TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JerryvonKramer

List the Head Bookers plus Dates

Does anyone have a list of head bookers for WWF and WCW from say 1980 onwards? Or could someone with that knowledge list them here?

I'd really like to see that. Certain changeovers are well documented, like, for example, Dusty Rhodes replacing Ole Anderson as WCW's Headbooker in 1991. But who was head booker between Rhodes and Bischoff? Was it Bill Watts?

Who booked WWF in the 80s? Was it just Vince all along? Pat Patterson? I know George Scott was WWF head booker 1984-6. Someone told me it was Pat Patterson then, but I've seen no proof of that. I'm almost positive there was a change of booker around, say, 1992. I've always thought there was a distinct lurch towards WAY more cartoon OTT gimmick stuff around that time. If I'd have to guess, I'd say Patterson was replaced in 1991, but by whom I don't know. I'm sure I've heard Jim Ross say on Legends of Wrestling that he was "given the book" at one point or another too.

For WCW, I would say it goes something like:

85-7: Dusty Rhodes

88-9: Jim Herd (??)

90: Ole Anderson

91: Dusty Rhodes

92: Bill Watts again (??)

93-99: Eric Bischoff

99-00: Vince Russo

That look about right to you?

I'd love to know this stuff for sure with approximate dates.

Does anyone have a list of head bookers for WWF and WCW from say 1980 onwards? Or could someone with that knowledge list them here?

I'd really like to see that. Certain changeovers are well documented, like, for example, Dusty Rhodes replacing Ole Anderson as WCW's Headbooker in 1991. But who was head booker between Rhodes and Bischoff? Was it Bill Watts?

Who booked WWF in the 80s? Was it just Vince all along? Pat Patterson? I know George Scott was WWF head booker 1984-6. Someone told me it was Pat Patterson then, but I've seen no proof of that. I'm almost positive there was a change of booker around, say, 1992. I've always thought there was a distinct lurch towards WAY more cartoon OTT gimmick stuff around that time. If I'd have to guess, I'd say Patterson was replaced in 1991, but by whom I don't know. I'm sure I've heard Jim Ross say on Legends of Wrestling that he was "given the book" at one point or another too.

For WCW, I would say it goes something like:

85-7: Dusty Rhodes

88-9: Jim Herd (??)

90: Ole Anderson

91: Dusty Rhodes

92: Bill Watts again (??)

93-99: Eric Bischoff

99-00: Vince Russo

That look about right to you?

I'd love to know this stuff for sure with approximate dates.

WCW/NWA is murky because they used a booking committee. Dusty was replaced in 1988 or early 1989 and replaced by Flair. He also had the book in at points in '93 and '94. You are also giving Bischoff too much credit. Even under his tenure, the booker was a variety of people, including Kevin Sullivan and Kevin Nash. I also believe Terry Taylor might have had a run as head booker during a point as well. As for Jim Ross, he was on the booking committee at points, but he was never head booker.

In regards to the WWF, just remember this: They might have someone listed as "head booker" or "head of creative"... but it's always ultimately Vince McMahon making the final decision in regards to those things.

One guy I forgot about is Kip Allen Frey who was responsible for most of the awesome in WCW 1992.

When did Kevin Sullivan have the book? I imagine it was around 1995 when the Dungeon of Doom angle was in full swing, no?

RE: Vince, I've always been quite interested to know how involved he is with individual angles and things like that. I've been watching the old SNMEs and it's difficult not to think what must have been going through his mind as he's calling the action.

One guy I forgot about is Kip Allen Frey who was responsible for most of the awesome in WCW 1992.

When did Kevin Sullivan have the book? I imagine it was around 1995 when the Dungeon of Doom angle was in full swing, no?

RE: Vince, I've always been quite interested to know how involved he is with individual angles and things like that. I've been watching the old SNMEs and it's difficult not to think what must have been going through his mind as he's calling the action.

Sullivan had it during the late '90's, and when he got it back in 2000... it was the catalyst for the Radicals jumping to the WWE.

And Frey was Executive Vice President of WCW, but he was never booker. I believe Dusty was booking in 1992 for both Watts and Frey.

Hmm...are you sure? In Foley's book he mentioned that Dusty was still technically the booker in WCW circa 1992 but that Watts was basically running everything. I don't remember a mention of Ross on the creative end.