TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
smh810

American Idol Season 4

Guest Coffey

I didn't laugh as much as I did with the season opener last year. That means that the overall majority of the talent shown wasn't as bad as it was last year. Of course, we still have a couple more cities, so we'll see what goes down.

I can't wait to see whom is so terrible that they make Paula spit her drink out.

Guest netslob

when is someone finally gonna get fed up with him and whip Simon's ass? that's the only reason i can see to tune into this shit-fest.

A lot of the people who advanced were women. I guess the men in DC really SUCKED this time around.

I felt sorry for that guy who came in trying to sing Josh Grobin's song, and realized he couldn't do it, and left crying. BUT EVERYONE ELSE, especially the guy who held that syllable for close to an eternity, THEY DESERVED THE SIMONIZING....

I still don't get the appeal of this show. Maybe I'm missing something, but watching a bunch of talentless asses try to sing is not my idea of entertainment.

And the fact it takes away from scripted television really annoys me.

Atleast with reality TV shows, there are some writers that make a story out of people being stupid. But there really isn't much of a story to tell with people just singing.

Stupid, stupid, stupid show.

And the fact it takes away from scripted television really annoys me.

Atleast with reality TV shows, there are some writers that make a story out of people being stupid. But there really isn't much of a story to tell with people just singing.

Stupid, stupid, stupid show.

I really find it funny when people say things like that about a show..(or pretty much anything in general) yet, they'd take the time out to enter, and discuss in a thread about it, or take the time to look at, and post the ratings. :P

I still don't get the appeal of this show. Maybe I'm missing something, but watching a bunch of talentless asses try to sing is not my idea of entertainment.

It may not be to you..but it is to the people who created this 'The overnight rating was a 18.2 with a 27 share.'. And all of the other people who watch the show who werent watching. For one..they're not necassarily 'talentless' once they get into the 'final' shows. (The actual performance shows) And the beginning shows, like I said, you may not find it entertaining..but there are some people that find..people singing like shit..and thinking that they actually sound good, funny. I, along with a lot of other people, literally laugh my ass off at some of the people that show up on this show. Even moreso then I would for a lot of 'scripted shows' (How does that automatically make a show better?)

Does it really matter if there's a coherent storyline? I mean, SNL has been on for over 25 years based on a format, not a storyline.

I really find it funny when people say things like that about a show..(or pretty much anything in general) yet, they'd take the time out to enter, and discuss in a thread about it, or take the time to look at, and post the ratings

I hate the show so much I think it is worth my time to beat it to the ground and tell people they are stupid for watching it. And I look up the ratings to see how many dumb Americans there are out there.

. It may not be to you..but it is to the people who created this 'The overnight rating was a 18.2 with a 27 share.'. And all of the other people who watch the show who werent watching. For one..they're not necassarily 'talentless' once they get into the 'final' shows. (The actual performance shows) And the beginning shows, like I said, you may not find it entertaining..but there are some people that find..people singing like shit..and thinking that they actually sound good, funny. I, along with a lot of other people, literally laugh my ass off at some of the people that show up on this show. Even moreso then I would for a lot of 'scripted shows' (How does that automatically make a show better?)

Well it doesn't "automatically" make it a better show because I'd rather watch American Idol than a few shows out there. (The O.C., Friends two shows I can't stand).

But you are missing the point.

When a show like American Idol is on, it takes jobs away from scripted writers. About 10 years ago, that 2 hour block that American Idol fills up would have gone to a show that was written by writers. It takes network television away from people, which is annoys me.

For example, Wonderfalls was on Fox last year. It isn't on this year so Fox could fill up timeslots with reality TV. The writers on Wonderfalls lost their jobs for reality TV shows like American Idol.

That is why I don't mind reality TV shows on MTV because there isn't any scripted shows on MTV. Since MTV isn't taking jobs away from writers, then I'll watch.

Does it really matter if there's a coherent storyline? I mean, SNL has been on for over 25 years based on a format, not a storyline.
What are you takling about? SNL has WRITERS which WRITE the show. American Idol just has editors to put together a show of a bunch of people singing, that no one will give a crap about a few years down the road.

Plus there is a coherent storyline in each skit that SNL does. American Idol doesn't. Simple as that.

Guest BrokenWings

I'm surprised the insane girl at the end hasn't been mentioned yet. I don't watch anything after the first two episodes, for the record.

What are you takling about? SNL has WRITERS which WRITE the show. American Idol just has editors to put together a show of a bunch of people singing, that no one will give a crap about a few years down the road.

Plus there is a coherent storyline in each skit that SNL does. American Idol doesn't. Simple as that.

