TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grungy Punk

Rock Legend found dead

Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience of the 1960s and the group's last surviving member, was found dead in his hotel room early Wednesday.

Mitchell was a powerful force on the Hendrix band's 1967 debut album "Are You Experienced?" as well as the trio's albums "Electric Ladyland" and "Axis: Bold As Love." He had an explosive drumming style that can be heard in hard-charging songs such as "Fire" and "Manic Depression." He also played along side Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and John Lennon.

An employee at Portland's Benson Hotel called police after discovering Mitchell's body. Erin Patrick, a deputy medical examiner, said Mitchell apparently died of natural causes.

R.I.P Mitch Mitchell :(

Guest Israeli Mixed Wrestling

I saw this under "Rock Star, 62, Dies" when AIM opened its stupid home page against my will. I sure was relieved to find out it was only Mitch Mitchell.

Pretty standard stuff, Meek didn't like the way he played (reportedly because he wanted someone more reserved and formal, as opposed to Mitchell's individualistic style), and threatened to shoot him if he didn't play it properly. (Similar to Phil Spector doing much the same thing to the Ramones).

Meek was an unstable guy.

Guest Israeli Mixed Wrestling

I thought Phil did that to Leonard Cohen.

EDIT: Other news I got from AIM Dashboard today was regarding Kanye West's guilt over his mom's failed plastic surgery, with the title "Kanye Blames Self for Death," which first made me imagine Kanye West blaming himself for his own death from beyond the grave, then blaming himself for the entire concept of death.

Both. The Cohen incident:

As Cohen recalled it, Spector put his arm around his shoulder, put the pistol to his neck and said: "I love you Leonard." Showing his natural cool, Cohen pushed it away and said: "I hope so Phil."

The Ramones incident:

While working with punk rock legends The Ramones, Spector forces the band to play the same opening guitar chord over and over again for eight solid hours, mixing it into the song "Rock And Roll High School" until he gets it just the way he wants it. At one point, the frustrated band attempts to leave, but Phil pulls a gun on the group and forces them to play his 1963 hit by the Ronettes, "Baby I Love You."