TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

"Fake Emotion" - FFX-2

*watches as thread turns into another TMD attacks Sakura thread*

Nah...I'm done with her. She can think whatever she wants. If she wants to continue it further we can go to NHB or she can IM me.

Yeah, it seems like my situation is the same as a lot of other people's. I used to really love RPGs, they were by far my favorite genre, but it's getting harder and harder for me to get myself to play them. I don't have huge blocks of free time like I used to, and I get more and more impatient with them, especially since they seem to be getting longer and longer. FF6 is my favorite game ever and I love lots of old school RPGs and a fair number of new ones, but they're starting to feel like more and more of a chore. Recently I've just been playing rhythm games and fighters, because I can play them in small doses and still enjoy myself. I liked FFX and I'll probably get FFX-2, but I'm not really looking forward to it that much. I don't mind a new singer doing Real Emotion, I didn't think Koda Kumi was all that special.

TMD, your hypocracy and obsession with Sakura is getting a little annoying. You never qualify your statements with imo (like when you said KotoR was better than FFX, *very* debatable), so why should everyone else? Dragging your feud from thread to thread is stupid.

Yeah, it seems like my situation is the same as a lot of other people's. I used to really love RPGs, they were by far my favorite genre, but it's getting harder and harder for me to get myself to play them. I don't have huge blocks of free time like I used to, and I get more and more impatient with them, especially since they seem to be getting longer and longer.

I'd actually argue that they're getting shorter and shorter and it's just that the plots have become so predictable that it makes them drag for us "older gamers."

It's definitely a situation I'm in, though. I don't know if it's burnout from playing so many of them as a little kid, or just outright disappointment in the entire genre. After having my manic fanboy interest crushed by games like Chrono Cross (which pissed me off on so many levels), I think I just started looking in the genre in a different way and I haven't turned back since.

Similar situation here. Final Fantasy 8, Final Fatasy 9, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Legaia pretty much killed all my love and interest in RPG's. It takes a damn good game to gather my attention for more than an hour or two and I think maybe 3-5 RPG's in the last two years have done so.

Similar situation here. Final Fantasy 8, Final Fatasy 9, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Legaia pretty much killed all my love and interest in RPG's. It takes a damn good game to gather my attention for more than an hour or two and I think maybe 3-5 RPG's in the last two years have done so.

I have to agree, although ff9 was the least offensive of the bunch, and CC just plain sucked. With that being said, what should Square and the other companies do to make an ideal RPG?

Similar situation here.  Final Fantasy 8, Final Fatasy 9, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Legaia pretty much killed all my love and interest in RPG's.  It takes a damn good game to gather my attention for more than an hour or two and I think maybe 3-5 RPG's in the last two years have done so.

I have to agree, although ff9 was the least offensive of the bunch, and CC just plain sucked. With that being said, what should Square and the other companies do to make an ideal RPG?

I don't think there's anything such as an 'ideal RPG', since different fans have different opinions.

Yeah, personally I'd like to see a more old-school RPG like the first two Suikodens, which I loved. They just took advantage of the CD format for awesome 2D visuals and music.

There really are no set rules for me to create a great rpg. Many of my favorites have been radically different from each other, i.e. Final Fantasy 6, Secret of Mana, Dragon Warrior(s), and even Earthbound.

One thing that is laking today in many games is an interesting cast of characters. Shadow, Locke, Kefka, Chrono, Vivi, Sprite, Alex, Choko~, and many others aren't hugely different from most bad characters, its just that they some how shine through from either a staring role or to main character status. There really hasn't been a character that I can recall recently that has been a total package: cool design, unique history, well defined or suitably mysterious personaility, useful abilities, and the intangible x factor that makes a character complete.

FF6 managed to do this better than any other. Of all the cast of characters there are very few annoying characters and enough development with the good to over shadow the bad. While the opposite is true for me with FF8. All the characters were pretty bad: much too similar in background, characters who seemed to perform actions totally different from their defined character, boring charater design, and just "there."

Edited by frozenblockofpiss