TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

WWE Raw - December 22, 2008

Raw was good times. I try to avoid backstage gossip about who s lurking around backstage so I didn't know Trish was reported as being there, but I figured Cena's partner wouldn't be Kelly. For the first 90 minutes I thought it would be Gail's re-debut, but then I remembered "oh yeah, Trish might be visiting" and that was a pretty cool moment. Her facebook status indicates she's "still buzzing" and she was nice enough to thank people that wrote kind comments on her wall, so good stuff.

I thought both Rey/JBL and Jericho/Punk were strong matches, especially the latter. I'm glad someone else caught the "LUGER!" chant (which I think was just one loud dude) during JBL's torture rack and the "Oh! Canada" during Jericho/Punk was awesome. I enjoyed the finishes of both matches though I see in some reports the HBK/JBL thing is getting some flack. Oh well, I thought it was smart.

As for Toronto chanting "You Screwed Bret" at Shawn, I don't remember us Canadians getting on Shawn's case whenever the last taping was (this was 11 years ago) so I just assumed everyone chanting it had watched the Raw episode on 24/7 right now (it's from the night after Survivor Series).

Just to clarify something - are the anti "Face Melina" posters saying they didn't agree with the face turn several months ago, or did they forget all about it?

It'd be great if Trish came back and faced Beth at WrestleMania.

The "Cuck Fena" sign was gold.

There was also one that said "We've Cena Nuff" which I got a chuckle out of.

There was also one that said "We've Cena Nuff" which I got a chuckle out of.

That one's been seen more than once because his character's sucked for so long.

Raw was fun basically from top to bottom. The opening segment with Santino and Cena set the tone and gave the show a storyline that played right into the ME.

Kane vs HBK was a throw-away but it's always interesting to see the crowd reax to HBK in Canada. HBK gave a bit back going for the crossface during the match. The winner was never in question, though it only furthers the silliness of Kelly being scared of Kane. Heck she could probably kick his ass these days given Kanes' booking.

Manu vs Kofi was a good little match. Manu is actually solid in the ring, but as I've probably mentioned ad nasuem now, he just doesn't fit in with the Legacy Boys. Wwe should break him away and make him their Samoa Joe.

I really liked how it was explained why HBK is not simply asking HHH for help. It was a necessary explanation that the wwe usually neglects. Is HBK using JBL? Does he have something up his sleeve?

Divas Tag Match was solid, if unspectacular. I'm a mark for the Code Red finisher. Regal was really putting over the IC title, as he said he would in interviews recently. He really wants to elevate it. If Layla is "Two a Penny" I have a shiny penny with her name on it.

JBL vs Mysterio was kinda just there, but the ending was creative so I can't complain. Ref sorta botched the finish though, but it was minor enough. Liked how they explained Knox' absence. It's the little things...

Behind Enemy Lines : Colombia looks like shite.

Jericho vs Punk was really good. Punk's kicks are sloppy at times, but he'll learn the hard way if he stiffs Regal in their upcoming feud. I figured Punk was going to tap to the crab, but when Punk was setting up the springboard clothesline I thought it would be neat to be caught with the code breaker, and then it happened, and executed really well.

Superfan gets a name - Rosa Mendez.

I figured Trish was coming, but it was still really fun. She didn't seem to have any ring rust on her. Cena saved Christmas.

I hated how they explained HBK not asking HHH. He says "I don't need anyone's help" yet the reason he went to JBL in the first place is because he needed help.

No, he said that asking HHH for financial help would change their friendship, and he did not want that to happen. Michaels did not go to JBL, JBL made him an offer that would help him support his family, long-term.

So how exactly is Michaels supposed to be working for JBL? In a wrestling capacity to help him become World Champion? Or is he choosing stocks that aren't so risky during these trying times of financial crisis? :D

So how exactly is Michaels supposed to be working for JBL? In a wrestling capacity to help him become World Champion? Or is he choosing stocks that aren't so risky during these trying times of financial crisis? :D

It allows him to rip off the Million Dollar Man just a little bit more.

I hated how they explained HBK not asking HHH. He says "I don't need anyone's help" yet the reason he went to JBL in the first place is because he needed help.

No, he said that asking HHH for financial help would change their friendship, and he did not want that to happen. Michaels did not go to JBL, JBL made him an offer that would help him support his family, long-term.

That's what I get for DVR FF'ing.

Paul Heyman re: last night's RAW

ONE of the greatest things about pro wrestling — or sports entertainment, if you insist — is that when it clicks, when it's done correctly, and when the audience is "into it", there is nothing like it in the world.

