TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/7 - 10/11

Since Ohio State/USC ended up being a dud, the new Game of the Century of the Decade of the Year of the Week is the annual Red River Rivalry game between Texas and Oklahoma. Red River Shootout was such a better name for the game and I don't know why the decided to change it a few years ago but I'll just assume it's because Longhorns and Sooners fans like the shoot at each other or something. It's rare now to get a game this big to kick off a Saturday but I actually kinda prefer it that way.

Not to be overlooked is another big game in the ESS EEE SEE as LSU takes on Florida. LSU can solidify themselves as one of the top contenders for the MNC while Florida can possibly play themselves back into the discussion with an impressive win. Being that it's LSU/Florida expect Les Miles to go for it on 4th down at least 67 times.

Now if you are looking for a turn your brain off and just watch two teams light up the scoreboard for almost four hours type of game, then Oklahoma State/Missouri is for you. Both teams so far this year are averaging over 50 points a game and only Tulsa is scoring more per game than these two. I'm not a betting man and I have no idea what the over/under is for this game but um, bet the over.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

TUESDAY

Troy at Florida Atlantic, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

Clemson at #21 Wake Forest, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

Louisville at Memphis, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

#5 Texas vs. #1 Oklahoma, Noon/9:00 AM, ABC

Minnesota at Illinois, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Cornell at Harvard, Noon/9:00 AM, Versus

Colorado at #16 Kansas, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, ESPN2

Nebraska at #7 Texas Tech, 3:00 PM/Noon, FSN

Tennessee at #10 Georgia, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

Purdue at #12 Ohio State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN*

Notre Dame at #22 North Carolina, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN*

Arizona State at #8 USC, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

#23 Michigan State at Northwestern, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPN2

#4 LSU at #11 Florida, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBS

#6 Penn State at Wisconsin, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

#17 Oklahoma State at #3 Missouri, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

UCLA at Oregon, 10:15/7:15 PM, FSN

Digital Cable/Satellite/GamePlan Schedule

THURSDAY

Winston-Salem State at Florida A&M, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPNU

UAB at Houston, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBSCS

SATURDAY

Syracuse at West Virginia, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPNU

Iowa at Indiana, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Toledo at Michigan, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

East Carolina at Virginia, Noon/9:00 AM, Raycom*/GP

Rutgers at Cincinnati, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Duquense at Robert Morris, Noon/9:00 AM, FCS Pacific

South Carolina at Kentucky, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, Raycom*/GP

Fordham at Lehigh, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, FCS Atlantic

Eastern Michigan at Army, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, ESPN Classic

#14 Utah at Wyoming, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

Ohio at Kent State, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, GP

#13 Vanderbilt at Mississippi State, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, GP

Indiana State at Southern Illinois, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, FCS Central

TCU at Colorado State, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBSCS

UCF at Miami, 3:45/12:45 PM, ESPNU

Miami of Ohio at Northern Illinois, 4:00/1:00 PM, GP

New Mexico State at Nevada, 4;00/1:00 PM GP

Arkansas at #20 Auburn, 5:00/2:00 PM, GP

New Mexico at #9 BYU, 6:00/3:00 PM, Mtn.

Washington State at Oregon State, 6:30/3:30 PM, FCS Pacific

Iowa State at Baylor, 7:00/4:00 PM, FCS Central

UL Monroe at Arkansas State, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Sam Houston State at Central Arkansas, 7:00/4:00 PM, FCS Atlantic

Utah State at San Jose State, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPNU

#15 Boise State at Southern Miss, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBSCS

Air Force at San Diego State, 9:30/6:30 PM, Mtn.

Idaho at Fresno State, 10:00/7:00 PM, GP

All Other Div. I-A Games

Kansas State at Texas A&M

Gardner-Webb at Georgia Tech

Temple at Central Michigan

Western Michigan at Buffalo

Arizona at Stanford

Bowling Green at Akron

#25 Ball State at Western Kentucky

UL Lafayette at North Texas

Middle Tennessee at FIU

Tulsa at SMU

Tulane at UTEP

Louisiana Tech at Hawaii

Edited by Bored

Political correctness is why it got changed from the Red River Shootout to the RRR monicor.

