TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/19 - 11/23

The Big 12 South goes to the top BCS team. Tech has no chance of winning a 3 way tie.

They need OSU to beat OU and they need to beat Baylor.

Exactly, but that doesn't mean they're out of the discussion or race. They could still very well win the Big XII south here.

Exactly. I don't know where you guys are getting that I'm talking about the national title race here. I'm talking about who wins the Big XII south.

I've been talking about the national title race since it was fairly clear that OU and Florida were both going to jump Texas in the BCS standings, and assumed that's what you were talking about since I posted it before the rest of the discussion took place. My bad.

Missouri already clinched the North sport

Even if they lose to Kansas and Nebraska wins over Colorado, resulting in tied dconference record, they beat Nebraska last month

BCS Rankings

1. Alabama

2. Texas 0.9209

3. Oklahoma 0.9125

4. Florida

5. USC

6. Utah

7. Texas Tech

8. Penn State

9. Boise State

10. Ohio State

11. Georgia

12. Oklahoma State

13. Missouri

14. TCU

15. Ball State

16. Cincinnati

17. Oregon State

18. BYU

19. Michigan State

20. Florida State

21. Boston College

22. Georgia Tech

23. Oregon

24. Northwestern

25. Pittsburgh

So basically a win over a top 12 team next week and more upward movement in the polls as a result coupled with Texas playing an unranked team will probably give OU the No. 2 spot and the Big XII south crown?

So basically a win over a top 12 team next week and more upward movement in the polls as a result coupled with Texas playing an unranked team will probably give OU the No. 2 spot and the Big XII south crown?

Yes. It's going to be OU and Alabama/Florida for the title unless OU chokes.

Yes. It's going to be OU and Alabama/Florida for the title unless OU chokes.

So is it all computer rankings that will move OU ahead? Or will they need to pick up a few more No. 2 or No. 1 votes next week? I'm wondering if the guys that understand the BCS more can shed some light. Does a win by OU next week pretty much guarantee the south crown?

Since I haven't talked about SC much this year, I should mention that I would MUCH RATHER see them go to the Sugar Bowl than the Rose Bowl. Will that happen? Probably not. IIRC, the Fiesta Bowl gets the first pick of teams. They'd pick us, I bet. But USC vs. Alabama or Florida would be something.

Since I haven't talked about SC much this year, I should mention that I would MUCH RATHER see them go to the Sugar Bowl than the Rose Bowl. Will that happen? Probably not. IIRC, the Fiesta Bowl gets the first pick of teams. They'd pick us, I bet. But USC vs. Alabama or Florida would be something.

All projections I see have them going to the Fiesta Bowl to play OU or Texas.

I don't understand why anyone could be complaining about the polls at this juncture. They're a jumbled mess, but one which will work out fine in the end.

As for Oklahoma being ranked that high, uh, they beat a one-loss team, and Florida hasn't. Matter of fact, Florida has only beaten one team worth a shit this year. 7-4 LSU and 7-4 South Carolina aren't exactly the heavyweights of the world, as far as secondary victories go.

I don't understand why anyone could be complaining about the polls at this juncture. They're a jumbled mess, but one which will work out fine in the end.

As for Oklahoma being ranked that high, uh, they beat a one-loss team, and Florida hasn't. Matter of fact, Florida has only beaten one team worth a shit this year. 7-4 LSU and 7-4 South Carolina aren't exactly the heavyweights of the world, as far as secondary victories go.

You left out georgia.

I did that on purpose. Tech has one loss, Georgia has two. Oklahoma's next best win was against TCU, who has two losses. Florida's next best win is against a four loss team, and the team they lost to has four losses. It's pretty simple. There's no reason Florida should be ahead of Oklahoma in the BCS rankings. Human polls...they probably should. In the AP Poll they are. I think Florida is the superior team. Does it really matter right now? Nope.

Yeah Florida's position is such that they really don't need to care where they are in the polls/BCS. Win out, and they finish #1. Lose to Alabama, and they are obviously finished. Lose to FSU, and they need a lot of help, and are quite possibly finished regardless of what happens with Alabama.

Really, the only reason the BCS standings matter right now is the possible three-way tie in the Big 12 South. This also just brings me back to a point I made a few weeks ago, namely that it is stupid to split conferences into divisions and then have the "division winners" play in the conference championship game. If conferences want to run a title game, they should simply pick the top two teams in the conference and have them play. Not only does this likely create a better game, it also increases the likelihood of that conference's champion playing in the BCS title game. And it's not like they can even fall back onto the "we want to avoid rematches" excuse, since Missouri vs. Texas is a possibility for the Big 12 championship. If Texas-Oklahoma were a possibility, it would remove whatever "controversy" is present right now, create a highly appealing game, and guarantee the Big 12 a spot in the title match.

Bill Snyder unretires to retake reins at KSU

Very mixed feelings about this one. Greatest coach in university history, obviously, but at the same time, I thought it would be better just to move on to another coach instead of retreading old ground and bringing him back, especially given a variety of factors including his age and his lackluster final two seasons

Florida will be in the national title if they win out. Who the fuck cares where they're ranked right now?

Exactly.

There were a ton of OU fans calling in to the radio complaining about Florida being ranked ahead of OU after the Tech game. WHO CARES!? The two SEC teams are going to play each other and the winner is in and the loser is out. Who cares where they're ranked if you're an OU or Texas fan? And as a Florida fan, who cares if one of the south teams is ahead of you? Only one south team is going to the national title game. You beat 'Bama and you're in the title game.

In the real barnburner of the day, Abilene Christian beat West Texas A&M in a D-II playoff game by a score of 93-68.

here's a pic from the game

flagfootball.jpg

apparently tackling isn't allowed in the lower divisions.