Nintendo Unveils the DSi

http://kotaku.com/5057883/lets-compare-the...ite-and-the-dsi

Size of Liquid Crystal Display

Nintendo DSi: 3.25 inches

Nintendo DS Lite: 3 inches • Liquid Crystal Screen

Nintendo DSi: Possible to display 260,000 colors

Nintendo DS Lite: Possible to display 260,000 colors

• Portable Size

Nintendo DSi: Width 137mm, Length 74.9mm, Thickness 18.9mm (touch pen is approx. 92mm in length)

Nintendo DS Lite: Width 133mm, Length 73.9mm, Thickness 21.5mm (touch pen is approx. 87.5mm in length)

• Power Supply

Nintendo DSi: AC adaptor for Nintendo DSi

Nintendo DS Lite: AC adaptor for DS Lite

• Weight

Nintendo DSi: Approx. 214g (with touch pen)

Nintendo DS Lite: Approx. 218g (with touch pen, Game Boy Advance cover)

• Charging Time

Nintendo DSi: Approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes

Nintendo DS Lite: Approx. 3 hours

• Battery Life

Nintendo DSi: The lowest brightness (9-14 hrs), low brightness (8-12 hours), medium brightness (6-9 hours), high brightness (4-6 hours), highest brightness(3-4 hours)

Nintendo DS Lite: The lowest brightness (15-19 hrs), low brightness (10-15 hours), high brightness (7-11 hours), highest brightness(5-8 hours)

• Software

Nintendo DSi: Software for Nintendo DS, Software for Nintendo DSi.

Nintendo DS Lite: Software for Nintendo DS, Software for Game Boy Advance

• Input-Output

Nintendo DSi: DS card slot, SD memory card slot, AC adaptor connection, stereo headphone/mic jack

Nintendo DS Lite: DS card slot, Game Boy Advance cartridge slot, AC adaptor connection, stereo headphone/mic jack

The biggest addition is the camera and the slightly larger screen. However, it comes at the expense of battery life and the GBA cartridge port, so I'm going to pass on this one myself.

Although if you haven't gotten a DS already or already have a perfectly good GBA SP--there ya go.

I want. I really really want it. Was there any word on an American date? I'm thinking Holiday 2008 if anything.

I want. I really really want it. Was there any word on an American date? I'm thinking Holiday 2008 if anything.

Nope. Nov 1 for Japan right now. "Well into" 2009 for other regions.

EDIT: for updated info

November in Japan, '09 everywhere else.

Andrew, you forgot to mention the SD slot and the app store.

Well, the SD was in the i/o specs. I assume there isn't a separate SD slot, and it's just a modified version of the existing DS card slot (I haven't seen a close up side view).

I haven't read up on the app store. Got a good article (since I'm typing this in between breaks at class. :P)?

Guest Smues

so here's my question, outside of whatever is in the app store, will there be any cartridge games released that will only work on the DSi and not the normal DS? Because otherwise I'm not interested in less battery life. And Hell maybe the DSI release will drop the price of the DS light and I'll upgrade to that finally.

And Hell maybe the DSI release will drop the price of the DS light and I'll upgrade to that finally.

The DSi is expected to cost more than the current Lite ($180ish in Japan right now--but then again, weak dollar, so hard to tell), so I wouldn't bet on it.

App store is apparently just Brain Age for now:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/liveblog-ninten.html

I'm curious what's storage method for that. Internal storage, SD cards, what?

Reggie just said that they see the DSi as a "third platform" with DS and Wii.

Yeah, just like the DS was a "third platform" with GBA and GameCube.

Guest Smues
And Hell maybe the DSI release will drop the price of the DS light and I'll upgrade to that finally.

The DSi is expected to cost more than the current Lite ($180ish in Japan right now--but then again, weak dollar, so hard to tell), so I wouldn't bet on it.

App store is apparently just Brain Age for now:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/liveblog-ninten.html

I'm curious what's storage method for that. Internal storage, SD cards, what?

• Input-Output

Nintendo DSi: DS card slot, SD memory card slot, AC adaptor connection, stereo headphone/mic jack

• Input-Output

I know it is an available storage method, but I'm not sure if its used for apps/if it has to be used for apps. Remember, they're putting a camera in it too, and you could store game demos in memory when the original DS and DS Lite were powered on.

• Input-Output

I know it is an available storage method, but I'm not sure if its used for apps/if it has to be used for apps. Remember, they're putting a camera in it too, and you could store game demos in memory when the original DS and DS Lite were powered on.

Already confirmed, SD memory will be used for apps from the DS Store. There is built in storage as well.

So since Nintendo is taking out the GBA slot does this mean they're done producing GBA games? Actually has Nintendo even made any new GBA games recently?

so here's my question, outside of whatever is in the app store, will there be any cartridge games released that will only work on the DSi and not the normal DS?