I wrote that keeping in mind that you said "And the fact it takes away from scripted television really annoys me." which really doesn't reference the script writers and alludes more to the shows than any "behind the scenes" folk.

I used SNL as a reference because they write sketches and aren't concerned with any coherent continuing storylines, like most scripted shows. Are there writers? Yes, but again it's not what you appeared to be talking about initially.

I wrote that keeping in mind that you said "And the fact it takes away from scripted television really annoys me." which really doesn't reference the script writers and alludes more to the shows than any "behind the scenes" folk.

I used SNL as a reference because they write sketches and aren't concerned with any coherent continuing storylines, like most scripted shows. Are there writers? Yes, but again it's not what you appeared to be talking about initially.

When you have scripted television, there is obviously script writers. And when it takes away from scripted television, it takes away the writers. I didn't need to allude to it because I thought it was obvious.

I didn't say anything about coherent continuing storylines, so I don't know where you got that from.

Whatever, I don't like American Idol for the reasons I said before. It will never brace my TV set, ever.

When you have scripted television, there is obviously script writers. And when it takes away from scripted television, it takes away the writers. I didn't need to allude to it because I thought it was obvious.

There's the problem - it is obvious that there are scriptwriters for a scripted show, but it's not obvious that that was what you were driving at. Your post after that clarifies it, I understand your point about the writers.

I didn't say anything about coherent continuing storylines, so I don't know where you got that from.

You were responding to my post about it, which was about as vague as your initial post regarding scripted shows. My fault, and I tried to clarify that in the post previous.

When a show like American Idol is on, it takes jobs away from scripted writers. About 10 years ago, that 2 hour block that American Idol fills up would have gone to a show that was written by writers. It takes network television away from people, which is annoys me.

For example, Wonderfalls was on Fox last year. It isn't on this year so Fox could fill up timeslots with reality TV. The writers on Wonderfalls lost their jobs for reality TV shows like American Idol.

That is why I don't mind reality TV shows on MTV because there isn't any scripted shows on MTV. Since MTV isn't taking jobs away from writers, then I'll watch.

:huh: ...Unless you yourself, or possibly someone in your family is a writer, and lost their job or something, I can't exactly understand the displeasurement..

Maybe those writers..that lost their job, need to realize that Fox is not the only channel. 'American Idol' isn't taking their job, because hey, they can just go to NBC, or ABC, or WB, or UPN, etc. So that doesn't really make any sense. And yea..that 2 hour slot would be filled by what...5 year old reruns of the Simpsons? If you feel that a show like American Idol, takes the spot from Scripted shows, well...those Simpsons reruns for example, that are on Fox all the time, are taking away from new shows that could have that (I think, 6:00?) spot. Or Seinfield, or any other show that no longer comes on, so Fox just plays reruns.

And as for your example with Wonderfalls (I personally didn't like the show anyways) yea...after the show ended, I'm guessing the people lost their jobs. But now, there are these 'Script writers' that you think so highly of, working on, Point Pleasant for example. A new show, that is not, reality television. So possibly, if Wonderfalls was still on, (In this 9:00 spot) maybe Point Pleasant would not have this spot, and it wouldn't get on Fox, in turn, causing all of these writers for PP to not have a job. Would you hate Wonderfalls then? (Because it'd be doing the same thing that you hate American Idol. Well..one of them I guess)

Ok, the student to the singer that made it shouldn't have lost. Obviously he could sing. All they could say about him was he tried too hard. But they said the same thing about the teacher and she passed.

If 90% of television script writers weren't terrible at their jobs they wouldn't have to worry about it.

Guest LooneyTune

For every good writer, there's about 1,209,902,923 bad ones. How many shows are canceled in their first season? Too many to even name for one year.

...Unless you yourself, or possibly someone in your family is a writer, and lost their job or something, I can't exactly understand the displeasurement..

I am a aspiring writer myself and my goal in life is to write for television.

Maybe those writers..that lost their job, need to realize that Fox is not the only channel. 'American Idol' isn't taking their job, because hey, they can just go to NBC, or ABC, or WB, or UPN, etc. So that doesn't really make any sense.

First off, I am aware that these writers can go on different channels. However, the people still loose their job. My dad got fired from his job, he went out and got another. But he still lost his job. It sucked because he had to find a new one so he could support us. It works the same way with script writers.

But you aren't getting the point here. I wasn't just complaining about American Idol, but other reality TV shows. There are other RTV shows on other networks too, which take up the space of scripted television. There are only so many shows on network TV so there are only so many positions for the writers.

It does make sense, you just don't seem to get it.

