TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Saints Row 2

saints-row-high-half.jpg
Release Date: October
Formats: PS3, 360

Trailer:

So we enter the period of AA/AAA titles nearly every week till the end of the year. Seems like a while since I've felt that way about a title line up for games consoles, but I know there's several I like the look of, and could easily be out of pocket nearly £500 come the end of the year.

This is the game some people wished GTA4 had been; highly customizable, tongue in cheek and just over the top 'fun' to play. I'll reserve my judgement till once I've played it.

Online mode has apparently been stripped down.

Yeah I loved SR1 but with Fallout 3 and Fable 2, my gaming budget is already stretched past the breaking point. I'm goint to have to bum this one of a friend and play it later. It just won't be the same without Tia Carrere. but hopefully the game will have more Johnny Gat since he's the only lieutenant that's still on your side from the 1st one, and he was probably my favorite character in 1 anyway.

This is the game some people wished GTA4 had been; highly customizable, tongue in cheek and just over the top 'fun' to play. I'll reserve my judgement till once I've played it.

Online mode has apparently been stripped down.

But it has co-op for the story mode, which makes up for the other MP modes they removed by a lot.

I'll be getting this. I loved the first SR more than San Andreas (and GTA 4, for that matter). The fact it's an open world game that's actually open from the start is only one of the thing I prefer about SR.

For myself, this game has slipped down the pecking order due to the others out around it. I can see this being in the pre-owned bins at half price in 2 months too, so that plays a part of it.

I'm ready to continue the story after finishing GTA IV and wanting to blow more shit up. Fallout can wait till I finish Oblivion, and Saints has great co-op features. Fable II, I'm not interested in the co-op.

You posted the Saints Row 1 box art, by the way.

This game is a lot of fun so far (3 and a half hours in). But I can see this being 20 hours or less if I just focus on the missions. It's a lot easier to earn respect during missions so you really don't even have to do many activities. I'm going to force myself to do activities (which I enjoy) so I don't run through the story in less than a week. This game seems about half the length of GTA IV.

Did they maintain that stupid system where you lose respect in the gang by actually doing missions while gaining it involves doing stuff like Insurance Fraud?

You don't really lose respect, you just have to earn more respect to keep doing the missions. And yeah, you still have to do the activities. I think they made it less necessary though. Now you get respect from simple things like avoiding crashes and driving on the wrong side of the road without wrecking. Plus they give you more repect for killing rival gang members during missions, which is handy for the "push-back" missions. Really though all I did was play through the first series of Septic Avenger missions, use the money to hit up Impressions and the jewelry store and bought the top of the line suit (w/fedora, of course) and all the gold (no platinum this time around) jewelry I could afford. The boost it gives to your repect rating helps you stay ahead of the curve for a while. I've done very few of the activities (a couple of races, 3 or 4 levels of one of the Mayhems, and I'm at level 6 of one Insurance Fraud mission) and I think I've still got enough respect to do 9 missions/strongholds in a row if I wanted.

And I like doing Insurance Fraud. Especially with the new Adrenaline meter that, when maxed out, has you bouncing around like a Superball. Kinda makes things easier but since they took out witnesses and the multipliers for using civic vehicles I guess it evens out.

I built up enough respect during a couple missions where I wouldn't even need to do activities if I didn't want to. But like I said earlier, it'd make the game really short, and I enjoy activities such as mayhem, insurance fraud, septic avenger, etc.

Is drug pedelling soccer mom back? How about white rasta wannabe drug dealer guy?

Also, they didn't do anything stupid like add flying, did they?

Lol.

Yes. And they're married.

And yes, they did add flying. Which I don't see how that's stupid? It's really simplistic though, doesn't control like an actual plane would at all. Although sadly, they made the city bigger...but seem to have taken the train away?? The train still goes around town, so you might be able to, haven't tried, but markers for it don't appear on the map.

Is drug pedelling soccer mom back? How about white rasta wannabe drug dealer guy?

Yes. And they're married.

Heh. I never did the drug trafficking missions, so I didn't even make the connection until just now.

Although sadly, they made the city bigger...but seem to have taken the train away?? The train still goes around town, so you might be able to, haven't tried, but markers for it don't appear on the map.