Yes. This is already comfirned to be the case, that there are a new class of games that will only work on the DSi. Because the DSi has two touchscreens.

There were a few GBA games released in '07, but none in '08. It's dead.

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5379721

It's funny to see Jeremy Parish, just like everyone else associated with 1up and EGM (except John Davison, who no longer works there) getting all butthurt about Nintendo turning their back on REAL GAMERS because they removed the GBA slot hardly anyone used at the same time they announced a slate of hardcore Japanese games for their system. Pick your battles, doggy.

The one thing bad about no GBA slot for DSi

...people who bought Guitar Hero: On Tour can't play it on the DSi.

Unless they release something that makes the game wireless, but I doubt they will.

There were a few GBA games released in '07, but none in '08. It's dead.

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5379721

It's funny to see Jeremy Parish, just like everyone else associated with 1up and EGM (except John Davison, who no longer works there) getting all butthurt about Nintendo turning their back on REAL GAMERS because they removed the GBA slot hardly anyone used at the same time they announced a slate of hardcore Japanese games for their system. Pick your battles, doggy.

I don't even see the distinction between Game Boy and DS. It's a portable Nintendo system, and if it were called Game Boy Dual Screen from the start, I don't know if that article would have been written.

butthurt

I fail to see how this fits the context at all. It's more of a historical note than anything. To me it seems to be another NeoGAF meme people toss around anytime someone notes something that could be considered a minor inconvenience.

GBA slot hardly anyone used

Really now? Incidentally, when did you get your DS (if you have one)? The DS' game lineup was pretty much total crap until Canvas Curse. The GBA slot helped urge on early adoption. Could you imagine having nothing to play on that thing early on except stuff like Zoo Keeper, Feel the Magic, and tragically terrible-controlling titles like Mario 64 DS and Rayman? The DS also extended the lifespan of the GBA platform.

Also--the GBA slot was used for the rumble pack and some other accessories (including unauthorized ones, i.e. flash carts with ROMs).

I don't even see the distinction between Game Boy and DS. It's a portable Nintendo system, and if it were called Game Boy Dual Screen from the start, I don't know if that article would have been written.

It has no direct compatibility with any cartridges from the Game Boy line. GB games played on GBC. GB/GBC games played on GBA. If there was a "Game Boy DS", there would have been expections that it would have played all of the previous "Game Boy" line titles (the GBA slot, in all honesty, was a crutch for the DS in its early days of meager and highly unimpressive lineup of titles).

There's been similar annoyance with regards to Sony's treatment of backwards compatibility with the PS3. If they actually changed the product name (and not made explicit pledge that they considered BC to be important) this round, people wouldn't actually care as much. However, Sony DID RELEASE PS3s WITH FULL BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY...and now...they're not. They half-assed the BC. They claim it was a cost-cutting measure, but I don't know anybody who actually believes it. I believe it was because the PS2 was still way too vibrant a platform to shrink into the sunset and allow PS3 adoption rates to boom. Granted, there's a lot of other reasons why PS3s didn't fly off shelves except to Ebay speculators, but business is business.

Nintendo is also participating in some somewhat deceptive marketing here. DSi...not a DS2, but a DSi. If it were a full blown evolution of the DS (DS2), we'd expect it to support all the old DS games plus its own. However, it's not a DS2. It's still a regular ol' DS with new features; at most, it's maybe an overclocked DS. So one expects it to support all the features of the original DS. The Lite offered no functional sacrifices from the Phatty, really. The DSi offers sacrifices in battery life, GBA compatibility, and all accessories/features that used that slot. Iwata is trying to position this as a next-gen DS, but that argument--and the system's performance specs--doesn't really make any sense.

tl;dr version: if you make major changes in a new system's features, change the name and maybe the look. Nintendo didn't, and it looks way too much like the DS Lite.

GBA slot hardly anyone used

Really now? Incidentally, when did you get your DS (if you have one)? The DS' game lineup was pretty much total crap until Canvas Curse. The GBA slot helped urge on early adoption. Could you imagine having nothing to play on that thing early on except stuff like Zoo Keeper, Feel the Magic, and tragically terrible-controlling titles like Mario 64 DS and Rayman? The DS also extended the lifespan of the GBA platform.

Also--the GBA slot was used for the rumble pack and some unauthorized accessories (namely flash carts with ROMs).

I got my DS in April 2006. So I didn't have to suffer through the launch abyss.

I worded that wrong. I should have said the GBA slot hardly anyone USES. I don't think many people use it now. But I'm sure you've already figured out why they took it out. Did you like Super Mario Advance, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Metroid Fusion? Well, prepare to buy them all over again for 1000 Nintendo Points apiece with the new DS Virtual Console! That way Nintendo gets ten bucks of pure profit out of selling their GBA games rather than the...zero dollars they get when you buy them used at EB.

