TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 9/25 - 9/27

As a lifelong Alabama fan, an alumnus of the University, and someone who absolutely hates Georgia...

I

AM

LOVING

THIS!!!

As someone who rarely posts during my sports teams' games, I think I have to here and I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

In case you guys haven't got the tasteless drunken joke that usually spreads (via text message) through T-Town at a time like this, allow me to inform you that Bama kills more Dawgs than Michael Vick. I'll admit to laughing but goddamn.

Yeah, the Tide will be #2. I'm expecting a year eerily similar to 1999 and hoping for a better ending.

Guest Smues
Washington St. (Have they done anything since they played in the Rose Bowl a decade ago?)

No, I think they made a bowl game the following season (and their last Rose Bowl was 5 or so years ago) but that was it. That season they lost the Rose Bowl to OU was pretty much the end of relevance for both UW and WSU.

Bear in mind that after the 02 Rose Bowl was also when Mike Price (who made them a short-term relevant program to begin with) left

New Coaches Poll

No surprise Oklahoma is #1 but Alabama only gets to #4 behind LSU and Missouri. Penn State jumps to #6, BYU had a great practice this week as they jump to #7 and are in fantastic shape to make the MNC, USC only drops to #9 so they are still alive, Georgia to #10, and Florida to #13.

In the AP poll Alabama did jump to #2 but it doesn't count.

Wow, No. 1 for the first time in 5 years. However, the schedule looks murderous down the road so I can't get too excited.

Having Bradford at QB makes it much easier though.

I read on ESPN's boards where they were saying OU couldn't run the ball. Excuse me? One game where they couldn't get it done against the No. 1 defense means they can't run despite the fact they ran it all over the place in their first three games? Ok.....whatever.

Looking at 'Bama's schedule it looks like they may be undefeated going into their showdown with LSU. If LSU is undefeated that game will be huge.

Wow, No. 1 for the first time in 5 years. However, the schedule looks murderous down the road so I can't get too excited.

Seriously? The Sooners get to skip Missouri and they get both Kansas and Texas Tech at home. I know the Big XII's tougher than it has been, but I don't think there's a team in the conference whose schedule sets up better than Oklahoma's. The neutral site game with Texas is looking a little tougher than it did before the season started, but if they get through that, the Sooners should be 12-0 going into the Big XII championship. Not saying they will be, they could easily drop the Bedlam game or something, but there's not one game on that schedule that the Sooners lose if they bring their A game.

Guest Smues
Bear in mind that after the 02 Rose Bowl was also when Mike Price (who made them a short-term relevant program to begin with) left

Oh believe me I remember that oh so well. He announced he was leaving BEFORE the Rose Bowl, which kind of fucked over the team, and they went on to play like shit. And then to make it oh so much better he got fired before he even signed the contract at Alabama. I was flying high that spring until Neuheisel got fired.

Didn't we just get done saying the same thing about Florida and their conference schedule? Oklahoma's far from a lock to make it through the Big 12 unscathed (don't forget about that OK St. game too).

Seriously? The Sooners get to skip Missouri and they get both Kansas and Texas Tech at home. I know the Big XII's tougher than it has been, but I don't think there's a team in the conference whose schedule sets up better than Oklahoma's. The neutral site game with Texas is looking a little tougher than it did before the season started, but if they get through that, the Sooners should be 12-0 going into the Big XII championship. Not saying they will be, they could easily drop the Bedlam game or something, but there's not one game on that schedule that the Sooners lose if they bring their A game.

The Big 12 title game is a virtual home-game for Mizzou. OU's secondary has proven to be vunerable, so Daniel could have a good day against them. And their kick-return coverage is just shit so Maclin could eat them up there.

And the RRS against Texas does have me really worried.

Preseason polls had LSU ranked higher and God forbid we make sensible adjustments to the rankings instead of just sliding teams up based on who lost above them. When Alabama finally loses I wouldn't be shocked if Georgia ended up ahead of them unless they lose a second game in the meantime.

I see what you're saying, but on the other hand you can kind of understand a team as young as USC getting sloppy on the road immediately after winning their biggest game of the season. Georgia was as motivated as they could be at home against Bama and they still got absolutely smoked. Also, it's not just the losses you have to look at. USC still has that 32 point win over Ohio State. Georgia's best win is against either Arizona State or South Carolina.

FWIW, here's Sagarin's Top 10 which still includes preseason rankings somewhat but is on the whole, pretty objective.

1. Alabama

2. Oklahoma

3. USC

4. Penn State

5. Texas

6. Boise State

7. LSU

8. BYU

9. Georgia

10. Utah

I see what you're saying, but on the other hand you can kind of understand a team as young as USC getting sloppy on the road immediately after winning their biggest game of the season. Georgia was as motivated as they could be at home against Bama and they still got absolutely smoked. Also, it's not just the losses you have to look at. USC still has that 32 point win over Ohio State. Georgia's best win is against either Arizona State or South Carolina.

FWIW, here's Sagarin's Top 10 which still includes preseason rankings somewhat but is on the whole, pretty objective.

1. Alabama

2. Oklahoma

3. USC

4. Penn State

5. Texas

6. Boise State

7. LSU

8. BYU

9. Georgia

10. Utah

A WAC team and two MWC teams in the Top Ten, that's just surreal.