TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bob_barron

NEWSRADIO IS BACK!

Guest Justwitty
I'm almost tempted to turn in my Jimmy James Rockin' Ranger Brigade membership card after knowing that Scott Keith mentioned the show (whenever he throws out a gratuitous pop culture reference, it's usually something I hate (Friends, the band Cinderella).

What is so ironic about that is that it came right after Bob's "quit" line. But, still LOL at your reasons, in a good way.

And I cannot believe I left off Stiller! I've only seen that episode a couple times but he was another great guest appearance, made all the better that he was interacting with Bill. (Great quotes Bob!)

My fav guest stars would have to be the Mr. Show Trio from "Chocks." They were just so pathetically funny and when they all came out of the breakroom bawling after Bill's talk with them, I was laughing hysterically.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

No mention of Jeneane Garafalo either, as Dave's girlfriend from WI? Or Chuck D as himself? Or Ton Loc as one of the building security guys?

Chris Kattan was also in the episode where Beth takes nude photos of herself, as an employee of the photo shop. That episode also had one of my all-time favorite exchanges between Beth & Bill, and then Bill & Matthew. When Beth shows Bill a pic, and he goes off about the objectification of women and the masks society forces them to wear, then turns to Matthew and says Beth's showing naked pictures of herself.

Guest bob_barron

I hate Janeane Garafalo but she was awesome on NR.

If I ever meet Maura Tierney- I'm giving her a plain donut

Guest Justwitty

Since it seems I missed a ton of guest stars when I made my short list earlier, allow me to add Jon Stewart to the revised list. His whole episode with Matthew was brilliant...especially the twist at the end about who was "actually" adopted.

Spaceman- I just saw the Beth nudie photos episode for the first time back in November and that exchange between Bill and Matthew had me rolling.

"Beth's showing nudie photos of herself with a paper bag over her head. Check it out."

And yes, Janeane is very cute.

LOL at the plain donut line.

Guest Mattdotcom
If I ever meet Maura Tierney- I'm giving her a plain donut

I'd give her a plain donut, too.

In bed.

After we did it.

Guest bob_barron

I'm the one who got the Maura Tierney sex look so I think I'm doing her first.

Janeane does nothing for me except wish she put a paper bag over her head

Guest Justwitty

And Janeane's stock goes down...

It's a shame...I really think she is cute. But, then she had to go open her mouth and pretend I give two shits about what Janeane Garofalo thinks about the war and the media. In honor and since I do this anyways in this thread everytime, I present a Newsradio quote that seems fitting at this moment....

Dave: "Oh Matthew, what is it now?... For Godsakes, no one's smoking, OKAY?!!!

Matthew: "But..."

Bill: "BUT NOTHING!!!

Dave: "YOU KNOW WHAT WE NEED AROUND HERE IS AN ANTI-WHINING ORDINANCE!!!"

Bill: "SO JUST ZIP YOUR SNIVELLING LITTLE LIP AND HAUL YOUR SKINNY ASS OUTTA HERE!!!"

Or even better,

Bill: "Matthew, on behalf of all of us, I'd just like to say that NOBODY GIVES A DAMN!"

Guest bob_barron

Man- both guys going apeshit on Matthew is just hilarious since for Dave it's just so out of character.

I haven't seen any downloads for Smoking but I really want to watch it again

Guest Justwitty

It was that exchange in "Smoking" that hooked me for good. It holds a special place in my heart as my favorite Newsradio line(s) of all-time.

And since it's been awhile since you've seen "Smoking", I'll add another quote:

Jimmy: "To hell with that... I think we should just die with our boots on."

Dave: Sir, what are you talking about?"

Jimmy: "Aww nothing, I just wanted you guys to notice my new boots."

Guest Justwitty
That quote is from French Diplomacy

Well, that's what I get for going to a Newsradio quote site as opposed to just watching the epsiode myself. Damn. Ok, how about this one...(I acutally watched to make sure)

Dave: "Bill, we're now officially a non-smoking office. What you are doing is punishable by a $100 fine."

Bill: "You're kidding."

Dave: "No, I'm not kidding."

(Bill calmly reaches into his wallet and pulls out $100 to give to Dave.)

I have no doubt this was discussed earlier in this thread but I unfortunately don't have the time to go check it now so here goes...

When Phil died, who would you guys have cast to take his spot on the show? Or, would you have just ended the show on the Titanic episode?

I liked the Lovitz choice, I just didn't like the character. I think had they made him less of a Matthew clone and more of a hybrid of Bill/Matthew (sounds impossible, I know) the 5th season would have ended up a LOT better than it was. (Although, the 5th season still rocked by other sitcom standards)

Guest bob_barron

I know some people in the thread mentioned John Larroquette as a possible replacement.