World Wrestling Entertainment presented Monday Night Raw from Toronto, Canada this week, and it was just one of those nights when, if you're a fan, this is everything you could ask for.

The show-long story of Santino Marella promising to give away a secret about Santa Claus was so moronic, so stupid, so preposterous, if someone other than Santino made the threat, it would just reinforce so many negatives about the mentality of pro-wrestling, and WWE's inability to comprehend how its own actions are perceived by the mainstream.

But once again, Santino's performance was delivered with such comedic genius, it was actually entertaining, and instead of the audience groaning, everyone came along for the fun ride.

THAT'S when wrestling is at its best. When you wink at the audience, say "trust me" and they trust you...and you deliver.

The return of Trish Stratus was handled perfectly. It was a feel-good moment in front of a hot crowd, with Trish and Beth Phoenix giving the live and television audience just enough — but not too much — to feel like everyone saw something special, while not really giving anything away.

John Cena pinning Santino makes perfect sense, because Santino can lose almost every night. As a matter of fact, he should lose almost every night, because his character is better off that way!

There was no need for Trish to beat Beth Phoenix, who needs to keep her heat as the Womens Champion under the trying circumstance of standing next to the hysterical Santino each week.

Cena pinning Santino was logical, smart booking, and much like when Santino was built up for the confrontation with Stone Cold Steve Austin, it shows you don't always have to spend main event equity to deliver a satisfying payoff.

Advertisement

Chris Jericho's stellar match with CM Punk tore the house down, with a series of false finishes that had the audience riveted.

This was Jericho with his proverbial "working shoes" on, clearly at the top of his game, and Punk was no less a performer. The finish of the match, where Punk did his springboard but fell victim to a lying-in-wake Jericho, who nailed a video-reel-perfect CodeBreaker was one that left everyone hoping to see these two against each other again one day.

But the person on Raw to keep your eye on more than anyone else is Randy Orton.

In 2009, Adam "Edge" Copeland is going to have some stiff competition for the title of Single Best Performer In WWE, and he's going to get that competition from Orton.

There's a certain look in his eyes now, a confidence that permeates the room, a comfort with one's self that overshadows his natural arrogance.

Orton's ring work was always excellent and gets better by the day, but now he's learning great control on the mic. Six months from now, play back Orton's promos from the past few weeks, and you'll be amazed at how the solid promos he's doing today pale by comparison.

You can see it as each episode of Raw transpires. Orton gets better every moment he's out there. He's becoming the most complete heel in World Wrestling Entertainment. He has poise, patience, and is just now beginning to grasp the masterful control he can have over the audience's emotion with each word, inflection, and facial mannerism he delivers.

While Smackdown finally pulled the trigger on the uber-popular Jeff Hardy ascending to the throne of WWE champion, the future of WWE may very well be the sinister heel on Raw whose understanding of his own talents can propel him to even greater heights than he has already achieved in his young but accomplishment-filled career.

After watching this week's excellent edition of Monday Night Raw, I am convinced that unless someone screws it up, World Wrestling Entertainment in 2009 will truly enter The Age of Orton.

And for the posters that will say this was predictable, take away the internet and you wouldn't have had a fucking clue.

I'm not just saying this to sound smart, but I called it once Kelly left. Only semi-seriously, but even so, I hadn't heard she was backstage and my first thought was "maybe they'll get Trish, that'd take a little of the heat off of Cena". And sure enough...

Am I the only one that didn't think Jericho/Punk was anything special? It was okay, but they've had better matches. Much better. All the matches seemed strangely slow this week, just in the pacing. JBL took at least 10 seconds to pick Mysterio up at one point in their match and Jericho/Punk seemed to take a lot of time to get going too. The strong points of the show for me were Trish's performance (can any of the Divas throw a forearm or a punch that even looks half as decent as Trish, because I can't think of one) and Orton's promo (I think Heyman's dead on, Orton's become more and more comfortable and accomplished on the mic the past year). The matches just seemed off to me.

Orton's promo was just next level. I haven't seen a promo in the WWE done that well in forever, and that includes Jericho's recent heel stuff. They need to push that man to the moon and use him as the official test for building up faces over the next few years.

Agreed.

They really have something going with him leading this stable, he's the one person with IT right now on Raw, and he can make or break some of these young guys just by association...almost an automatic way to give dibiase jr a main event face push in a year or so after his return if they had him defect against orton and legacy...