TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

WWE SmackDown - February 27, 2009

Lightning striking the sarcophagus thing was badass, really. It hit and then Taker was just laying there and Kane & Bearer freaked the fuck out. Taker then sat up and stood up. Kane did his arm raise-lower fire thing and it blasted across the entire stage and Taker walked through it and towards the ring. It was on the first Best Of Raw VHS, I think.

Edit: gotta love that youtube has "undertaker returns 1998", "2000", "2003", etc...

From wiki:

On the March 2 edition of Raw is War, Kane's opponent, Steve Austin, was taken out by DX and with nothing to do, Bearer ordered the time keeper to deliver a ten-bell salute for The Undertaker's passing, before telling Kane to tombstone him. After he did, more bells were heard to ring, this time signalling Undertaker's theme music. The ringing continued much longer than normal, with Bearer denying the possibility of it being the Deadman. Eventually a sarcophagus appeared on the top of the ramp and after lightning struck it, The Undertaker sat up before revealing that he had been through hell and talked to his parents to tell them that he would have to go back on his vow. The week before WrestleMania, Kane came to the ring and began to display similar supernatural powers as his brother, striking the TitanTron with lightning, as well as the announce table, before striking a crew worker with lightning, setting him on fire; Undertaker was shown on the same episode speaking to his parents' gravestones, revealing it may have to take the damnation of his soul to reunite the troubled family.

I believe the Undertaker soliloquy in front of his parents' graves is on the 'Tombstone' boxset.

Off topic, but I can only think of two uses of a wireless mic in WWE history: the aforementioned Undertaker promo building up the Inferno match and Mr. McMahon berating The Big Show at WrestleMania XV.

DDP's motivational character and Jillian Hall have headset mics, if that counts.

Baton down the hatches and have your friend Kate barricade the door, VLADIMIR KOZLOV is in the building and he's really mad. Vladimir Kozlov is really angry! He's been wanting competition from the Double Double E Superstars he loves so much, and this week he has it in the form of [Vince McMahon]The UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDERRRRRRRTAKER.[/Vince McMahon]. Who will win this Clash of the Titans? Will the Earth survive this battle, or will we all need to be transported to a new planet until the heroes of the Earth ask a dragon to give us our old Earth back?

In other action, the challenge has been made! As we now live in a world where the preachers are the sinners and the police just take the grease, the once benevolent Matt Hardy has challenged the man how refers to as his "former brother" (I suppose he's theoretically called him this when saying he has no brother) Jeff Hardy to a 1 on 1 wrestling match - the way real men settle life long jealousy issues. Who wins when Hardy takes on Hardy?

In a tag match for the ages, World Tag Team Champions The Miz and John Morrison take on WWE Tag Team Champions The Colons with the tag titles belonging to Carlito and Primo on the line. Will Jomo and Miz force The Colons to be jealous, or will Primo Coolness prevail?

The answers to all this and more can be found out by just reading spoilers (which will be all the way above this post when things get merged) OR tuning into YourNetworkTV or The Score tonight!

Carlito/Primo vs Miz/Morrizon vs Bourne/Mysterio vs DiBiase/Rhodes for the "undisputed" tag titles at Wrestlemania, book it... it'll be great.

Kozlov has another expression! Behold the "I just beat Taker" smirk!

Matt Hardy's heel promos are pretty good, but they could be even better. More emphasis on the "me" and the "sick". If you saw the show you'll know what I mean... With Edge, Orton and Jericho in top form, he's got some pretty good inspiration.

I like that Savage is getting more mentions on WWE TV. Like how they're preparing to mention the DVD coming out.

Also find it interesting that in 89, the main eventers wore red and yellow and orange and white respectively...where as 10 years later, both wore black.

Matt's starting to look a little fat.

I've thought the same thing for a month and a half. Just wait till you see him with no shirt.

I just watched Smackdown. It was a very good show, but they've blown their wad on a lot of potential WrestleMania or future PPV stuff.

Mizorrison vs. The Colons to unify the titles could have been a Mania match. I was disappointed to see Miz and Morrison lose. I figured the Bellas would turn heel, and my favorite tag team could have both sets of belts, 2 slammies, and 2 women. But alas, it was not to be. Maybe they can still have a titles vs. titles match at Mania.

Vladimir Kozlov (who, discounting the "I love double-double-E" phase, I've always liked a lot) and Undertaker had an awesome match. In any other year, without the previous 2 years' buildup to HBK/Taker, that would have made an excellent Mania match. The finish was one that I thought would work well, but I didn't think it would actually end the match. Bravo.

Matt vs. Jeff... surprisngly, they held off on this. I thought they'd throw the two of them in MitB.

Chavo/Shelton was awesome. Are they building to a 3 or 4 way where the Minorities Title might actually be defended at Mania?

I like Cena, unlike many people here, but I was still happy to be surprised when he was pinned pretty much cleanly.

Overall, a very good show.