I'm going to be a homer and say that Texas will win..I'd like to think it'll be big, but maybe by 10 or less...of course, the winner of this is in the driver's seat for the Big 12 South title and possible BCS game.

I'm not sure why they felt they had to change the name, considering the term "shootout" is still used in many facets to refer to any high-scoring back-and-forth game

I mean, really, who hears the term "shootout" in reference to football and thinks "gunfight"

Fuck them

Fuck I-AA for continuing to exclude the love for Pioneer conference... seriously, WTF Hell... Though I love that more I-AA games are hitting TV.

"Primetime" (aka TV) Games

7:30 PM ET Thursday: Winston-Salem State @ Florida A&M on ESPNU

12 PM ET: Cornell @ Harvard on Versus

12 PM ET: UMass @ Northeastern on CSN New England

12 PM ET: Duquesne @ Robert Morris on FSN Pittsburgh

12:30 PM ET: Yale @ Dartmouth on NESN

1 PM ET: Central Connecticut State @ Albany on Time Warner Cable

6 PM ET: Maine @ Delaware on CN8

6:30 PM ET: Texas Southern @ Southern on Cox Sports

Spotlight Games

#1 James Madison (5-1) @ #6 Richmond (4-2) *Will air on CSN (New England, MA) at 3:30 PM ET*

#7 Elon (5-1) @ #12 Citadel (3-2)

#2 Appalachian State (3-2) @ Samford (3-2)

#22 Jacksonville State (4-1) @ Eastern Kentucky (3-3)

Sam Houston State (2-1) @ #19 Central Arkansas (4-1) *Big matchup for Rhett Bomar*

#21 Western Illinois (3-2) @ #17 North Dakota State (3-2)

Texas State (3-2) @ #4 McNeese State (4-1)

Morehead State (3-2) @ San Diego (5-0)

So one year after "I'M A MAN, I'M 40!", Gundy has got Oklahoma State up to number 17 in the nation? WOW, that's just great. The guy has the potential to be the Jim Mora of college football coaches.

This RRS has me very very nervous. Texas is good and it'll be hard to stop Colt McCoy. But, at the same time Texas has a weak pass defense and Bradford can light them up.

The OSU-Mizzou game may be a score fest but I'm willing to bet the RRS breaks a few bulbs on the scoreboard because I don't know if either team can stop the others QB.

Here's your BCS update. There's now five of the six computer rankings available so the unofficial rankings are pretty accurate at this point. Big development is Vanderbilt made a huge jump in the computers after beating Auburn and they are currently #8 in the unofficial standings. Also as it stands right now Utah is ranked above BYU although the Cougars have a chance to change that the week after next when they travel to TCU. Nothing too surprising about the Top 6 except maybe LSU down at #6 as the computers are not big fans of them at the moment but that can change by beating Florida.

Unofficial BCS Top 14 per collegebcs.com

1. Oklahoma

2. Alabama

3. Missouri

4. Texas

5. Penn State

6. LSU

7. USC

8. Vanderbilt

9. Utah

10. Georgia

11. Texas Tech

12. BYU

13. Ohio State

14. Boise State

Guest Tzar Lysergic
BALL STATE IS RANKED IN THE TOP 25!!!!!!

First time in school history. When I was down there, I remember the whole plays going batshit when we beat #25 Toledo in the homecoming game. This was the season Letterman was making fun of the team on TV. The student body tore the place up, ran down Bethel, and jumped in the duck pond.

Shame on LSU defensive end Ricky Jean-Francois. Not for talking about how they were going to look for a hit to knock Tebow out of the game Saturday, but backpedaling afterwards. He clearly said that if there was a chance they would take him out of the game and he's basically saying it was taken out of context. Save the non-apology apologies for politics and if you are saying what you said, then own up to it.

Since when do I do division 3? Although... when is Mount Union gonna move up to Division II at least? Pussies beating up on weaker teams.

Big ups to Flacco and Hightower representing in the NFL by the way.

