TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

What was the best team ever?

Let's say it's 1906. Are the Chicago Cubs of that year at that point not the greatest team of all time?

That's a stupid argument. If a team can't win the championship, then they're not one of the best teams of all time.

I think it's harder to say you need to win it all in football, since the championship is just one game. I mean, they aren't the best team ever only because David Tyree made a fluke catch?

I think it's harder to say you need to win it all in football, since the championship is just one game. I mean, they aren't the best team ever only because David Tyree made a fluke catch?

I'd say so. If they really are one of the best teams ever, they should win when it counts the most.

People act like it was the catch that killed the Patriots. If I recall correctly, they still had to make plays afterwards. A team like the 85 Bears would have pasted Manning the next play (yes this is a joke out of homerism). The Patriots ALLOWED New York to continue the drive.

Let's say it's 1906. Are the Chicago Cubs of that year at that point not the greatest team of all time?

That's a stupid argument. If a team can't win the championship, then they're not one of the best teams of all time.

I think the championship argument is equivalent of a brick wall. It always comes back to the same sentence.

Because it is the most important criteria when deciding best teams of all time. How can you SERIOUSLY give any consideration to a team that did not win the championship? The point of the championship is to declare one team the best of the season/postseason. If you don't win that, how do you win against the many many many teams who have indeed won the championship?

People act like it was the catch that killed the Patriots. If I recall correctly, they still had to make plays afterwards. A team like the 85 Bears would have pasted Manning the next play (yes this is a joke out of homerism). The Patriots ALLOWED New York to continue the drive.

Porter is correct. Also, if their vaunted offence hadn't shit the bed the whole game, the Tyree argument is moot.

I think the championship argument is equivalent of a brick wall. It always comes back to the same sentence.

But it's true. The best teams win the biggest games. That's how it works.

Because it is the most important criteria when deciding best teams of all time. How can you SERIOUSLY give any consideration to a team that did not win the championship? The point of the championship is to declare one team the best of the season/postseason. If you don't win that, how do you win against the many many many teams who have indeed won the championship?

Glad you asked. The World Champion 1905 Giants returned almost all of their team the next season, and lost 15 of 22 games to that Cubs team.

Glad you asked. The World Champion 1905 Giants returned almost all of their team the next season, and lost 15 of 22 games to that Cubs team.

That's fascinating!

That doesn't mean anything, nor does it make them one of the best teams ever

That's fascinating!

That doesn't mean anything, nor does it make them one of the best teams ever

Why not?

Because they didn't win the World Series. One of the "best teams ever", could not win when it counted the most and I think that disqualifies them. If they really were one of the best teams ever, they would've defeated the ChiSox

Do you seriously think the 2007 Giants are a better team than the 2007 Patriots? They went 1-1 against each other, and one went 18-1 and the other.. didn't.

No, probably not.

But I don't believe that the Patriots can be considered one of the best teams ever. They didn't even win the Super Bowl! If anything, the Pats will be remembered for cheating and for choking on the biggest stage.

Maybe a "best NFL team that didn't win the Super Bowl" would be interesting. I still say a Wild Card team that beat 4 (!) teams that beat them during the regular season was not the best team in the NFL last year, but they did win when it mattered.

Maybe a "best NFL team that didn't win the Super Bowl" would be interesting.

I think the 07 Pats would win that in a walk, but some of the other candidates would be worth debating.

A lot of people will point to the 98 Vikings, but I think 98 Falcons don't get enough credit. They went 14-2 and were solid on both sides of the ball. Chris Chandler and Jamal Anderson had career years on offense, while the defense featured the likes of Jesse Tuggle, Eugene Robinson, and Cornelius Bennett. I've never been convinced the Falcons beating the Vikes that year was a fluke.

The 99 Jags were pretty good too. If only they could've found a way to beat the Titans...