TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bob_barron

NEWSRADIO IS BACK!

You know, on some message boards they actually DELETE old threads once they've been inactive for almost a year.

You, guys, I think there does come a point when you're allowed to start a NEW thread about something.

You're lucky you're a Star Wars fan, otherwise...::shakes fist::

I've already got it ordered from Amazon, so hopefully it won't take too long to get here.

I guess I just didn't get the deep cultural meaning this thread holds for you all.  My apologies.

Most of the thread was just me, AC212, Matt and Spiff just going back and forth on how much we loved NewsRadio for 10-15 pages. That's why we love it.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

We've waited three long years for this

I was going to change my custom title to a NewsRadio quote because I totally forgot it already is one.

Amazon shipped it yesterday so hopefully by the week's end but I'm not holding my breath... last year most orders arrived 2 days after shipping but lately it's been taking a week or more. We'll see... it's shipping with Seinfeld Season 4!

Checking the tracking onfo from Amazon, looks like it was delivered today. Just gotta swing by the PO box to grab it. Guess it helps that it got shipped from DE, and I live near Philly.

CAN'T WAIT TO PICK IT UP~!

I picked this up yesterday. It's a great set, but there is no excuse for having all 29 episodes jam packed on just three DVDs. Add to the amount of episodes all of the extras, and you can really tell that the quality of the video has taken a beating. It's not horrible mind you, but not where it should be. Go ahead and charge $1-$2 more for that one extra disc. It isn't like it would have made the packaging any bigger. This set comes in two of those very slim cases (like the Family Guy DVD cases), and the both go into a small cardboard slipcover. In the first slipcase is two of the discs, the third is in the other slipcase. I don't see why they didn't just add a forth disc since they had the room. It would have worked perfectly.

That said, of course it's a great set in terms of actual content. I've listened to a couple of the commentary tracks so far, and they are some of the most easy listening tracks that I've come across on any DVD or DVD set. They are very informative and funny, so great job there.

If you are a fan of this show at all, pick this up. I'd go so far as to suggest it as a blind buy for people who haven't ever even seen the show.

I picked this up yesterday. It's a great set, but there is no excuse for having all 29 episodes jam packed on just three DVDs. Add to the amount of episodes all of the extras, and you can really tell that the quality of the video has taken a beating. It's not horrible mind you, but not where it should be. Go ahead and charge $1-$2 more for that one extra disc. It isn't like it would have made the packaging any bigger. This set comes in two of those very slim cases (like the Family Guy DVD cases), and the both go into a small cardboard slipcover. In the first slipcase is two of the discs, the third is in the other slipcase. I don't see why they didn't just add a forth disc since they had the room. It would have worked perfectly.

Thanks tvshowsondvd.com

I got it Friday and watched the first two episodes. The Pilot is alright, although there's not enough Bill, Innappropiate is still really funny. The lack of a break room, really does hurt the first two shows.

The commentary tracks are excellent though, really fun to listen to. I have 10 episodes and 5 commentary tracks of Joan of Arcadia left, and then I'm going to plow through NewsRadio

Thanks tvshowsondvd.com

What?

I have 10 episodes and 5 commentary tracks of Joan of Arcadia left, and then I'm going to plow through NewsRadio

Did you get that at WalMart with the $5.50 screwup?

What?

tvshowsondvd had the exact same rant about the number of discs in their review.

Did you get that at WalMart with the $5.50 screwup?

Sadly no as there's no WalMart in my area. I still got a good price for it, and it's an excellent show, so I'm not gonna complain

Biggest gripe - no English sub-titles.

Basically, when I watch Simpsons or Futurama on DVD, I like having the hilarious commentary running while sub-titles detail the plot and jokes to me.

With this set, I can't really hear any show audio while the commentary track is on and the only sub-tilte option is Portugese. That's pretty weird.

However that just means most future viewings will be commentary free and it won't matter... glad I have this, looking forward to Seasons 3 and 4, whenever that may be.

Yeah, that's another minor gripe of mine.

About the commentary, at least they don't have the main audio of the show turned all the way off like on some DVDs (I was just watching my R2 of Swimming With Sharks and when the commentary is running on that one, a great commentary btw, they have the main audio for the film turned all the way off).

I've been reminded of one of my favourite lines that I forgot over time...

Dave: "Wait a minute, Joe. If what you're saying is true, then... I still don't care"

I must remember to alter that line to remove "Joe" and use it where appropriate in life.

Also there seems to be some controversy over the added episode, "Injury", where there existed an unedited version that people saw on A&E with additional usage of the word "penis" at the end of the episode but the version on the DVD is the standard "edited" version that eventually made its way onto NBC after much headache.

Edited by DrVenkman

The unedited version aired on UPN when they were sydnicating it. What I remember is that Dave fines Bill 'per penis' and then as Dave leaves, Bill calls him a penis

The commentaries are great (and there's a TON of them, unlike AD, unfortunately)

My faves so far are the Bebe Neuworth ep commentary (one of the worst eps on the DVD) where they talk about Tone Loc's 'gemme something to GROMP on' line, and the Christmas story commentary with Dick and Rogan.

You also get the very distinct impression that Rogan despises Fear Factor.

Yeah, in one commentary (I forget the episode but I believe it was on the 3rd disc) Rogan makes mention that Fear Factor is the equivalent of wasting time until you get your cheque.

Dave Foley was clearly the star of these commentaries and very enjoyable to listen to. I was cracking up when they were discussing character catchphrases and he figured his was "Matthew!" "Joe!" and repeated it a few more times.

My favorite was the white guard that always gave Bill a hard time (the one that's not Tone Loc) commenting on the hats that Mr. James gave out for Xmas.

They were walking out to the parking garage as he was about to give out the Miata's, and the white guard says "Above average hats, sir!" as Mr. James walks by. I still use that line. Moreso now that I have the episode on dvd.

On the NewsRadio commentary:

Warren Littlefield: It's nearly ten years later since the show went on the air and I don't see a defining office comedy since NewsRadio anywhere on the television landscape.

Paul Simms: Well you bought one called Just Shoot Me and promoted it more then this

Boba Fett Courtesy of: J. T. Hutt

Hey Bob - in the "summer vacation home" home episode towards the end of season 2, what was Lisa saying that got overdubbed? She ends up saying "I'm not spending the summer with 'Mr. Speedo Man'", but she clearly didn't say "Mr. Speedo Man" in the scene. Any idea what got edited out?