TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWF Royal Rumble 1995

Just once I want the legend who is in for a one shot to win the thing and go on to WrestleMania. I remember actively rooting for Dick Murdoch to end up taking the damn thing.

Just once I want the legend who is in for a one shot to win the thing and go on to WrestleMania. I remember actively rooting for Dick Murdoch to end up taking the damn thing.

Well, maybe not a true "legend" at that point, but Mr. Perfect came pretty close a few years back as a surprise entrant.

Well, maybe not a true "legend" at that point, but Mr. Perfect came pretty close a few years back as a surprise entrant.

Yep, 2002. He was one of the last three in the match with Kurt Angle and Triple H. I think he actually eliminated Steve Austin.

Yep, 2002. He was one of the last three in the match with Kurt Angle and Triple H. I think he actually eliminated Steve Austin.

I was marking out like crazy for Perfect here.

I always wondered what happened to Mr. Perfect's push when he came back in 2002. They advertised his return at the Royal Rumble to much fanfare and had all new vignettes for him and everything. As mentioned, he was one of the last three remaining in the Rumble in 2002 and even helped eliminate Steve Austin. All the sheets at the time said he was due for a feud and a match with Austin at WM18. And in a scary sort of continuity for the WWF, they were supposed to be playing off their interaction with each other that was going on when Hennig suddenly jumped to WCW in 1996.

But then all of a sudden, him and Austin have a nothing match on Raw the night after No Way Out where he loses, but the nWo interferes and they don't play off Hennig's past history with the nWo at all.

And then he's jobbing in 5 minutes squashes to people like Test and Tajiri and ended up in the WM18 dark match with people like Justin Credible, Albert, and Scotty 2 Hotty. This just kept going until the Plane Ride From Hell(©, 2002) in May got him shitcanned. By that point, he was only doing Heat anyways. I think his last WWF match was getting killed in 3 minutes by Matt Hardy.

I'm guessing the nWo coming in fucked up those plans and Stephanie's creative genius suddenly didn't know what to do with him, but weren't they negotiating with Hall, Nash, and Hogan way before he came back?

It just never made sense to me.