TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

The Official "52" Thread

I haven't read any ongoing DC comics for years.

I'm interested in starting again.

Should I start with Infinite Crisis, then go to 52, then One Year Later?

I know my Dc up through...'97 or '98. Will I be able to start at IC then go forward and understand what the fuck is going on?

Well, I'd suggest using a torrent, and getting all of the stuff BEFORE Infinite Crisis. (A lot of it was better then IC itself, plus I suggest torrent because I dont know how hard that would be to track down through comics stores)

If you start at IC I suppose you would still be able to understand somewhat, but I guess things like, if so and so was a bad guy, but in OYL is a good guy...you really wouldnt know.

But I thin you should go Pre-Infinite Crisis, Infinite Crisis, then OYL (Because 52, so far doesn't have much to do with any OYL series) although it's a lot of stuff

edit- Thinking about it, you could just catch up through Wikipedia. Although that's not as good of course.

for 52 to really hit home emotionally (well one of the stories) You'd need to read Identity Crisis - 7 issue mini that's a prelude to Infinite Crisis (kinda the kick off point for it)

and Infinite crisis is a 1 shot (Countdown) then it's four 4 issue mini series (OMAC Project, Villains United, Rann-Thanganar War & Day of Vengeance) and then the 7 issue actual Infinite Crisis

Identity Crisis should be a prerequisite. It's pre Infinite Crisis. Its events are important to OMAC and 52, in particular.

Also the Superman Sacrifice Storyline, which takes place in the middle of OMAC.

I started reading 52 at my brother-in-law's...read up to "Booster Gold exposed" issue. The "History of the DCU" stuff actually does help a newb like myself, as I haven't read any comics since I was a teenager.

The Question is very cheesy. "Tell me how you really feel" made me want to barf. The rest is ok though, I enjoy Black Adam's antics.

I really got my hopes up this week because I thought Steel was holding his stupid niece's decapitated head.

Nah, it's got to be a red herring. They're going a bit TOO up front with announcing his death on the cover.

So I caught up on the last couple weeks. I really liked the Sue Dibney resurection conflict and the ending with Ralph under the bridge was fucked up (and sad), but I loved him bringing his 'formerly dead' buddies along. And Hal laying the smack down on Wonder Girl was cool.

I agree about The Question, it's kind of wierd seeing his characterization here. He acts all mysterious and stuff and then kind of seems like an old frat boy when he's out of costume. But hey, I never read any of his comics, so he might have always been like this. I am surprised that DC never took the oportunity to turn him into a Rorshach clone though. It seems obvious to do since Rorshach was based on The Question.

And whatever happened to the space heroes?

All in all, still loving 52, but it almost seems stretched a little bit thin. Is it possible that a weekly yearlong series isn't enough space?

Hell, I might be willing to buy 2 issues of this a week.

Does anyone else think that Super Nova is one of the heroes that has been killed recently? I mean, since he's not appearing in any of the newest stuff, I was thinking he might be a Ted Kord from an alternate Earth or something screwed up like that. Or maybe he's Rip Hunter, or even possibly a different version of Booster with the right information on the timeline.

Ah well. Just speculation.

We still have along way to go with 52, so anything can still happen. Although, if they kill Black Adam I will be royally P.O'ed.

Does anyone else think that Super Nova is one of the heroes that has been killed recently? I mean, since he's not appearing in any of the newest stuff, I was thinking he might be a Ted Kord from an alternate Earth or something screwed up like that. Or maybe he's Rip Hunter, or even possibly a different version of Booster with the right information on the timeline.

Ah well. Just speculation.

Supernova appears to be someone that is familiar with Booster Gold.

In the issue Booster Gold is fighting a huge sea creature and screws things up, Supernova makes the save and makes some sly personal remarks toward Booster which causes Booster to attack him. Booster says "You think I'm a joke?" Nove replies "You are too pathetic to be a joke...You are just a loser." This prompts Booster Gold to go into one of those "I'll show you" moments and takes the nuclear sub into the air before it explodes. Supernova goes up in the air to catch him but by the time he gets there Booster Gold is just a skeleton.

The guess here is that since Booster's storyline involves time and time travel that there is going to be a twist at the end. Like Supernova being Booster Gold or something.

The guess here is that since Booster's storyline involves time and time travel that there is going to be a twist at the end. Like Supernova being Booster Gold or something.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

...because a supernova is what you end up with "when a star dies". I think it IS Booster, because in the alternate timeline of the future where everything was changed with his going back in time (Think the Alterna-Biff version of Hill Valley in BTTF2), he was able to see what an ass he was after the events of the Crisis, and sets himself up to either a) save his own life or b) take over in his old spot with a new identity that does not have any of the bad connotations to it (since he is not exactly sure what having two Boosters in the same time period (and having them know about each other's existence) would do (same thing with Jennifer (young) seeing Jennifer (old) in 2015 of BTTF2.

November Solicitations

52_Cv28_previews.jpg

Written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison,

Greg Rucka, Mark Waid

Breakdowns by Keith Giffen

Art by various

Backup features by Waid and various

Covers by J.G. Jones

The story of the year continues in five more chapters of America's only weekly super-hero adventure!

WEEK 26: “How altruistic can you be when you’re funded by LexCorp?” Plus, The Origin of Hawkman by Waid and Joe Bennett.

WEEK 27: “It’s Jean Loring. Sue’s murderer.” Plus, The Origin of Power Girl by Waid and Adam Hughes.

WEEK 28: “Maybe our time here is over. Red Tornado’s gone walkabout.” Plus, The Origin of Catman by Waid and Dale Eaglesham.

WEEK 29: “Th-th-they’re going to kill me. S-S-Supergirl’s going to kill me.”

“That's — the BLACK MARVEL FAMILY?” Plus, The Origin of The Joker by Waid and Brian Bolland.

WEEK 30: Get ready for the story you never expected! "Batman...No More” — a full length 22-page adventure featuring Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, Jason Todd and...Batwoman?!?

52: A year without Superman; a year without Batman; a year without Wonder Woman…but not a year without heroes.

Week 26 on sale November 1 • Week 27 on sale November 8

Week 28 on sale November 15 • Week 29 on sale November 22

Week 30 on sale November 29 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I too was thinking the exact same thing.

Looking forward to week 30, I was wondering if Batman's travels wer ever going to come into play in this series.

November Solicitations

WEEK 29: “Th-th-they’re going to kill me. S-S-Supergirl’s going to kill me.”

“That's — the BLACK MARVEL FAMILY?” Plus, The Origin of The Joker by Waid and Brian Bolland.

Even though it is only 2-3 pages, that is going to totally rule.