TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
garfieldsnose

Bose Wave Radio Systems

I apologize if there is a thread dealing with this already, but I searched and couldn't find one for my topic. I am looking into getting a Bose Wave Radio that I can set in front of my television and listen to AM and FM radio during the nighttime when I'm home. During national sports games, I can listen to the local announcers from the radio instead of going online to listen to the live stream. I also like to listen to NPR every day. That's pretty much what I am shooting for. However, the AM reception for my alarm clock and my iHome are not good at all in my room, even the FM isn't great. I found a system online for as low as $349, but that doesn't include shipping and handling. My uncle has one but hasn't really helped me out on the matter since we're not really close. I don't think my tv, computer, or other devices interfere because I shut them all off and unplugged them and I still had bad reception with nothing but static. Is Bose the way to go for what I need it for? Or is there a cheaper solution, where I don't have to worry about the AM reception? All I really need is a AM/FM radio with good-great reception in my room, but nothing has worked.

I agree with Baron and Cheech. As awesome as Bose sound, I think a surround sound system with an amplified antennae would better solve your problem. Even if you heed this advice, have a listen to a Bose if you have the opportunity (even if you don't buy one).

Realistically, a set of speakers with an amplified am/fm tuner would be cheaper than a Bose.

The Wave Radio is nice, but pretty pricey compared to other options (and this is coming from someone who worked at a Bose store for a couple years). The reception on the radio won't be better or worse than any other decent AM/FM radio either.

If you already have an antenna, have you tried putting it in a window, or even outside? That's the only real way to overcome reception issues. Also, is this in a house or apartment? If it's in an apartment building, you're going to get tons of RF interference.

Don't ever waste your money on any kind of Bose. They are a waste of money and are no where near as good as people make them out to be.

Notice when you go into a Circuit City or a Best Buy, Bose shit is NO WHERE near the other audio stuff? They don't want to be compared.

Don't bother.

Notice when you go into a Circuit City or a Best Buy, Bose shit is NO WHERE near the other audio stuff? They don't want to be compared.

This is true. They very strictly control their product, and how it is sold. Don't bother shopping around for a good price on their stuff either...it's priced the same at basically every single retailer. Only way to get them cheaper is buy used, on the internet, or at one of their own retail stores (they sometimes sell "factory renewed" product which are usually only 10-20% off). Bose basically operates unlike any other audio company...they advertise way more (TV, radio, newsapers), and have created this aura of being a high demand, high value product. If you like their products, great, but you'll pay more for it than for other comparable stuff from lesser known companies.

They also don't publish any specs on their speakers...to a point, I get why (they claim they want you to buy it for the sound as you hear it, and not a set of numbers on paper), but if you are trying to find out some specific info on one of their systems, it's pretty irritating.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I had a pair of Bose nose-reduction headphones and they actually made the problem worse, far as I could tell. I lost them. Whatevz!

nose-reduction headphones

Jeez man how self-conscious about your appearance are you???

And it made the problem worse? I hope you kept your receipt, bro.