TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/31 - 1/6

Okay on to the the second half of what has been a surprisingly entertaining bowl season to this point although there's still plenty of time for disappointment. While Utah/Ohio State and Texas/Alabama would have been far better match-ups, this year's BCS games are at least much more intriguing than last year. It seemed last season the BCS bowls went out of their way to come up with the least compelling slate of games as they possibly could. Thank God for the Rose Bowl as the January 1st line-up looks atrocious this year outside the GOTA.

I'll post a thread for MNC game sometime this weekend.

WEDNESDAY

Armed Forces Bowl: Houston vs. Air Force, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Sun Bowl: Oregon State vs. #20 Pittsburgh, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS

Music City Bowl: #24 Boston College vs. Vanderbilt, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPN

Insight Bowl: Kansas vs. Minnesota, 6:00/3:00 PM, NFLN

Chick-Fil-A Bowl: LSU vs. #14 Georgia Tech, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

THURSDAY

Outback Bowl: South Carolina vs. Iowa, 11:00/8:00 AM, ESPN

Gator Bowl: Nebraska vs. Clemson, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBS

Capital One Bowl: #15 Georgia vs. #18 Michigan State, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, ABC

Rose Bowl: #8 Penn State vs. #5 USC, 4:30/1:30 PM, ABC

Orange Bowl: #12 Cincinnati vs. #19 Virginia Tech, 8:30/5:30 PM, FOX

FRIDAY

Cotton Bowl: #25 Mississippi vs. #7 Texas Tech, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, FOX

Liberty Bowl: Kentucky vs. East Carolina, 5:00/2:00 PM, ESPN

Sugar Bowl: #6 Utah vs. #4 Alabama, 8:00/5:00 PM, FOX

SATURDAY

International Bowl: Buffalo vs. Connecticut, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

MONDAY

Fiesta Bowl: #10 Ohio State vs. #3 Texas, 8:00/5:00 PM, FOX

TUESDAY

GMAC Bowl: #22 Ball State vs. Tulsa, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Seems like most of the bowl games I was interested in already happened. I'm looking forward to Pittsburgh/Oregon State, Cincinnati/Virginia Tech, Ole Miss/Texas Tech, and Buffalo/UConn, but outside of that, nothing jumps out of me.

Guest Czecherbear

Honestly, I didn't even know Cincinnati had a team. I never know which Big East schools actually do field football teams these days. I thought West Virginia automatically won the Big East every year because there was nobody else for them to play.

It was windy pretty bad, but some of the offensive playcalling was seriously bad. Bill Stull went SEVEN FOR 24 FOR 42 YARDS or some nonsense. I did like Pitt trying a 58 yard field goal with 2 minutes to go. Guess it was a better chance of going in than an offensive play working.

VANDY JUST WON A BOWL GAME. That fucked up a lot of bowl manias I bet. Including mine.

Are Bob Griese and Brad Nessler going to a New Yars party right after the game or something? Griese is wearing a black suit and BOWTIE.

I don't think this game will be as bad as people think. LSU's main weakness seemed to be pass defense, and GT doesn't pass. I do think GT will win but it probably won't be a blowout.

Has a national champion fallen quicker in terms of public perspective as this LSU team has? Sheesh.

Guest Vitamin X

Man I did a great job betting on LSU in this one. GT was favored by 4.5! And LSU is leading by 18 here.

Man I did a great job betting on LSU in this one. GT was favored by 4.5! And LSU is leading by 18 here.

Make that "LSU is leading by 31 here".

I thought LSU would be good tonight and possibly win, as they had time to heal up, but this is re-goddamn-diculous.

I guess this proves that a very talented D-Line can stop the triple option with enough time to gameplan it.

Guest Vitamin X

32 actually, but yeah.

I just had a feeling about GT being kind of overrated after looking at the two teams and their wins and losses. LSU also traditionally does pretty well in bowl games, and I thought they had some bad luck this season, and of course lost their confidence with that Florida game. They finished the season on a bad note, but all of their losses were to good teams for the most part.

LSU + Georgia Dome bowl game = assrape.

Not always...

IIRC, the Peach Bowl games against Clemson and Georgia Tech in the 90s / early 2000s were something like 14-10 and 28-10, with LSU being down at the half for both.

The one against Miami and this one are fucking insane, though, as the combined total of the last 6 quarters for LSU in the Peach Bowl is around 78-6.

Guest Vitamin X

Here's hoping Penn State can at least keep it close or beat SC tomorrow so I can win a whole lot of money.

Not to mention the guy running the ball on that play was a 6'4", 270-pound D-lineman.

Looks like Iowa's on their way to getting the Big Ten's first (and maybe last) bowl win.

Clemson is looking like people thought they would at the start of the season. Isn't there anyone on Nebraska who can tackle?

Of course, the minute I post that, everything goes all to hell.

Clemson is looking like people thought they would at the start of the season. Isn't there anyone on Nebraska who can tackle?

Of course, the minute I post that, everything goes all to hell.

They reverted back to form in the second half apparently.

It's funny that the team from the conference with no D won a game with D. I like Pelini, so good for him.

Since the board is acting weird I'm going to create an AIM chat for the game in a test run to see about having a chat for the MNC game. Invite yourself to TSMRoseBowlChat.

I hadn't watched a college football game all season, but I'm watching the Rose Bowl now. I dislike USC and prefer UCLA, but as an Illinois fan, I'm rooting against Penn State.

Should be a good game, anyway. I'll watch just about any sports now with my new high def receiver.

USC blowing out another overrated Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl, gets hailed as the 'real' best team in the country, which leads to a top 3 ranking next year. Where have I seen this before?

I don't understand why everyone gets so excited about the Rose Bowl these days. It's always USC vs. some Big 10 team that doesn't have a chance. I know they always say "Well that's why they play the games" but fuck, you don't need to play the Rose Bowl. The score is always going to be USC a lot and slow Big 10 team not a lot. Probably the worst of the BCS bowls since the USC/Texas game.

USC blowing out a overrated Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl and is hailed as the 'real' best team in the country which will lead to a top 3 ranking next season. Where have I seen this before?

Well according to Musburger USC should be in the national title game. Because the Pac 10 won all their bowl games and USC is obviously better than OU and Florida. Did I mention Mark Sanchez was robbed of the Heisman? That's where this commentary is leading towards at this moment.

I'm sure the USC lovers in the media will use the Pac 10 being undefeated in bowl games as a reason to prop USC up and say they should've been in the national title game discussion. I don't think bowl games are a good way to judge conference strength. You have so many bowl games and a lot of average teams playing bowl games and a lot of unmotivated teams. You could get a barn-burner like Texas/USC or you could get a game like last years Cotton Bowl where Mizzou wanted to play and Arkansas didn't even want to be there. Did that mean the SEC wasn't that good because one of their teams got blown out in a bowl game? No, it had nothing to do with the SEC or the conference strength or anything else. Hell it really didn't even have to do with how good Arkansas was and it really wasn't a reflection on their season at all.

Bowl games are just a fun thing to watch, and it's awesome when both teams try. But it's not a good judge of conference over conference or even a good reflection on someone's season.