The current Beasts in I-AA Football

1: RB Jordan Scott (Colgate - 5'11" 205 Senior) Averaging 203.5 rushing yards per game and has 9 TD in 4 games.

2: QB Cameron Higgins (Weber State - 6'2" 195 Sophomore) Averaging 295.3 pssing yards per game and has 19 TD vs. 4 INT in 6 games.

3: WR Ramses Barden (Cal Poly - 6'6" 227 Senior) Averaging 156.5 receiving yards per game and has 7 TD in 4 games.**

4: WR Andre Roberts (Citadel - 5'11" 175 Junior) Averaging 22 yards per punt return on 14 returns in 5 games.

5: WR Kevin Teel (Hampton - 5'9" 168 Senior) Averaging 43.2 yards per kick return on 9 returns in 5 games and has scored 2 TD.

** Seriously, watch out for this kid in the NFL Draft this year. Could be a 2nd/3rd round selection based on his career alone and is putting up numbers like Randy Moss was doing (1996: 78-1709-29) maybe without the TD catches though. I just hope the NFL either makes him an Antonio Gates type TE or he becomes a taller version of Terrell Owens.

His numbers last year: 57-1467-18.

Ramses highlights vs. South Dakota

Auburn has fired offensive coordinator Tony Franklin after just six games on the job. I'm sure this will solve their quarterback problems.

So I haven't got to watch a lot of Texas this year, but I hear Colt McCoy is 215 pounds now!? Wow, he really bulked up. I remember his freshman season he looked like a twig that would snap in half if you hit him.

Wake puts the clamps down and beats Clemson 12-7. Very similar game to the 12-3 win over FSU. I'm surprised they got beat by Navy last week, but it happens. Having what's essentially a 2-game lead on FSU and Clemson already puts Wake in serious charge of that division.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Everyone knows I don't pay attention to this stuff, but Northwestern is 5-0? How the hell did that happen? I figured the next Crazy Northwestern Year was still like another three years down the road. Hmph. They'll fall apart after becoming bowl-eligible and lose in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Why am I the only one who thinks Oklahoma St can win? The game is gonna probably end up with over 100 total points scored, no defense. Upset special! Put the money down in Vegas and when you win, make sure to give me a cut of the winnings..thanks.

Im gonna put money on them tomorrow via Betus.com, it seems crazy. OSU is +14 and the O/U is only 78. 78! OVER!

Why am I the only one who thinks Oklahoma St can win? The game is gonna probably end up with over 100 total points scored, no defense. Upset special! Put the money down in Vegas and when you win, make sure to give me a cut of the winnings..thanks.

Im gonna put money on them tomorrow via Betus.com, it seems crazy. OSU is +14 and the O/U is only 78. 78! OVER!

I don't think you're the only person who thinks they can win, but I wouldn't pick them in a pick 'em. Oklahoma State looks good, but Missouri looks better and has a stronger win to its credit (a drubbing of Illinois) than anything on the OSU schedule.

Guest Vitamin X

Mesa State lineman chooses amputation over surgery.

Wikre told the doctor, “ ‘This is my senior year. If I want to go on, I’ve got to play great the rest of the way. These are my last few games, we’ve got to make this work.’ “He’s like, ‘We can’t.’ I said, ‘We can. Cut it off.’ I love football. When you face the fact you’ve played your last game, it hurts. If you love the game and you’re told that, you do whatever you have to do to play again.

“This team means the world to me. I love everybody on the team like a brother. I told them all before the Western New Mexico game that I would have no problem taking a bullet for any of these guys. I love ’em that much. This is my bullet.”

Awesome. Had to be a lineman.

god dammit.. fucking Melton proving that he just can't do shit right on either side of the ball with that facemask and then what I begrudgingly have to say was a nice fake end-around pass.

...that knee was down before the ball crossed though.

edit: and instant replay confirms it...

god dammit... look Greg, you don't have Vince nor do you have a fast RB... STOP RUNNING THE ZONE READ

...what the fuck?! Chiles... really?! Didn't you fuckers say you were taking out the Q Package because it never fucking worked? WTF Texas...