You're absolutely right about the problem with Max Louis- he was Matthew II.

I think the series should've ended in retrospect after 'Bill Moves On' but I don't fault them for trying to do the show after Phil Hartman's death. His character was such a big part of the show that in the end the void could just not be filled.

Guest Justwitty

The problem with Larroquette would have been that while on the outside he would have resembled Bill, on the inside, if he had been anything like Dan Fielding, it wouldn't have worked.

Bill as a character worked so well because underneath the dickheadness, there was someone who genuinely loved and cared for his co-workers. There was even a backstory to his behavior based on his upbringing as a child. ("Good times...good times.") This is all explained perfectly on the one in-depth website mentioned earlier in the thread.

Outside of Lovitz, I think Patrick Warburton could have worked. He just has an oddness about him that is unlike Matthew and would have fit within the insane world of WNYX. (Warburton, Lovitz and Rob Schneider were the immediate rumored replacements. I think that was in USA Today back in 1998)

Why oh why can't there be a show like this on the air today? (My mom compared Good Morning, Miami to it. I thought "Great!"...then I watched an episode of Miami....oops. :huh: )

Guest bob_barron

Bill did have some warmth about him- with the letters he wrote, him getting emotional over Matthew-

When he wasn't being an asshole Bill could be alright.

I think Bill McNeal was irreplaceable. Just like he was on SNL- He was "The Glue"- the guy that held it all together.

Oh and Good Morning Miami sucks ass.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

OK, fuck this shit.

Not only has Channel 48 not been showing the ROH weekly TV show, but now NewsRadio is being replaced by some shitty "Street Smarts" game show, where people on the streets are asked questions, and the contestants try to guess if they answered correctly.

I retract all former praise for Channel 48.

Guest areacode212

Street Smarts is actually pretty decent. Maybe not "NewsRadio replacement" decent, but still fun to watch. I wish it was still on around here.

Wasn't Chyna on this show recently?

Guest bob_barron

Don't know if anyone cares but it's worth a post-

Every Tuesday I have intro to broadcasting class where each week we put on an actual radio broadcast.

This week I was the host and read the news and well-

I felt like a real life Bill McNeal. I even dedicated my performance to the great sir Bill of MacNeal.

Just like to let you all know that Bob Barron followed in the footsteps of his hero.

Guest Justwitty

Congrats Bob! Hope you get great feedback on the broadcast.

Did you have your own personal Matthew to terrorize as well?

Guest areacode212

Do you have an MP3 of your broadcast? I'm sure you can find a bunch of chicks to sing a "Real Deal" jingle for you.

Guest bob_barron
Congrats Bob! Hope you get great feedback on the broadcast.

Did you have your own personal Matthew to terrorize as well?

I had my own personal Dave I guess-

Or since it was a girl I guess it was Lisa.

I was the asshole who kept contradicting everything and since we were doing a story on Michael Jackson and his fondness for sleeping in bed with kids I came up with a million bad jokes.

If I knew how to upload sounds I would play the jingle I created but I don't.

Despite me mispronouncing the Jean Chretien's name- people said I did a good job

Guest Justwitty
I was the asshole who kept contradicting everything and since we were doing a story on Michael Jackson and his fondness for sleeping in bed with kids I came up with a million bad jokes.

LOL! God bless you Bob....God bless you.

And mispronouncing Jean's name allows to combine "Buttafuoco" Matthew with normal Bill....a surprising combo and from the sounds of it, a well-done one.

Guest MDH257

I figured this thread is where I should menton this. If everyone already knows about it my apologies.

Columbia Tri-Star has a poll on their website asking which of their television properties people would like to see on DVD. Newsradio is one of the options

Click Here

Guest Spaceman Spiff

I just voted.

And I just saw the Channel 48 moved Newsradio to 5:00 PM, which doesn't do me any good. Good thing I have my AC212 hook-up.

Guest bob_barron

I have my Kazaa hookup-

48 episodes downloaded so far.

I sent AC my 'Real Deal' file so maybe he can do stuff with it

Guest Mattdotcom

I'm in the process of voting.

And as to acting like Bill in public, I use the pompous Bill voice all the time in my Theatre class and was dangerously close to unleashing what the great poets refer to as "manimal lust" the first day of school this semester. Oh, and I'm an arrogant asshole who makes with the funny. And I was dangerously close to owning a cane. And Phil Hartman has been upgraded to my hero.

Guest Mattdotcom

The Kids in the Hall are on Letterman tonight, just in case anybody needs a Dave fix.

Guest bob_barron

Cool- thanks Mattdotcom- kudos on also acting like Bill.

The whole time in broadcasting I just kept talking about NewsRadio- it felt so surreal.