TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/19 - 11/23

Hows trolling working out for ya?

If you understood the game of football, you would know that the little orange marker on the ground or the yellow lines aren't the end all be all 1st down markers. The chains are. Also, his 2nd effort gave him the 1st.

Interesting read on a very improbable but interesting BCS scenario:

Given the current standings, this is the worst possible outcome:

Oklahoma beats Texas Tech, 49-47 in one of the greatest games in history.

Florida loses at Florida State on Nov. 29.

On championship Saturday the BCS Standings are 1) Alabama, 2) Texas, 3) Oklahoma, 4) Texas Tech, 5) Southern Cal, 6) Florida

Florida beats No. 1 Alabama in the SEC championship game.

No. 2 Texas (11-1) loses to Missouri in the Big 12 championship game.

Texas Tech (11-1) and Oklahoma (11-1), two teams that didn’t even win their division, finish 1-2 and advance to the BCS championship game. The human polls try to avoid a rematch and vote Southern Cal (11-1) No. 2 but the computers drop the Trojans into the No. 3 spot in the final rankings because of a weak schedule.

Missouri (11-2) is the Big 12 champion but, under BCS rules, only two teams from any one conference can play in a BCS game. Texas Tech and Oklahoma are already in the BCS title game. What does the BCS do? There is nothing in the bylaws to account for this scenario. Do they invoke an emergency change? Will one of the Big 12 teams get left out? Does President elect Obama invoke an eight-team playoff by executive order? The next three weeks could really be fun.

The BCS rules account for this. A conference can send three teams if they have the top 2 teams in the BCS and neither of them are the conference champion.

YES!!!!!!!

Try to take back that INT!

Oh man. This was so close and an insane game. What a comeback.

Holy shit. I'm glad I don't have to hear that bently announcer again. That dude was like a fucking central cheerleader in the booth. It was unbearable to listen to. This motherfucker is still hating ever after BSU wins. Fucking piece of shit.

Congrats for beating Central Michigan by 7. That was a good win, but I am still not totally impressed. I will say I did not expect them to win that game, so it's a start. Enjoy the potential beatdown in the BCS if everything falls the Cardinals way. I'm just hoping Maryland/Ball State somehow happens now. We need a "BCS Win".

Not gonna happen. Everything else in that scenario seems plausible, but I don't see how FSU's gonna beat Florida. They do have a pretty good defense, but as Florida showed last week, they'll hang 50 on a good D anyways. I'd love it if that happened though.

Not gonna happen. Everything else in that scenario seems plausible, but I don't see how FSU's gonna beat Florida. They do have a pretty good defense, but as Florida showed last week, they'll hang 50 on a good D anyways. I'd love it if that happened though.

Not going to happen? They lost at home to Ole Miss. It can happen.

In theory it's possible for FSU to win that game, but the key difference now is that Florida won't be overlooking anyone. They likely took Ole Miss for granted as an easy win.

That said, if we're looking at 1 loss teams in terms of results I'm not sure how Florida would get in over any of the 3 Big 12 south teams. Texas would have a loss to TX Tech, OU a loss to Texas, and (in theory) Tech's 1 loss to OU.

You know at the end of the day what frustrates me the most about the BCS? With all the screwy crap they do, the politics of letting certain teams in and ripping off others, at the end of the day virtually everyone they have pronounced champion has been the best team. The 1 year where I had some real doubt about it was maybe 2003, since LSU may not have been able to beat USC but we'll never know.

So Todd McShay and Mel Kiper said that if the Big XII south winner loses to Mizzou then one of the other one-loss Big XII teams wouldn't go to the national title game because they didn't win their conference, BUT they said USC would go in place of those teams. So ummm........what if Oregon State wins out? The media complains they can't send a Big XII south team that doesn't win the conference title, so why would you send USC if they didn't win their conference title? There's no real way to justify it beyond "Well ummm.....they're USC and they're good and we think they should." But if you do that, you can't condemn the other two Big XII teams for not winning their conference.

I kind of want to see that scenario play out just to see how hypocritical the media can get and how ESPN tries to BS as to why it's the right decision.

So Todd McShay and Mel Kiper said that if the Big XII south winner loses to Mizzou then one of the other one-loss Big XII teams wouldn't go to the national title game because they didn't win their conference, BUT they said USC would go in place of those teams. So ummm........what if Oregon State wins out? The media complains they can't send a Big XII south team that doesn't win the conference title, so why would you send USC if they didn't win their conference title? There's no real way to justify it beyond "Well ummm.....they're USC and they're good and we think they should." But if you do that, you can't condemn the other two Big XII teams for not winning their conference.

I kind of want to see that scenario play out just to see how hypocritical the media can get and how ESPN tries to BS as to why it's the right decision.

Umm I agree with you, but USC would technically be co-champions. I do agree it's insane to hold "not winning the conference" against Texas. Tech can solve a lot of worries and will by knocking OU off.

The best part about tonight's raping on ESPN was that Miami fans have to stoop even lower to make stuff up now. I never saw such conceited pricks over a 5-game win streak before. Now, it's "WELL, HOW MANY NATIONAL TITLES HAS GT WON?"

ACC excitement continues, as Georgia Tech pounds Miami to finish the season at 5-3 in conference. That opens up a pile of delicious 3-team and 4-team tiebreak scenarios in the Coastal division. Amazingly, every team in the ACC but Duke, NC State, and Clemson can still win the conference.

Yes, USC would become co-champions, and in the event that USC qualifies for the national title game, it'd be USC vs whoever in the title game and Oregon State vs Penn State in the Rose, if Oregon State qualifies.

Yeah, but if they don't get to the title game then they are an at-large team and don't even go to the Rose Bowl. Still seems kind of shady to penalize the Big XII teams for not winning the conference, but still send that team.

Yeah seriously. Only way USC even has a chance is if Missouri wins the Big 12 title over Oklahoma, who beats TTU. And that's doubtful.

That Mizzou wins the title or OU beats Tech? Because I'm pretty sure OU's going to beat Tech, but I think they'll lose to OSU and Tech will outright win the South. Can't argue with 59-2 at home under Stoops. I read that nobody has a better home winning percentage in the last 10 years than Stoops.

I went to go look up OU's yearly schedules since the championship season to look over the home record Dama mentioned earlier, and I had totally forgotten that Tech beat OU last year. Sure, that was in Lubbock and all, but regardless I haven't heard or seen anyone mention that at all in discussing this game, just that it's almost an automatic wash for OU.

I went to go look up OU's yearly schedules since the championship season to look over the home record Dama mentioned earlier, and I had totally forgotten that Tech beat OU last year. Sure, that was in Lubbock and all, but regardless I haven't heard or seen anyone mention that at all in discussing this game, just that it's almost an automatic wash for OU.

Really? All I've heard on ESPN is that Tech is 2-1 in their last 3 meetings with OU. Some people are calling it a wash because Bradford was hurt, but OU made enough of a comeback in that game to kind of make it seem null and void.

I'm stunned at the Wolverines' incompetence. Interception gives them the ball on the Buckeyes' 13 yard line, so they gain no yards, commit a false start, and miss a field goal. Argh.

Edit: Followed a few minutes later by a turnover on a mishandled punt. As well as Michigan's defense is playing the other facets of their team have failed miserably so far.