The biggest problem, as ChrisMWaters alluded to, is the Guitar Hero deal. I can't imagine why anyone would want to play GH on a handheld, but apparently many, many hundreds of thousands do. The rumble pack doesn't really matter at all. Did any games use it besides Metroid Prime Pinball?

I got my DS in April 2006. So I didn't have to suffer through the launch abyss.

I worded that wrong. I should have said the GBA slot hardly anyone USES.

I again beg to differ. When I take a portable on trips, a system that plays both DS games and GBA games is really nice, since I just need to bring the carts along. This kills it. Also, it would be easily ignorable if it wasn't being positioned as a new platform with games that *only work on the DSi*.

And the DSi would be easily justifiable as a purchase if it were a lot more powerful *and* supported all original DS games. However...it's a JUST A DS at its core! It's an inbred mutant of a system that kind of screws a lot of people with perfectly fine and usable DS Phats and even Lites, since DSi-only games just won't work.

Did you like Super Mario Advance, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Metroid Fusion? Well, prepare to buy them all over again for 1000 Nintendo Points apiece with the new DS Virtual Console! That way Nintendo gets ten bucks of pure profit out of selling their GBA games rather than the...zero dollars they get when you buy them used at EB.

Oh, I know that's the obvious direction this is going. Even more annoying is that the DSi will use a points system totally separate from Wii Points, so you can't use points left over from a transaction on one system to the other.

However, I already have a way of playing those titles on a bigger, brighter screen with the convenience of it being in a digital format, and Nintendo's not getting money out of that, either.

The biggest problem, as ChrisMWaters alluded to, is the Guitar Hero deal. I can't imagine why anyone would want to play GH on a handheld, but apparently many, many hundreds of thousands do. The rumble pack doesn't really matter at all. Did any games use it besides Metroid Prime Pinball?

It doesn't matter to me or you that GH DS won't work for obvious reasons, but it's the principle of the fact that the GBA slot, which is used for many different things (there's been other accessories besides the rumble pack and GH insert, like the paddle-style controller attachment). The fact is, TWO DS VERSIONS have come and gone with that slot as a standard of the hardware. Now Nintendo is yanking it for something they would like to be a DS-2, but they are too cheap and lazy to upgrade the core architecture on it.

It's kind of like the Wii in that regard. :P

Even more annoying is that the DSi will use a points system totally separate from Wii Points, so you can't use points left over from a transaction on one system to the other.

They are? Wii Points are being renamed "Nintendo Points", so I was under the impression that you could use them for both systems. But apparently not?

The fact that they're splintering the market with DSi only games is a bit questionable. I'd think that these features would have been better served for a full-fledged DS2. But Nintendo knows what they're doing. They've never really made a significant upgrade to existing hardware before, and it makes me wonder if this is the beginning of a new direction for them. Maybe there never will be an official successor to the DS the way the PS2 was to the PS1 or the N64 was to the SNES. Maye they'll just keep iterating and releasing new models with extra features the way Apple does with the iPod and eventually we'll get to the technological level of a true follow-up, even if it won't be marketed as such. But then, "DS2" is too good a marketing gimmick to pass up. And you'd have to think eventually they'll want to release something with better graphics, even if graphics have little to do with the system's success.

They really should have put an accelerometer in there. You know, 'cause the iPhone has one. Speaking of which, how long before there's a DS Phone?

Even more annoying is that the DSi will use a points system totally separate from Wii Points, so you can't use points left over from a transaction on one system to the other.

They are? Wii Points are being renamed "Nintendo Points", so I was under the impression that you could use them for both systems. But apparently not?

Andrew is wrong. It is already confirmed that Wii Points and DS Points are the same thing, unified under a single account. Thus the nomenclature Nintendo Points.

Oops, looks like Drew was right:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/07/nintendo...etween-wii-dsi/

Eff U, Nintendo.

WHAT

FUCKING TREMENDOUS

SERIOUSLY

Owned.

Although honestly, WTF are the NA Club Nintendo accounts for? The Japanese get all the cool stuff. That *would* be the logical route for unification.

It's a shame really, we certainly expected a more 21st-century solution (i.e. an all-purpose Nintendo account) from the company which brought us the brilliant 16-digit friend code system.

LOL.

"No plans" for DSi-exclusive retail titles (i.e. all downloads):

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20518

DSi-only titles will be region-locked, but otherwise not:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20525

The DSi, however, will be able to play standard Nintendo software from any region, similar to the original Nintendo DS model and the Nintendo DS Lite. Users will also be able to browse the Internet on their DSi from anywhere in the world and exchange photos with friends in other countries.

LOL at how NOA doesn't know jack.