs.

Comapring two men in federal prison to a scrambling QB is not a valid comparison.

Then explain it to me. You're saying I'd sacrifice my beliefs for wins. Okay. What Michael Vick did was wrong, but I don't think what Vick did was OMG UNFORGIVABLE, like what Rae Carruth did, so I wouldn't have a big problem rooting for Michael Vick if he signed with the team I root for. Carruth is a different story. So where am I sacrificing my beliefs for wins? I already said I'd root for someone I don't like. Where you referring to yourself not sacrificing belief for wins, which in your case is a lame BELIEF of scrambling quarterbacks? What's the point?

Nevermind all that. Zoo helped me see the point more clearly in AIM. Yeah chalk this up as me being an idiot, I suppose. Sorry to waste everyone's time.

edit: To clarify, see, I had a certain strong belief that quarterbacks only pass, not run. But since I am an offensive coordinator for a local high school team, I run a certain set of gimmick plays, and it pisses the other coaches off in the league. Well I just realized I sounded like those coaches. So, yes I'd still hate it if the Bears hired a scrambler, but I have to let them do it, if they really believed it meant success for the team.

Porter= Hypocritical, bad at debates and prone to overreactions.

I thought the rule was you can't like two teams that run in direct conflict with each other (ie: Matt Young liking White Sox AND Cubs) but beyond that, it was ok? The Bears are in the NFC, the Raiders in the AFC. I don't see what's wrong with that. And obviously everyone is going to prefer one team over the other (Bears here). Especially when you are in a situation where you live halfway across the fuckin' country and find it hard to follow your true favorite team. Here I get maybe 4 times more Raiders games than I do Bears. Are you telling me I'm not allowed to express a sense of admiration for the Raiders when I see them nearly every Sunday as opposed to waiting for whenever SNF/MNF/national game of the week that doesn't interfere with the local interests to see Bears?

Go to a fuckin bar and watch their games. In this day and age, with so many available places that have sunday ticket, "I can't find my team's games" is no longer a vaild excuse. Hell, I HATE the local team with a passion, because they always take up on spot on regular TV. It's fucking annoying to know that no matter what, I'm gonna be stuck with the damn Panthers' games at my house.

I think it's possible...I'll support a team on a one-off occassion if my team isn't there. I rooted for the Giants in the Superbowl. Rooted for the Celtics because I hate the Lakers and I like Garnett.

Guest Vitamin X

Funny thing regarding all that: I've been going to a sports bar to catch Packer games (at 9 in the fucking morning on Sundays no less- I'm more committed to the Packers than I am to God, which I guess is kind of obvious) since I was about 14, 15 years old. I never ordered alcohol, I'd just get a coke and then a burrito or an omelette or some fries or wings and be cool with that. There were a lot of local restaurants that had the games, I just could never sit at the bar until I was 21, obviously. Anyways, when I was in Miami, I went to this place called Duffy's all the time and there were a couple of exiled Wisconsinites there all the time watching the Packer games with me and this wacko from Appleton who was really amusing because he would faux-curse at the TV very loudly. One guy always brought his kid there to watch the games with him, and sometimes the rest of the folks would tag along. I could tell the dad and kid had a good relationship, probably from doing this every Sunday as sort of a male bonding thing.

I probably would do the same thing with my kids- I know all my long-term girlfriends at one point or another got used to me and "Packer Time" and a couple of them watched a lot of the games with me. I don't see what's so wrong with that.

Guest Vitamin X
VX, do you ever go to the Cheerful Tortoise for Packers games? It always seems like there is a decent sized group of Green Bay fans there.

Cheech, that's the bar I referenced earlier in this thread. There's a couple other bars around downtown I could go to, but Cheerful is very nice for Sunday games. Relatively spare with people (certainly in comparison to the other days that week) and a fun atmosphere, cheap food and drink. If you ever go there on a day the Packers are playing and you see some short haired guy with a Favre jersey (now it has Flake taped over the name) getting animated with the TV, and flirting occasionally with this one bartender named Lisa, that's me.

Funny thing regarding all that: I've been going to a sports bar to catch Packer games (at 9 in the fucking morning on Sundays no less- I'm more committed to the Packers than I am to God, which I guess is kind of obvious) since I was about 14, 15 years old. I never ordered alcohol, I'd just get a coke and then a burrito or an omelette or some fries or wings and be cool with that. There were a lot of local restaurants that had the games, I just could never sit at the bar until I was 21, obviously. Anyways, when I was in Miami, I went to this place called Duffy's all the time and there were a couple of exiled Wisconsinites there all the time watching the Packer games with me and this wacko from Appleton who was really amusing because he would faux-curse at the TV very loudly. One guy always brought his kid there to watch the games with him, and sometimes the rest of the folks would tag along. I could tell the dad and kid had a good relationship, probably from doing this every Sunday as sort of a male bonding thing.

I probably would do the same thing with my kids- I know all my long-term girlfriends at one point or another got used to me and "Packer Time" and a couple of them watched a lot of the games with me. I don't see what's so wrong with that.

I met a woman at my gym who invited me to a Packers fan club at some bar and grill in Hemet. I've got to check that out.

I get so nervous watching the Saints on TV and I have my own pre, in-game and post-game rituals, that I wouldn't enjoy watching it with other people or in a bar. If they're not on, I enjoy tracking the game on my computer.