And yea..that 2 hour slot would be filled by what...5 year old reruns of the Simpsons? If you feel that a show like American Idol, takes the spot from Scripted shows, well...those Simpsons reruns for example, that are on Fox all the time, are taking away from new shows that could have that (I think, 6:00?) spot. Or Seinfield, or any other show that no longer comes on, so Fox just plays reruns.
What would replace the 2 hour slot? A SCRIPTED TV SHOW THAT IS NEW. That is what I have been trying to get across but you don't seem to get.

And the 6:00 timeslot IS FOR RE-RUNS. It has been like that forever, well atleast as long as I can remember. Fox would never put a new show on at 6:00 because it wouldn't get the ratings, which would bring in the advertisers, which would bring in the money to make the new shows. The Simpsons, which are old, are bought for a cheaper price, advertisers buy time for a cheaper price, and usually the network will make some money.

And as for your example with Wonderfalls (I personally didn't like the show anyways) yea...after the show ended, I'm guessing the people lost their jobs. But now, there are these 'Script writers' that you think so highly of, working on, Point Pleasant for example. A new show, that is not, reality television. So possibly, if Wonderfalls was still on, (In this 9:00 spot) maybe Point Pleasant would not have this spot, and it wouldn't get on Fox, in turn, causing all of these writers for PP to not have a job. Would you hate Wonderfalls then? (Because it'd be doing the same thing that you hate American Idol. Well..one of them I guess)

Well if there wasn't any reality TV shows, then there would be MORE ROOM for scripted TV. Then Wonderfalls and Point Pleasant would both have a timeslot.

But I wouldn't be as annoyed if Point Pleasant didn't have a timeslot if Wonderfalls was still around because it lost out to a scripted TV show. Not a reality show where there isn't writers like in a regular TV show, but a show where they actually write what is going to happen all of the time. I care more about the actual business itself than a certain writer. Do you understand that, or do I have to break it down some more?

My point, which I have said about 40 times, that without reality TV, there would be more room for scripted TV. Simple as that.

And you are tring to tell me that you'd rather watch crappy reality TV shows, which are actually game shows, then a good ol' fashion drama? Or a funny sitcom?

Ok, the student to the singer that made it shouldn't have lost. Obviously he could sing. All they could say about him was he tried too hard. But they said the same thing about the teacher and she passed.

Agreed. He was one of my favorites for the night, with Ozzie Smiths son and the hot blonde girl that had a countryish voice being the other two.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

mole is stupid. this is a million times more entertaining than anything on tv, even if half of it...well 3/4 of it is scripted. Seacrest ouuut.

mole is stupid. this is a million times more entertaining than anything on tv, even if half of it...well 3/4 of it is scripted. Seacrest ouuut.

Yeah it must be better than LOST, Alias, Point Pleasant, House, Veronica Mars, ER, and Rugrats.

I am a inspiring writer myself and my goal in life is to write for television.

You seem like a nice guy, Mole, so I hope you don't take this personally, but you seem to have a long way to go.

The words you are looking for are "an aspiring", not "a inspiring".

As for American Idol, I always assumed the show would suck until I saw the last couple episodes of last season in May. I've enjoyed season 4 thus far and it seems like something I could watch every week. I still don't know if the appeal will last past the hilarity of the delusional talentless fools auditioning, though. I can't imagine how some of those people could actually believe that they have talent. As someone who is passionate about music and who is an aspiring musician, a few of those people almost made my ears bleed and my heart break simultaneously.

By the way, I don't remember what show it's supposed to be on, but some program is interviewing the crazy bitch in the near future. I think the commercial advertising that was on during Point Pleasant. Maybe someone else can fill us in with the details.

Who do you guys think is the best so far? My favorite is the blonde girl on the St. Louis episode who cited Martina McBride as her main influence. I can't remember her name, but she's hot as fuck and has a voice that's just as beautiful.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
mole is stupid.  this is a million times more entertaining than anything on tv, even if half of it...well 3/4 of it is scripted.  Seacrest ouuut.

Yeah it must be better than LOST, Alias, Point Pleasant, House, Veronica Mars, ER, and Rugrats.

YES on all counts.

The words you are looking for are "an aspiring", not "a inspiring".

That's what I said. Stop changing my words around...

My grammar needs plenty of work. But you can write a good story and still mess words up.

I would have gotten an A in creative writing if it weren't for my grammar.

YES on all counts.

I have bad tastes in TV...

No fair; you edited. You still forgot the a/an thing, though.

I didn't mean to sound rude or condescending. I just wanted to point your error out to you. As a fellow writer, I wish you all the luck in the world.