The train definitely doesn't work like it used to. I went into a station and waited for a train, but never got a blue light. I'm also having trouble getting cabs to take me anywhere, even using waypoints, so get used to doing your own driving/flying.

Insurance Fraud was the best damn thing available in Saints Row 1. Hell, I think I stopped playing the game when I ran out of insurance fraud activities to do. Never finished the actual storyline.

Considering they really do nothing, there's way to many liquor stores.

To quote myself, I just realized today that you can actually buy all of these liquor stores (And clubs) to earn money. Didn't know that.

And in an awesomely gay (literally) way, just something I thought was hilarious right in the middle of the North Island there's actually a gay club called "Cocks". The dudes dancing in this club to the crazy techno music is just a funny visual. Especially since they're all doing the same little twirl dance, while wearing trucker hats and plaid shirts.

And sadly, with my Saints purple colored shirt on, my guy doesn't look out of place.

I love this game so far (6 hours in), but I have 2 major complaints:

1) The hideout, at least the underground one, is very confusing, and you can't set waypoints to get yourself out. It takes me 5, sometimes 10 minutes if I'm deep in, to find my way out. Very frustrating.

2) I mentioned this before, but the game looks to be really, really short. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been out of town Friday-Sunday and unable to play more than 30 minutes each on Monday and last Thursday, I'd have the game beaten 100%.

Beat the main storyline since I was in a hurry to beat it before Fable 2 came out. Fun game, nothing too different from the first game. A couple of the mission briefings are great (burning the pot farm, getting kidnapped by the Sons and getting the mother of all contact highs). All in all, I'll probably go back and play it again or at least do a lot of the side missions once the run of AAA releases ends.

A ripoff of what? GTA?

I guess you could argue that, but really people claim every sandbox game ever is a ripoff of GTA now. Hell, I remember people saying the Spiderman games were just GTA with Spiderman. Lol. My question is, so what if it was? Does that make it any less/better of a game?

Anyways, SR does some things better then its counterparts. For one thing, customization. You can fairly easy create a character that looks just like you. Or whoever. And now being able to customize every color (which you couldn't in the first) I was able to make the same exact outfit I was wearing the other day, something you can't do in GTA, or Crackdown, etc. It's also fun. A lot of the tongue in cheek humor, that used to be in the GTA games, but was removed in IV is there, such as activities like Septic Avenger or Crowd Control. Overall, even though I loved GTAIV, I personally think SR is just more fun.

Also, one complaint I saw about SR was that it was too short, or not as long. I completed the game yesterday, and was done at 25 hours. And the only activities I really did were ones that were necessary to continue the story so I didn't just waste a lot of time doing nothing. So it's definitely longer then I remember seeing some people complain about.

No, it is not. Crackdown is set in the future, you play the part of a superhuman law enforcement officer. It resembles Mercenaries in that you hunt down lower level bosses of each gang in order to get to the big boss of said gang. Crackdown is a lot of fun considering you can probably find it used for under $20.

Risking steering this off topic even more. I've played Crackdown but som of the Volk bosses were super aggravating so I returned the game to the kid I borrowed it from.

Hey, if you don't press start or anything at the beginning a pretty sweet intro, "flipping through the channels" type thing plays. Which I didn't realize until now, after beating the game.

Still, pretty cool.

Finally beat the main storyline, after accidentally overwriting my 70% save with a new game where I was just screwing around.

One thing I particularly like about this is the fact you can seriously screw with some missions with a little prep time.

Just ripped through the storyline in about 22 hours. Just got the 'essential' activities (unlimited SMG & shotgun ammo, unlimited sprinting, 3x health regeneration...would've done Base Jumping but could never get the target to appear somewhere convenient for getting 3 gold stars), and then the final mission hidden away

in the police station

. All in all it was an excellent game, and I'd recommend it.

Fun fact, I finished the game before the guy on eBay I bought it from left me feedback.

Just got the game from Gamefly, and holy fuck. Why did nobody mention how incredibly AWESOME the soundtrack for this game is? I'm just spending my time in the music store damnit.